PDA

View Full Version : LATIN TRANSLATION NEEDED

citymouse
06-26-2016, 03:02 PM
Can anyone translate this English into Latin for me? Dreams only come true for those who dare to awaken it.

Thanks!
C

Bolero
06-26-2016, 10:58 PM
The who?

Do you mean "those who" or "they who"?

citymouse
06-29-2016, 05:48 PM
Sorry, I mistyped. It should read those.
C

WeaselFire
07-01-2016, 01:37 AM
Somnium venit vera pro illis tantum, qui ausus est suscitet eam.

Keep in mind this is literal and likely not the way it would have been spoken or written before Latin died off. That may have been more like Somnia qui mordeant. Which sort of translates to Dreams come true for those who wake.

There are a billion Latin translators on the internet.

Jeff

James D. Macdonald
07-01-2016, 03:45 AM
Dreams only come true for those who dare to awaken it.

What's the antecedent of 'it'?

Rufus Coppertop
07-03-2016, 03:33 AM
This
Somnium venit vera pro illis tantum, qui ausus est suscitet eam. does not even come close to the meaning requested.

somnium venit - a dream arrives.
vera - means true - but the word connects with nothing, is not a subject or an object and means nothing in the context.
pro illis - on behalf of those only
qui ausus est - who it dared
suscitet - it might excite
eam - her

That may have been more like Somnia qui mordeant. Which sort of translates to Dreams come true for those who wake.Actually, no. It means dreams which may bite/may grip/may sting.

I don't know where you're getting this from but it is serious misinformation and if someone published it in a book, they'd make themselves look like an idiot.

Rufus Coppertop
07-03-2016, 12:37 PM
Citymouse, this is the best I can come up with.

somnia fiant vera aliquibus qui audeat illa suscitare.

somnia - dreams
fiant - may become (3rd person present subjunctive)
vera - true
aliquibus - to anyone/for anyone (indefinite pronoun. plural dative)
qui - who (relative/indefinite pronoun. singular nominative
audeat - might dare (3rd person present subjunctive)
suscitare - to awaken (infinitive verb standing as the object of audeat and taking illa as its own object)
illa - them (demonstrative pronoun. plural neuter accusative and object of suscitare)

you can put illa at the end or before suscitare. Personally, I prefer a verb at the end if possible but that's just me.

WeaselFire
07-06-2016, 12:03 AM
I guess I shouldn't rely on 40-year-old Latin lessons. :(

Jeff

Rufus Coppertop
07-06-2016, 09:10 AM
Latin's like iron. If you don't look after it and keep it polished, it goes rusty mighty fast.