PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations: Formatting of Novel to be Published via Createspace

ScribeLady
07-03-2016, 01:05 AM
I am seeking recommendations for the formatting of a novel, to be published via Createspace.
Has anyone heard of Polgaris Studios? Or, By Your Side Publishing?

Polgaris, which is based in Australia, wants to be paid up front, not 50%/50%.

I'm so afraid of being scammed. Any suggestions?

Scribe Lady

AW Admin
07-03-2016, 01:18 AM
Why not just do the formatting yourself or use draft2digital?

https://www.draft2digital.com/

ASeiple
07-03-2016, 01:43 AM
Are you using MS-Word or Openoffice? Createspace has some nifty templates that save a hell of a lot of fuss.

ScribeLady
07-03-2016, 02:31 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't feel I have the skills to format an entire novel myself.

Scribe Lady

ASeiple
07-03-2016, 03:47 AM
Okay. Well, I can't speak to By Your Side or Polgaris, then, sorry. Good luck with the background checks!

AW Admin
07-03-2016, 03:59 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't feel I have the skills to format an entire novel myself.

Scribe Lady

Then definitely check out draft2digital.

Dennis E. Taylor
07-03-2016, 04:41 AM
I did my own formatting for Createspace. It was mostly just a matter of taking it slow and checking each thing before moving on. If you want to pay someone else to format the document for you, though, I can understand it. But for someone who knows what they're doing, they should be charging you a couple hundred at most.

AW Admin
07-03-2016, 04:50 AM
I did my own formatting for Createspace. It was mostly just a matter of taking it slow and checking each thing before moving on. If you want to pay someone else to format the document for you, though, I can understand it. But for someone who knows what they're doing, they should be charging you a couple hundred at most.

I think anyone charging more than 50.00 to convert a word.doc that's in good shape to an ebook via a script is over charging.

If you're charging 100.00 or more for ebook creating, it should involve hand-coding custom CSS at the very least. And QA.

Draft2digital charges a percentage, and they'll do all formatting and uploading to multiple services. I haven't used them yet, but I'm planning to. I'll report on the process when I do.

Tavia
07-03-2016, 05:19 AM
ScribeLady, is this for ebook or for print?

cmhbob
07-03-2016, 05:34 AM
Formatting using the CreateSpace templates can be tedious, but it's not difficult. It's mainly a bunch of format painting. If you can do that in Word, you should be able to do it for CS. You could also check out the CS Forums for help.

https://www.createspace.com/en/community/index.jspa

ASeiple
07-03-2016, 05:59 AM

If it's Createspace, she's probably talking print... well, they DO have that ebook conversion option, but I've heard horror stories.

Old Hack
07-03-2016, 10:52 AM
If you're creating an e-book, you need someone to do the formatting for you.

If you're creating a print edition, you need a typesetter.

You can't use the same file for both digital and print editions.

ScribeLady
07-03-2016, 08:56 PM

It's for print. I will use Createspace.

Thanks for your interest.

Scribe Lady

ScribeLady
07-03-2016, 08:58 PM
Tavia,

It's for print. (createspace)

Scribe Lady

ironmikezero
07-03-2016, 09:35 PM
Another vote for Draft to Digital (D2D). . . Createspace (print) requires a MS submission in .pdf. D2D accepts .doc and .rtf MS submissions, performs conversions, and provides e-pub file variants (mobi, etc.) and .pdf files. You can use the files as you please. I found D2D very easy to work with, and I take advantage of their e-pub distribution. I've used the supplied .pdf file in a separate Createspace (print submission)--although you can go through D2D for a Createspace submission (they'll get their cut, 15% or 10% of list). It's your call, but I like the peace of mind in knowing D2D has always done it well for me with no real hassles.

M. H. Lee
07-03-2016, 09:35 PM
Not sure if you've already decided on how to do this, but just wanted to pop in and say DO NOT use Draft2Digital to create your paperback file. They are fantastic about taking a Word document and creating an ebook out of it, but not what you need for paperback. Too may fiddly details involved to auto-create a paperback file.

Another option is Createspace themselves. They offer formatting services. Not sure of price, but I'd assume their quality is at an acceptable level.

raelwv
07-04-2016, 06:32 AM
Formatting using the CreateSpace templates can be tedious, but it's not difficult.

This. I've done that with all three of my books and they came out fine. Nothing fancy (I don't, for example, have any photos or illustrations), but it looks clean.

SarahCat
07-09-2016, 10:45 AM
I just published my first children's book with Createspace and I was amazed by the quality. Since this is my first project, I went with the CS templates because I was too afraid to do it myself without any guides or paying someone to do it. While using their pre-made templates seemed quite daunting to me at first, I realized that I needed to take it one step at a time, take a deep breath, and slowly start to work on my formatting.

I downloaded a word document in which the margins were already set and I used the fonts that were in the template because I didn't want to take chances. I did have to resize a lot of my pictures but I worked on the formatting in order of what I wanted the book to look like.

You can specify the size and length of your book and you will get a template of a word document. Do the best you can to adjust your font size to the margins of your book. This was the tricky part for me, but my pages didn't have too much text.

https://www.createspace.com/Help/Book/Artwork.do

I am proud of my project, and I will definitely use CS for my future projects.

I hope this helps.
SC