E-Book for Kindle Design Question:

Valerian

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
This pertains to uploading a cover image for kindle books.

I browsed around a bit on fiver and saw people offering ebook covers. I notice a lot of these are either licensed/stock image with some design, or pure font style design.

What would the process be if I wanted someone to illustrate cover art and not use a stock photo? Would it be common for the illustrator to be able/willing to do the graphics.

Here are is example of what I am talking about:

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/enhanced/webdr02/2013/3/25/13/enhanced-buzz-23298-1364232848-0.jpg

(not exactly that look, but the idea of a non-photo cover)

I have seen artists online that draw in the genre/style I like and have a reasonable price, but they don't advertise as cover artists/ebook designers.

Would I have to take their art then send it to a second source to do the typography?

Also, from what I gathered there are some sizing particulars when uploading an image for a kindle book, but this is something that the illustrator could handle, yes?

Thanks a lot.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
You would probably need to contact artists with the style you like and get price quotes from them, noting that you intend the art to be on a book cover. Some will have had experience with doing covers, others won't. If they haven't, you'll need to make sure that they know to leave space for the typography. As for adding typography, that may depend on the artist. If they're familiar with doing covers, they may do it themselves. For others, you may need to have it added seperately. You'll just have to check with the individual artist. For the sizing particulars, you'll probably need to let them know which platforms you plan to sell ebooks on. They might provide you with one piece that you can adjust, or they may do it for you. Again, depends on the artist. Be sure to let them know if a print book is going to need a cover, as the design work process can be a bit different than if you just have an ebook.