PDA

View Full Version : Police Procedure. What kind of documents might go into the file of a Missing Person's case?

ShaunHorton
07-14-2016, 05:13 AM
Basically, I want to do a little experiment and write a book in the style of storyline reveals in Horror games, where the player gets to piece together the story through files and papers found during game-play.

My idea is a journalist that goes missing while writing an article on "Haunting events" at a nearby prison. The story would be told through emails, transcripts of interviews he had with people while doing research, maybe some articles he found while researching, transcripts of interviews the police have while looking for him, and maybe pages of notes the journalist wrote.

My main question here is; would all that go into the file of a Missing Person's case? Is there any other kinds of files or documents that would be included? Pictures?

jclarkdawe
07-14-2016, 06:41 AM
Anything and everything that might help solve the case.

Jim Clark-Dawe

ironmikezero
07-14-2016, 07:23 PM
Jim pretty much nailed it--there's no limit to what could go into the file. The longer the case is on an agency's front burner (focused attention) the larger the file will grow.

WeaselFire
07-16-2016, 12:37 AM
It also kind of depends on who disappeared and what circumstances. A known runaway who is just shy of their eighteenth birthday might get a report taken and filed. Then nothing. A politician who went to see a former challenger and never returns might get a much more in depth investigation. If there are suspicious circumstances, police tend to look closer. If someone just doesn't show up for work one day but are known to randomly quit jobs and move around, the case may never perk anyone's interest.

So, for you, writing the story to engage the reader is of more concern than what exact documents might be filed. If you need them, have them appear. As long as the plot works and the circumstances are believeable, it will be fine.

Jeff