Comma before "as well as"

ArtsyAmy

Registered
Reaction score
I thought my understanding of all things non-restrictive and restrictive was finally as clear as my fastidious mother-in-law's windowpanes. But after looking at a particular sentence for 208 hours straight, my brain is now as mushy as her rice pudding.

I'm wondering whether a comma is needed before "as well as" in a sentence similar to the following.

Jane enjoys kite flying on the top of Mount Everest, as well as playing Monopoly in the best partying cities of Brazil.

I don't mean that she enjoys one activity as much as she enjoys the other. I mean she likes both activities. Also, in the real sentence, both activity A and activity B have several words (like this example), which makes me think maybe the comma would be needed for clarity. Thanks for any help on this.

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score
The easiest way to get a handle on things like this is to simplify the sentence. Ex:

"Kite flying on the top of Mount Everest" and "playing Monopoly in the best partying cities of Brazil" are phrases acting as nouns. These are the things Jane (subject) enjoys (predicate - verb). So simplify the nouns.

Jane enjoys cake as well as ice cream.

Now you can see that no comma is needed.

Note: this case has nothing to so with restrictive and non-restrictive.

Last edited:

ArtsyAmy

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guttersquid. It seems so simple the way you put it. When I googled "as well as" I kept finding non-restrictive/restrictive examples, but those examples of "as well as" must have been using it differently. My sentence is as easy as cake and ice cream, both of which I enjoy.

A rep point for being a writer pal and helping me out.

Last edited:

WWWalt

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score

Now you can see that no comma is needed.

Grammatically, you are correct. But semantically you've introduced the exact ambiguity ArtsyAmy was trying to avoid: this can be read to mean that Jane likes ice cream the same amount that she likes cake. A comma, while not grammatically necessary, disambiguates the meaning:

Jane enjoys cake, as well as ice cream.

But it might be better to find a phrase less ambiguous than "as well as." Is any meaning lost if you simply say "Jane enjoys cake and ice cream"? If you're trying to emphasize the variety of things she enjoys, "everything from cake to ice cream" (some will criticize this construction, but it's a well-understood idiom) or "such disparate things as cake and ice cream" might work; however, even in this case, a simple "and" between two dissimilar things gets the point across. If you just say "Jane enjoys crocheting and mud wrestling," readers will get the point that her interests are pretty diverse without you needing to lead them there with special phrasing.

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score
Grammatically, you are correct. But semantically you've introduced the exact ambiguity ArtsyAmy was trying to avoid: this can be read to mean that Jane likes ice cream the same amount that she likes cake. A comma, while not grammatically necessary, disambiguates the meaning:

Jane enjoys cake, as well as ice cream.

Even if a comma were correct, which it isn't, it would not correct any ambiguity that might exist.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

Talk about a sentence that is as muddled as a sentence can get. You can read this sentence with at least two completely different meaning, and neither is correct.

SamGlass

Registered
Reaction score
I would just avoid "as well as" altogether. Not only is it ambiguous, but I've always thought it sounds clunky, and it doesn't really serve a unique purpose. It can be replaced with other words without losing any real meaning in the sentence.

Jane enjoys kite flying on the top of Mount Everest as well as playing Monopoly in the best partying cities of Brazil.

could be...

Jane enjoys kite flying on top of Mount Everest and playing Monopoly in the best partying cities of Brazil.

Jane enjoys a wide variety of things, from flying kites on top of Mount Everest to playing Monopoly in the best partying cities of Brazil.

Sorry. It's not an answer to the question so much as a way to circumvent the question altogether.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I like dogs and beer.
I like dogs, and beer.
I like dogs ... and beer.

Jane enjoys kite flying on the top of Mount Everest as well as playing Monopoly in the best partying cities of Brazil.
Jane enjoys kite flying on the top of Mount Everest, as well as playing Monopoly in the best partying cities of Brazil.
Jane enjoys kite flying on the top of Mount Everest ... as well as playing Monopoly in the best partying cities of Brazil.

Isn't the comma (just like the elipsis) before the coordinator acting to subtly change the emphasis by introducing a pause? Why wouldn't either be correct? Especially when breaking down a more complex sentence like the OP's?