One-word term for fine sand like in sand clock?

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
Is there any one-word term for the fine sand as found in sand clocks or on the beach?

I was intending to use such term for the description of a sand-like material in the gallbladder, officially called gallbladder sludge.

Last edited:

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
Because I feel I need to provide further explanation of what the sludge in the gallbladder is. Also, sludge is explained as "mud," but biliary sludge is composed of small crystals, which makes it fine sand. We here have one word for "fine sand," but if this is it, no problem.

Last edited:

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
I agree. Say that it is like silt or fines. Silt is a much more common word, and there is a progression from fine sand to the finest of clay particles.

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
Living 10 minutes from one of the best beaches in the U.S., with some of the whitest, finest sand you will find on any beach, we fondly call it powder. It literally feels like baby powder and is so fine it actually squeaks when walked on.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Silt sounds perfect.
I have spent most of today trying to find a way to use gallbladder sludge in a sentence. Just to Amaze My Friends.

Still working on it.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Aggregates are named according to their particle size.

Sand is usually 2mm to 0.06mm.

0.06 to 0.002mm is silt.

Below that, it's clay.

This comes from my husband, who is a Chartered Minerals Surveyor, and who can talk geology with the best of them.