PDA

View Full Version : just finished draft 1!

MonsterTamer
06-29-2016, 11:34 PM
Started 6 April 2016. Epic fantasy - total count: 126,131.

This is the first book I've written that is a stand alone with no loose ends. It feels good! It's also my first epic fantasy. I complained here before that I have been unable to write in this genre in the past, so I decided to buckle down and do it.

Now to edit. I have a bad habit of writing short so I need to see where I'm at and fill in some of the holes I'm sure I left. My shortfall is always leaving out descriptors of the setting. The person I consider my alpha-reader is itching to get his hands on it but I need to run through a few times.

I just wanted to celebrate before I begin editing and become totally demoralized.

Maryn
06-30-2016, 12:50 AM
Excellent! Allow me to pour you a beverage.

Maryn, in bartender mode

SillyLittleTwit
06-30-2016, 09:12 AM
Congrats!

I'd actually advise leaving it for a month or so. That way you can look at it with fresh eyes.

KMTolan
06-30-2016, 05:49 PM
One of my favorite editing tricks is to read the thing out loud. Tends to expose a lot of sentence structure issues.

Maggie Maxwell
06-30-2016, 05:56 PM
Holy carp, 126k in under three months?! You're a beast! Congratulations and very well done!

OliverCrown
06-30-2016, 06:59 PM
One of my favorite editing tricks is to read the thing out loud. Tends to expose a lot of sentence structure issues.

I recommend this. If you have a text-to-speech resource (smartphone, Kindle, etc.) I would recommend that even more. That way you don't read what you were thinking, you hear what's actually on the page.

Personally I use my Echo to read things aloud in these cases. Found some really cringe-worthy things I missed when reading it myself, but YMMV.

millymollymo
06-30-2016, 11:46 PM
Feels good to get to an end doesn't it? Congrats :D

HollowSnake
07-01-2016, 01:38 AM
Congrats

R.Barrows
07-01-2016, 02:00 AM
Started 6 April 2016. Epic fantasy - total count: 126,131.

This is the first book I've written that is a stand alone with no loose ends. It feels good! It's also my first epic fantasy.

It's hard to write a stand-alone book. At least for me. So I get you. I still haven't done it without a few loose ends. Rock on!

I just wanted to celebrate before I begin editing and become totally demoralized

Yeah. No kidding. Have a drink before the mob shows up.

:mob

MonsterTamer
07-01-2016, 07:07 AM
Holy carp, 126k in under three months?! You're a beast! Congratulations and very well done!

That is quite possibly the most amazing compliment I've ever received. :D BEAST!

I will work on the reading out loud thing. I started to, but it hurts. Yes please, cheese with the wine. I will look into something to read it for me.

I managed to read quite a bit during this past few months, but now that I am freed up I need to attack my stack again. I'm looking forward to a writing break. I know that's not always encouraged in these circles, but it works for me and I need it.

WriteMinded
07-02-2016, 06:18 PM
Not only 126k in three months, but you say you write short and you're about to up the word count. :)

I'm envious. I write long and it takes me a long time. I should change my name from WriteMinded to LongLong.

Remora
07-03-2016, 08:00 PM
Congratulations! Three months to a full 126K? That's amazing, really. Take a minute to celebrate- you deserve it :)

For editing, one thing that helped me a lot (unintentionally) was that I had to transfer my work from Word to Scrivener...having to reformat and reorder everything gave me a different perspective.

Inspie
07-07-2016, 07:31 PM
Also here to echo the congratulations for writing 126k in under three months! That's amazing!

Good luck with your edits! :)

Debbie F
07-08-2016, 02:48 AM
Congratulations on your first draft completion! Welcome to the editing stage, where more hours are spent staring at the computer screen than actually writing! :welcome: