Research for post-apocalypse

OwlEyes

Registered
Reaction score
Website
theauthorialowl.wordpress.com
Not a total apocalypse, maybe a half-apocalypse.

If this is the wrong place for this question, please move it or delete, then let me know where the right place is.

My current WIP is ready for a solid round of critiquing. While that's being done, I'd like to start researching for a possible follow-up book, but I don't know how to research what the world might be like some 10 - 20 years in the future. The first story is set in 2014 in a large fictional U.S. city. Demons need a massive diversion on Earth to draw angels out of the realm of Light, so they incite humans into widespread violence. Destruction is uneven though, with some countries ending up better off than others. I'm supposing third-world nations would take the brunt. Even within the U.S., some cities are worse off than others. Electricity has been difficult to restore, world-wide, because demons are purposely sabotaging those efforts.

So what does the world look like less than a generation after something like this? How are things like food and water affected, how is clothing made and transported, how is anything transported? This is my first foray into a universe like this so I don't know how writers answer these questions.

One person suggested watching some Earth-based sci-fi TV shows or movies and I did rent the TV show Jericho, though I haven't watched it yet. Does anybody have other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's a bit too broad of a question. You might consider slicing it up into parts and asking about the ones you are stuck on.

Remora

Registered
Reaction score
When you say "incite humans into widespread violence", it sounds like they cause rioting and pandemonium, as opposed to, say, total nuclear devastation. If that's the case, it might be helpful to go take a look at a couple of things:

-Real or fictional examples of mob violence and hysteria
-Disaster relief efforts in real life- e.g. Katrina, the aftermath of the Iraq invasion, Fukushima (sp?) in Japan, the Flint crisis right now.
-Economic disasters, starting with the Great Depression

I would just start asking Google and Wikipedia for examples of all this stuff and read closely to see what types of coping behaviors and mechanisms get taken up when normal supply chains are disrupted (e.g. what's going on in Venezuela right now). There aren't a lot of examples of how society reacts to demonic sabotage in real life :) but if you take a few real-life examples of behaviors from other disasters and sprinkle them in, it will add that touch of realism you're looking for. E.g. one of the first things that almost always happens in real disasters is profiteering- people trying to make a quick buck by jacking up prices for water and food in the disaster zone.

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
Seconding everything Remora said. You might also want to research the 1992-1996 Bosnian War. Sarajevo went from a modern city that hosted the 1984 Winter Olympics to an active war zone that suffered the longest siege in the history of modern warfare. Its rebuilding since may also give you ideas.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Things would return to normal in a few months, except in places like Haiti, where things never were that good. Assuming that the infrastructure has been widely damaged and civil authorities have been hammered and the population has been cut by 90%, then it might take a year for things to be humming again. Humans are difficult to kill, and knowledge is widely dispersed, so things would just be put back in shape, and considering how necessary it would be it probably would be rebuilt with fewer hitches, than if it were being done now.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Third world countries often suffer the least from apocalyptic disasters. No technology to lose. Take a look at Vietnam post-US occupation. Took about a month for villagers to replant crops, rebuild housing and livestock pens and continue on with life as it always was. Even the issues with mines, unexploded munitions and damaged transportation lines had little effect. Central governments and societies that deal with them are far more affected by collapse than those whose lives were unaffected to begin with.

The Bhopal chemical plant explosion killed thousands. Locals buried the dead and went back to work. The 2004 earthquake and tsunami sent 100 foot waves over the province of Aceh in Sumatra, wiping out anything and anyone on the coast. A year later life was back to normal, other than some industries leaving the area. Take a look at genocides such as Pol Pot's regime in Cambodia and the East Pakistan/Bangladesh genocide that each killed hundreds of thousands to millions of people. The basic farmers and other subsistence occupations have changed little due to regime change.

Compare all this to Katrina, Germany after WWII, Japan after WWII, the Soviet States and so on and you'll see that local apocalypses (apocalypsi?) have far greater affect on more advanced countries. But then, since nobody in recorded history has faced a global plague of demonic origin and your technological time frame has yet to occur, you might have some latitude to fit your story into.

Jeff

Last edited:

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
I tell people interested in writing dystopian or post-apocalyptic fiction that they should check out and read Nothing to Envy. Not only do you get insight into life inside North Korea, but basically North Korea has been living the whole dystopian/post-apocalyptic thing. Though they preached self-reliance and how they don't need the help of other nations, the reality is that they were heavily dependent on the Soviet Union for handouts and once the USSR collapsed, the North Korean economy went into a freefall that it's never recovered from. It's a little better now, because China is giving them handouts, but when it comes to North Korea, their economy isn't in the toilet; it's in the ground beneath the toilet. That's how bad it is.

realityfix

Banned
Reaction score
Ahhhh! Dystopian stories are my thing. I pondered your questions and have some ideas to toss back at you. First, even a pending war between angels and demons can't be kept secret from humans so you will have political leaders and countries taking sides. At this point, with allies established, it should degenerate into an actual war and not just a series of terrorist acts. Second, the countries that were spared the worst of the damage are most likely the countries that weren't the battlefields. Also, they might have had a better deal with their ally of either demon or angel. So, I would say your setting should look something like a world war with limited tactical nukes with most of the power grid and communications offline because of EMP weapons. Since the different sides are backed by supernatural entities, I would say that each side has at least one safe haven, a large city that has been protected by the supernatural powers of their ally.

I guess the critical question here is why are the demons and angels fighting and why did the demons make the first move? One would think there has been an uneasy truce between good and evil for thousands of years so what is the catalyst that's breaking the truce now? Forgive me, I'm not trying to rain on your idea, but you might want to check out one of the seasons of the TV series Supernatural. They did a whole theme on the truce being broken and demons and angels using Earth as their battleground. If you can take a plot idea that others have mined and put your own spin on it and make it your own then more power to you. Anyway, I hope my thoughts help. Good luck to your WIP.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
'The world' is a very big place. I think you'd be better off focussing on your fictional 'major U.S. city', and only mention the rest of the world as fleetingly as possible.
I'm with Weaselfire in a general way: places without much modern technology will do much better than cities. People living 'off the grid', people living 'traditional' lives anywhere. People who never had much access to modern life.
A family in a village in rural India might not notice for a while that the electricity they only get for a couple of hours a night hasn't been on for a week.
The Amish farmer who only realises that there's a problem when he goes into town. (Or meets people fleeing the town.)
There are people herding sheep or plowing with water-buffalo who might not notice for even longer.

Depends on how the demons incite violence, as well. It's easy enough to start trouble in a big, crowded city. In a small town, or better yet, a village or family group, where people know each other, at least by sight, people are going to both cut each other a little more slack, and know the trouble-makers and sore spots.

OwlEyes

Registered
Reaction score
Website
theauthorialowl.wordpress.com
Ooh you guys have some great ideas, thanks!!

In my story world, it is indeed possible to keep the pending violence a secret. Most of the lower ranking demons don't even know that much about it until they're given specific orders that touch off the global violence. The reason for it is that the angels are holding as prisoner Satan's second-in-command and a group of demons plans to break him out so he can challenge Satan for ultimate rule of hell. But that's hard to do when prisoners in the realm of Light are surrounded by angels, so the demons start this global catastrophe to bring the angels into the human realm as a diversion.

So the demons are not planning to annihilate humans, they just want to cause enough trouble to keep as many angels as possible occupied on Earth. When the angels discover humans across the globe have seemingly gone mad and have turned on each other, the scale of it can't be ignored so the angels do try to intervene. They run into armies of demons on Earth who are more capable than humans of fighting angels, keeping them away from the realm of Light so the rebel demons can rescue their comrade.

So examples of any large-scale recovery efforts by communities would be helpful for me, and you guys offered some wonderful starting points. :)