PDA

View Full Version : Need Betas for my weird near future Sci-fi novel. Willing to swap

OneWhoWrites
07-05-2016, 09:31 PM
I'm looking for betas for my ~103K word novel. Like the thread title says, I'm willing to swap. I'm also willing to take it slow. If you just want to start with a chapter or three, that's totally fine.

I have a hard time describing and classifying my novel. The main characters are in their early 20s and the plot has strong coming of age/maturing elements. I've never felt comfortable classifying it as either YA or Adult---I feel like it's in a gray area between the two. I'd call it New Adult, but I'm told that's a subgenre of romance of which this novel certainly isn't.

Genre-wise, it's most similar to science fiction, though it's definitely not hard sci-fi and not really speculative. There are horror/thriller/psychological elements as well. The best words I can use to describe it are "unabashedly weird". I've also been told it feels like a comic book in novel form, for what that's worth

I'm looking for someone to help point out any writing bad habits I have, e.g. filter words, repetitive sentence structure, lack of description. Any help pinning down my genre would also be appreciated. You don't have to do a line by line, although it would rock if you did. Additionally, I'm looking for feedback on whether the characters have enough personality, if they're believable, and if you can empathize with them. From a plot perspective, I'm looking for feedback on whether the plot is compelling, properly paced, and whether or not it keeps you engaged. I think I've closed my plot holes, but I could use someone to point out any that remain.

I'd be happy to provide more information or answer any questions either by post or PM. I look forward to hearing from you!

Shay Dee
07-06-2016, 01:49 AM
Hey there!

I'm currently looking for a swap with a beta, hopefully we'll be a good fit? I had the same issue in regards to category. I think it's so much safer to call mine NA as I've had agents tell me it has that "sound" to it. Anyhow, my novel is complete at 89k and is a soft/commercial Sci-fi. I've just finished another edit before heading out for pitching again and although I've had eyes look at my work before but I'd love another for this round of edits.

You can reach me at shaydee7@hotmail.co.uk if you're interested!

OneWhoWrites
07-06-2016, 04:29 PM
Hey there!

I'm currently looking for a swap with a beta, hopefully we'll be a good fit? I had the same issue in regards to category. I think it's so much safer to call mine NA as I've had agents tell me it has that "sound" to it. Anyhow, my novel is complete at 89k and is a soft/commercial Sci-fi. I've just finished another edit before heading out for pitching again and although I've had eyes look at my work before but I'd love another for this round of edits.

You can reach me at shaydee7@hotmail.co.uk if you're interested!

I'd love to swap with you! I'll email you with more information later today.