Worst songs of all time, Part II -- CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
"American Pie"(the song, not the movie, for you young'uns) is a masterpiece. The list is ridicalikalikalis. IMO.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
AquaDan said:
"American Pie"(the song, not the movie, for you young'uns) is a masterpiece. The list is ridicalikalikalis. IMO.

im not even going to look at the list if it put american pie in there.

its one of the greatest songs of all time.

thats not even an opinion. everyone knows that.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
The list is obviously bogus.

I mean, they called "The Macarena" a song. :crazy: I always thought of it as the unfortunate side effect of too much alcohol consumption. But music? Never.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good article. I'd put Madonna's latest piece of tripe on top of that list, along with everything Britney Spears has ever done.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
It's absolutely on target about 1974 being the worst year ever. Their dishonorable list is breathtaking, and they even left off "Radar Love" by Golden Earring. I remember that year with particular vividness, as I spent most of the summer doing student geological field work outside Park City, Utah, traveling in a van which could only get one radio station in the area clearly, a top-40 station that played these horrors over and over and over and over . . .

caw.

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
ChunkyC said:
Good article. I'd put Madonna's latest piece of tripe on top of that list,

Hey, that's an insult to all the honest tripe out there!

But, American Pie???? C'mon! One of the classics!

I'd add anything by Justin "I wanna be Michael Jackson" Timberlake, and Milli Vanilli before even glancing at Don McLean. No, wait, there's a million others I'd rather put on before even suggesting the notion of American Pie.

Maybe they got it confused with Madonna's mutant version of it a few years ago.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is obviously a kiddie list. Same people who think Mariah Carey sings the greatest love songs of all time.

No objections to "A Horse With No Name"? It's really not a bad tune.

I'd add Paul McCartney and Wings' "Jet". And "Let 'em In". Pain, pain, pain.

Oh. And everything by Bon Jovi and Def Leppard. (Are they really different bands?)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The current song I hate the most is My Humps by the Black Eyed Peas. I want to throw the radio out the window ever time I heard that thing.

Muskrat Love by Captain and Tennille would make my list of all-time hated songs.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I was glad to see that awful "I've never been to me" song. It's like she's been all over the world, but she's bummed out because she's never had an orgasm. Geesh.

One I'd have to add is the Pina Colada song.

:::shudder:::

Puddle Jumper

Another song I would add to the list of worst songs is "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go." Go go?

Wake me up before you go go,
Don't leave me hanging on like a yo-yo.

The singer was a yo-yo.

American Pie is a good song. This list also put "We Built This City" on their worst list. That's also and awesome song!

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
I'm too late to vote. I would have said "The Name Game" (remember? Lincoln, Lincoln, bo binkin, banana-bana bo binkin, Lincoln) and "Spirit in the Sky." These are old. I don't know the more recent songs.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Puddle Jumper said:
This list also put "We Built This City" on their worst list. That's also and awesome song!
I respectfully disagree. I back the inclusion of this song on that list. The same people (more or less) who brought us "Somebody to Love", "Volunteers" and "White Rabbit"? What happened?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
LightShadow said:
The worst, and the young'uns may not recognize it, but the fellow old farts will, was SATURDAY NIGHT by the Bay City Rollers.

Reeeeeal bad, fer sher. And these guys were touted as "The New Beatles". Wonder what they're doing now, aged about 50?

caw.

Puddle Jumper

poetinahat said:
I respectfully disagree. I back the inclusion of this song on that list. The same people (more or less) who brought us "Somebody to Love", "Volunteers" and "White Rabbit"? What happened?
One of the cool songs from my youth. The only lyrics I know are "We built this city on rock and roll."

It is interesting though how songs we liked as a kid, when we get older and read the lyrics we're like - how in the world could I have liked that?

When I was a kid I remember seeing the music video "Pop Goes the World" on MTV. I absolutely loved it. A couple years ago I think I looked up the lyrics and was like - what the heck?

It seems like a lot of rock and roll songs are lacking in creative lyrics.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LightShadow said:
The worst, and the young'uns may not recognize it, but the fellow old farts will, was SATURDAY NIGHT by the Bay City Rollers.
What a fine example of a mindless formulaic teeny-bopper pop tune.

Wish I'd written it.
tongue.gif

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
"We built ..." was voted worst song by a few worthy organizations a few years back. For those who grew into liking the hippy dippy stuff that emerged from the psychedelic 1960s and early 1970s, when Jefferson Starstruck made this one, it was viable proof that the "sell out" existed and that Grace Slick not only was crazy, she was a stunt double for the Runaway Bride's eyes (i.e., crazy).

The Cutting Crew did "I just died in your arms tonight" which is in my top 10 worst. There's also "Neutron Dance" by the Pointer Sisters, which sounds like something that's done after the neutron bomb exterminates your music collection (the Pointer Sisters' best song, "Fire," was written by Bruce Springsteen; and he performs it better).

The German band Accept had "Balls to the Wall" which may have been the paramour to luring other metal bands down a road of awfulness. However, that particular room shaker also makes my top 10 (though it's still got a great driving beat). Also in the metal category, Winger's "17" is enough to gross me out as a father (considering Kip Winger was almost 40 when he made the single; PS, he's 5'2" tall). Also, almost anything by Slaughter makes the metal worst list.

Finally, just random notes hitting me as a I type: "Promise" by When in Rome; Fleetwood Mac's "I want to be with you everywhere" (a truly "jumped the shark" tune if there ever was one); and David Lee Roth's "Livin' in Paradise")

Status
Not open for further replies.