M1 Abrams and fire

Mr.Letterman

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone :)

I seem to be banging my head against the wall looking for facts on this specific type of destruction. I believe it is due to the sensitive nature of the topic. I have found how many have been destroyed and what weapons or munitions did the deed, but I want to know if an Abrams covered in flames, say from a Molotov cocktail, would still function. I found some facts about their ventilation and how they can be fitted for biological warfare, ie. sealed and pressurized compartments much like level 4 bio-safety lab (not to that extent of course, but similar). For arguments sake, say the tank was rammed by a full fuel tanker and an explosion ensued, would the crew suffocate, be cooked, or live to fight another day? Would the tank die? I know they have fire suppression systems inside the engine bay, but what about outside?

Any help is appreciated and thank you advance for those who do.

Cheers water-cooler folks.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Don't know other than how it got funded. Ted Kennedy was the deciding vote. They had him go and see a tank getting shot by a TOW missile. Then they brought out an Abrams and had him shoot it with a TOW. He laughed and said they were no better than the old tanks. Then the crew got out of the Abrams, saluted him, got back in and drove away.

So my guess is the crew of the Abrams would laugh at the fire.

R.Barrows

Count the Electrons
Registered
Reaction score
So my guess is the crew of the Abrams would laugh at the fire.

Seconded. I think the fuel would burn off before the crew suffocates. All they need to do is seal the vents and keep going. The Abrams can function up to 5 meters underwater with a snorkel, and the snorkel is for the engine. (This is primarily done for river crossings when there's no bridge). I can't say for certain how much oxygen is in the crew compartment, but there should be enough to keep them alive until they can open the vents again.

In your research, did it say how long the crew can function if the compartment is sealed and pressurized?

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
The amount of time when the tank will be in the fire would determine the results. That would also be relevant to how hot the tank would get.

Langadune

Harley Writer
Registered
Reaction score
The part of Kansas that doesn't look like the part
The M1A has "overpressure clean-air conditioning" for protection in atmospheric problems such as chemical warfare. The crew would be protected for some time while sealed in as long as the turbine engine (which powers the generator, which feeds the A/C) is still functioning. The newer versions also have Thermal Mamagement System to regulate the temperature in the crew compartment under extreme conditions... this is not only for crew survivability, but also for the electronics in use by the tank.

This website has great detailed information.

- - - Updated - - -

ETA:

Exact details like how long a crew can survive may be considered classified.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Two weak points: tracks & fuel. The M1 is by far the biggest gas guzzler. It won't go far without fuel. Just blow the tracks and wait for it to run out of fuel.

Which makes me wonder how you can find a lone M1 in the first place. Those things runs in packs to protect each other out and provide cover to the logistics following behind (i.e. fuel, ordinance, and maintenance).

-cb

Last edited:

Mr.Letterman

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, thanks everyone. I struggled to find a definitive answer on that one. Well looks like another short rewrite is in order (yay)

Also, the tank isn't alone but is the tank on point in a v formation

Thanks again. One day I'll know something useful and return the favour :)

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...I want to know if an Abrams covered in flames, say from a Molotov cocktail, would still function.

Take a look at the Hungarian revolt against the Soviet Union in the 1960's. It basically proved that peasants armed with Molotov cocktails did little to no damage to to the Soviet T60 tanks of the era. Tanks only got better while Molotovs stayed the same.

Jeff

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Take a look at the Hungarian revolt against the Soviet Union in the 1960's. It basically proved that peasants armed with Molotov cocktails did little to no damage to to the Soviet T60 tanks of the era. Tanks only got better while Molotovs stayed the same.

Jeff

I was also thinking of the 1956 Hungarian Revolution, and the rebels used Molotovs cocktails to excellent effect. They did little damage to the tanks, but they cooked the crews that didn't bail out quickly.

Last edited:

Trebor1415

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
What do you need to have happen for the story? We might be able to help if we know more specifics. Do you just need the tank disabled in a way that allows the crew to survive? Or destroyed in a way the crew would be severely injured or killed? Or are you looking for some "cool and weird" way the attackers could take out the tank? Let us have the details of what you need and what the tank is doing at that moment in the story.