PDA

View Full Version : Success with articles, does it matter?

M.Charles
07-06-2016, 06:29 PM
Question for any agents out there, or anyone else who could answer:

I've had some success w/freelance articles. One article in particular went insanely viral, over 3 million FB shares, quoted on Good Morning America, interviewed for a Canadian news spot, republished in the UK kind of nuts. But that was last spring (Kate Middleton article, when she had the new baby)

I've also been on HuffPo, BuzzFeed, blah blah blah.

Does any of that matter at all, when pitching? The articles I've written tend to be humour, and there *is* humour in my novel, but def not with a parenting slant, as many of the articles are.

Because they're very different styles of writing, is this something I should mention at all, when querying? Would it actually help?

Dennis E. Taylor
07-06-2016, 06:59 PM
I don't have a ton of experience (read: zero) but I'd look at it from the point of view of an agent. An agent is looking for something he can sell to publishers, and make commission on. Extra info in your query letter might make him/her slightly more inclined to read an extra sentence or two beyond where they might otherwise stop, but that's about it. If the work is good, it's good. If it's bad, (must resist Mae West quote), it's bad.

M.Charles
07-06-2016, 07:25 PM
I don't have a ton of experience (read: zero) but I'd look at it from the point of view of an agent. An agent is looking for something he can sell to publishers, and make commission on. Extra info in your query letter might make him/her slightly more inclined to read an extra sentence or two beyond where they might otherwise stop, but that's about it. If the work is good, it's good. If it's bad, (must resist Mae West quote), it's bad.

Love me some Mae West, LOL!

Yeah, I'm just not sure if being able to write articles matters at all, in terms of writing a novel. Wondering if I should also try writing a short story, and shipping that around, to at least get something fictional published, if that would help more than having articles under my belt.

mayqueen
07-06-2016, 07:25 PM
I don't think it would hurt you to include it. It might not help necessarily, but I can't imagine it would hurt. At the very last, it shows that you can work as a professional with other professionals. But I'm not an agent or anything, so I don't know for sure.

ETA: Cross-posted, but I think yes, if you can get short fiction published reputably, that can help your query (all things being equal, of course -- I can't imagine a confusing query letter and a sloppy sample chapter would help, even if you were published very highly in short fiction).

M.Charles
07-06-2016, 08:12 PM
I don't think it would hurt you to include it. It might not help necessarily, but I can't imagine it would hurt. At the very last, it shows that you can work as a professional with other professionals. But I'm not an agent or anything, so I don't know for sure.

ETA: Cross-posted, but I think yes, if you can get short fiction published reputably, that can help your query (all things being equal, of course -- I can't imagine a confusing query letter and a sloppy sample chapter would help, even if you were published very highly in short fiction).

Thanks. Just trying to puzzle out my time allotment, LOL! I'll def see if I can come up w/something to sub to some short story places, while I'm still editing and revising. I'm close, so close to being ready to query, but not quite...

Siri Kirpal
07-06-2016, 09:42 PM
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I'd include it. Anything that went viral has the chance that you've got name recognition...and that can lead to book sales.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Anna Spargo-Ryan
07-07-2016, 02:01 AM
I'd include it. Not the specifics about going viral, but mentions in your bio/credits in a format like: "My feature writing has been published in the Huffington Post, BuzzFeed, ..."

M.Charles
07-07-2016, 02:34 AM
Thanks, all.

It can't hurt, right? Better to have some sort of writing floating out there, is what I'm leaning towards.