The Legend of Tarzan

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, I went today and caught a matinee of this new Tarzan film. I owe a tremendous debt to Edgar Rice Burroughs for helping get through my early teen years. with his novels. Ive seen most of the Tarzan films made. This is one of the better ones. Now, I know that's not saying much. Its visually beautiful, and clear wins on that count. The leads are great. The villain's great. The film deals with the source material's unfortunate colonialism by attacking it. Hence we get Samual L. Jackson playing a historical anti-slave activist, George Washington Williams, I think. The animals are CGI but magnificent. Tarzan wears chinos. It did better than expected t the box office. It's sort of an adaptation of Tarzan and the Jewels of Opar, with it's Belgian villain and such.

Anyone else see it?

J.J.PITTS

Registered
Reaction score
Saw it and loved it! My wife and I went out and watched it a couple days ago.

When we are leaving a theater, I always ask my wife to rate the movie we just saw, from 1 to 10. Get it while its fresh. She gave it an 8, possibly a 9. From her, that's saying a lot. The only recent movie she's like better was the new Independence Day, which she gave an unequivocal 10! It got a 5-6 from me.

For me, Tarzan was a 10. Like you, I grew up with Edgar Rice Burroughs, including the Tarzan stories. This may have been the best one I've ever seen, but my wife and I are also big Alexander Skarsgard fans. Loved, absolutely loved him in True Blood.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say 7.5, but I'm exceptionally picky. I'd have preferred the cabin on the beach to the tree house, for example.

Zombie Fraggle

Thick Skin Pre-Installed
Registered
Reaction score
I'll watch anything where Alexander Skarsgård has his shirt off, but I'm admittedly shallow in that regard. With him just a few weeks shy of 40, I'm beginning to think the dude actually is an ageless vampire.

His younger brother Bill (of Netflix's Hemlock Grove) portraying Pennywise in the 2017 reboot of Stephen King's It has the potential of providing me with some really messed-up and possibly incestuous nightmares.

ETA: Crappy grammar made it sound like *I* was just shy of 40.

ETA2: And their dad is Bootstrap Bill from the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise. So yeah . . . really messed up dreams here.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't seen it but the coming attractions look so over the top, I have trouble being interested. I'll wait 'til it's on DVD.

I tried to read Edgar Rice Burroughs' Carter from Mars but it was too dated for my taste. I respect the man as a key author from his day, but I grew up annoyed at the sexism from that era and Burroughs' work was some of the worst.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Huh...every review (all two of them) I've read said this movie was a stinker.

Which was a shame, because the premise sounded dope as shit!

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To be completely honest, all I really want from life is a Tarzan at the Earth's Core film. Pelucidar in all it's CGI glory. Tarzan vs dinosaurs, the lizard men, the zeppelin, all of it. But, if we get a sequel, I'd go Beasts of Tarzan/Son of Tarzan or Tarzan Untamed/Tarzan the Terrible or Tarzan and the City of Gold/Tarzan Returns with La and Opar.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Huh...every review (all two of them) I've read said this movie was a stinker.

Which was a shame, because the premise sounded dope as shit!

Rotten Tomatoes has it at 36% for critics but 71% for moviegoers. Tarzan is not the best movie you will ever see, but it does have some qualities to appreciate, a lot of which have already been named in the thread. Sometimes I feel like critics want to shit on anything that doesn't have Marvel or Star Wars in the title, just because they can.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't seen it but the coming attractions look so over the top, I have trouble being interested. I'll wait 'til it's on DVD.

I tried to read Edgar Rice Burroughs' Carter from Mars but it was too dated for my taste. I respect the man as a key author from his day, but I grew up annoyed at the sexism from that era and Burroughs' work was some of the worst.

They fixed a good bit of the sexism, but Jane came off as just a bit of a furry. Jane kicks some serious ass in a couple of the novels. But, yeah, the books have lots of problems with sexism, racism, and colonialism but the character is so classic that I don''t see a problem with trying to bring Tarzan to the big screen while updating some it to fit modern sensibilities. And to his credit, the white man was always trying to plunder the resources of Africa, steal precious artifacts, make jungle movies, and other atrocities in Burrough's novels. And Tarzan has always had a certain environmental and ecological bend as a major theme in a few stories.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's pulling fairly strong numbers internationally. And there are more and more good reviews popping up in weird places. If you've ever liked Tarzan, you should see this, the best ever Tarzan movie. Currently #1 in China, right now.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I thought it was overly long, especially the flashback scenes, and the resolution was too easy and achieved too quickly, considering all the build-up.

But, Alexander Skarsgard shirtless, and we saw it at free reviewer screening, so, not a waste of my time. Kind of glad I didn't shell out $12 for a ticket, but not bad.

They mitigated a lot of the racism and sexism that are traditionally problematic in Tarzan. I just thought it dragged overall.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
I had fun with it. Did I think it was the best movie ever? Nah. Were there problems? Yup. But I got to forget about the real world for 2 hours and watch it. I did find some of it a little dragging and I wished that priest line wasn't in there because it felt too modern, but otherwise, I really had a good time.