THANKS...AND A FEW MORE Qs

cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, everyone! First I want to thank everyone for their input, including Veinglory, James B, and Cathy C.

It seems like STARbooks Press is solid. James B, you said something about you'd "do cartwheels" for STAR. Would you please elaborate? Also, what's the maximum number of author copies I could get from STAR?

Any more info on advances from STAR? I know if any advance is given, it would be small. I have NO delusions (smile). And, what kind of royalty on trade and mass market would be fair and reasonable?

Lastly (for now, anyway--smile), the managing editor quickly gave me his green light and submitted the entire manuscript to the publisher
a week and a half ago. Any "guestimates" on when the publisher might give me an answer? And, if the managing editor is this enthusiastic, what are the chances that STAR will offer a contract?

As always, thanks much!

Cowboy.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I really don't have realibale information. I know, like James, that Star is reputable and I have bought some of their books myself and found them to be good quality.

Anything else is a guess. A first run, maybe 1000 maybe 100000, royalty on print tend to be around 10-20% (I think). Advances, no idea, nothing to a thousand maybe. This is all just rampant guesswork.

My approach to getting the goss is to look up theior existing authors and find one I either have something in common with or who was published very recently and is a first time author (hence recently in the same boat) and email them in private. That way you get accurate up to the minute information confidentially.

I imagine you may wait a few months before hearing anything as there is likely to be some sort of 'process' where the manuscript are read and there is a meeting to discuss possibles. You have one person in your corner, that's a very good start.

Congrats on the request for a full. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.