Info for Agent?

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
I posted a variant of this thread in the Writing Novels section, with little results, so I figured I'd move it here.

With my novel now in the hands of five editors at five major houses, would this be information I'd want to include in queries to agents? Or should I wait to see if anyone makes me an offer first?

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
popmuze said:
I posted a variant of this thread in the Writing Novels section, with little results, so I figured I'd move it here.

With my novel now in the hands of five editors at five major houses, would this be information I'd want to include in queries to agents? Or should I wait to see if anyone makes me an offer first?

Do these five major houses know you hve submitted simultaneously?

Most agent deals specify that they don't get a cut of anything you have already submitted IF it is taken by one of the houses you have submitted it to already. You should let them know where it has been submitted to this point to give them an idea of where NOT to start, and to clear up any confusions that might arise if they DO submit the book on your behalf.

Most publishers don't like simultaneous submissions. Some agents require exclusive contracts. Best to know before hand.

Regards,
Scott

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
popmuze said:

I would. And this is not an easy accomplishment. How on earth did you manage to get in the door? (Ah, I see. They know you.)

Last edited:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
popmuze said:
Kind of a tossup, but I think maybe it's better to approach agents with a ms. under consideration, than to have to tell them that five major imprints are out of the running (if you get rejected). So I'd approach the agents now, and I'd mention which houses are reading. Some agents may find it a plus (since you're actively being considered); some may regard it as a negative (since they didn't make the submission).
Most agent deals specify that they don't get a cut of anything you have already submitted IF it is taken by one of the houses you have submitted it to already.
This would only be true if you negotiated the contract yourself. If your new agent negotiates the contract, she gets her cut, the same as if she'd been the one to make the submission.

- Victoria