PDA

View Full Version : Therapy

celticroots
07-02-2016, 11:31 PM
In one WIP I am working on the MC is an amputee having lost her arm. From my research, the main things addressed in the hospital is pain management, monitoring wound healing, etc. The residual limb is also massaged to get it used to pressure. A sock like thing "a shrinker" is often worn for the same reason.

In the hospital, there's going to be some physical therapy. And there's occupational therapy. Would some occupational therapy take place when the patient is still in the hospital? Or would it begin after the patient's release?

Thanks.

Siri Kirpal
07-03-2016, 02:32 AM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Therapy begins in the hospital, but for major stuff needs to be continued in a rehab facility. In the hospital, it's things like: getting in and out of bed.

That's what happened when my mother had open heart surgery. There were a number of accident victims with major injuries to their legs in the rehab center with her. But for an arm, your character might need only what's in the hospital, because walking and toilet transfer and such like won't be an issue. If she's lost her main hand in losing the arm, that's what the main therapy will focus on...which probably would require rehab outside a hospital. But if it's not her writing hand, the main thing is how to do those things we usually learn to do two-handed, like fill a thermos with water. That probably wouldn't require rehab.

Others who know more will doubtless come along with more info.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

CEtchison
07-03-2016, 08:04 AM
This.

https://www.aota.org/-/media/corporate/files/aboutot/professionals/whatisot/rdp/facts/upper%20limb%20amputee%20fact%20sheet.pdf

Catherine_Beyer
07-04-2016, 09:16 AM
absolutely. often seeing an occupational therapist is a requirement of you going home, because they instruct you how to accomplish basic things. In this case, it would be things like getting dressed and undressed, feeding oneself, etc. When I broke my hip, it was things like sitting up from a laing position and getting up and down stairs. It was also adjustments we needed to make to the house to accomodate me.

MDSchafer
07-05-2016, 04:15 AM
Having worked with disabled veterans in the past yes, some therapy starts in the hospital, but most often they won't discharge someone home after an amputation until they some sort of discharge plan that includes a lot of therapy. The VA does a lot, but there are also private, nonprofit facilities that are dedicated to veteran rehab.

celticroots
07-07-2016, 04:47 AM
Interesting. MC isn't a veteran, but do they have similar facilities for people who aren't veterans? I'd assume she'd still need physical therapy. And ongoing work on how to use the prosthesis.

MDSchafer
07-07-2016, 05:30 AM
Interesting. MC isn't a veteran, but do they have similar facilities for people who aren't veterans? I'd assume she'd still need physical therapy. And ongoing work on how to use the prosthesis.

Yeah, the specialized rehabs also work with civilians.

sweet.intuit
08-14-2016, 01:20 AM
Although I’m a physical therapist, I have very limited experience with arm amputees. But from my understanding, I imagine that there would be ongoing visits with physical therapy, occupation therapy, and the prosthetist. The differences between physical therapy and occupational therapy when it comes to the arm are nuanced, but she would definitely require/benefit from both, at least until your character feels like she is set. After that, follow-ups may be necessary due to body changes that require adjustments, or as the technology of prosthetics evolves s i.e. if she would like to try something more advanced.