Books on pre-Victorian rural life

Sapphire at Dawn

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing about the English countryside in 1830 and I'm having trouble finding books and resources that show what every day life was actually like. I've got plenty on the politics and mechanics of how rural industries worked, but not much that tells me what time Susannah Housewife got up in the morning, what, if any, social events would be happening in a typical village etc. Sadly, the Rural Life museum near me is closed until the middle of next year, so I'm looking for book recommendations or websites or really anything that will flesh my story out.

Thanks in advance for any help.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
I suggest watching the BBC show Victorian Farm. The hosts involved are Ruth Goodman, Alex Langland, and Peter Ginn. Granted, it is Victorian but it shouldn't be too far off from your time period. That and it's a good way to visualize some of the things you mentioned. Yes, it does cover some of the mechanics of how rural industries worked but it also covered the domestic aspects as well. Ruth Goodman is so fun to watch because she's so enthusiastic about what she's doing. Try looking it up on wikepedia since that might offer some websites/books for more research.

Sapphire at Dawn

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen that before and it's definitely on my list to watch again. I hadn't thought of looking on it's Wikipedia entry, but I'll definitely do that as well. I've found some very useful books on other aspects that way. Thanks.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
For books, how about 'Lost Country Life' by Dorothy Hartley? It's about medieval rural life, so much earlier than your period, but it goes through the year by the seasons, and I'm betting that many of the routines and regular activities didn't change much until the Industrial Revolution.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Between the late medieval/Tudor period of Lost Country Life and the early Victorian era there were a couple of major changes that created significant disruption in some parts of England, namely the enclosures (which eliminated the old commons and transitioned large parts of England from open field subsistence agriculture to either privatized fields & market farming or wholesale livestock raising, particularly sheep & wool, also with a market focus) and the implementation of large but dispersed rural industries around cloth manufacture & mining that soaked up a lot of the rural labor force displaced from agriculture by the enclosures.

So a lot of the details of daily life in the earlier period may or may not still be applicable to Sapphire at Dawn's setting, depending on exactly where it's set.

Ruth Goodman's book How to be a Victorian may be helpful for day-to-day details. I'm not sure how much it includes of specifically rural life, or the 1830s vs. later decades, but it's a good start & may have useful references.

Catherine_Beyer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cnbeyer.com
For books, how about 'Lost Country Life' by Dorothy Hartley? It's about medieval rural life, so much earlier than your period, but it goes through the year by the seasons, and I'm betting that many of the routines and regular activities didn't change much until the Industrial Revolution.

The Industrial Revolution occurred 80 years before the time period in question.

I'd also be cautious about presuming things remained largely unchanged over so many centuries. Earlier scholars made that mistake and came up with some very wierd conclusions.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
The Industrial Revoluton had started well before the 1830s. But rural life would still revolve around the seasons and when the crops had to be planted and harvested. Machinery would change and by the 1850s there would be a lot less people on the land. But in 1830 most people would be getting up when sun rose and going to bed pretty much when the sun did. In the winter, they would working by rushlight

Sapphire at Dawn

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Katherine Tree, mirandashell and benbenberi for the suggestions. I especially love the housing article, there are a couple of books mentioned there for further reading that might be very useful. I've already researched the Swing Riots as they play an important part in my plot. I'm wary about relying too much on the medieval source as there'd been several major changes since then, but it might be useful in finding old traditions and the like that I can use.

Last edited:

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Bear in mind that farming varies with part of the country - as in a sheep farm in Cumbria will vary from one in the lowlands.
Crops will vary with soil and altitude.
What fuel is available and how much likewise - coal/peat/wood

Sapphire at Dawn

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, I've got that covered, don't worry. I'm setting my story in the village I live in (but changing the name) so I've got a good understanding of that sort of thing as I have lots of local history to fall back on. My grandmother did a master's degree on the agricultural history of this area so I have all her old books as well. It's just the social side of thing I need to research now.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Just had a thought - you might also want to look up the late Regency period if you haven't already done so since the 1830's would be a sort of transition period between Queen Victoria and her father's reigns. I'm sure there's a lot of stuff that might be useful in blogs/websites devoted to Jane Austin.

I found a blog that looks like it has some really interesting links although they also look like they're all over the place, date-wise. https://janeaustensworld.wordpress.com/2008/02/26/rural-life-in-19th-century-england-appleby/

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
Just had a thought - you might also want to look up the late Regency period if you haven't already done so since the 1830's would be a sort of transition period between Queen Victoria and her father's reigns. I'm sure there's a lot of stuff that might be useful in blogs/websites devoted to Jane Austin.

I found a blog that looks like it has some really interesting links although they also look like they're all over the place, date-wise. https://janeaustensworld.wordpress.com/2008/02/26/rural-life-in-19th-century-england-appleby/
I may have some books at home that would be useful, I'll check tonight and post the titles. The one that comes to mind immediately is What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew, by Daniel Pool.

(Looking up the author on Amazon also showed me Jane Austen's England: Daily Life in the Georgian and Regency Periods, by Roy and Lesley Adkins (I don't have this book, but I do have their book on life in ancient Rome...)

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
I may have some books at home that would be useful, I'll check tonight and post the titles. The one that comes to mind immediately is What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew, by Daniel Pool.

(Looking up the author on Amazon also showed me Jane Austen's England: Daily Life in the Georgian and Regency Periods, by Roy and Lesley Adkins (I don't have this book, but I do have their book on life in ancient Rome...)

I also considered mentioning "What Jane Austin Ate..." as well. lol

Sapphire at Dawn

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, 'What Jane Austen Ate...' looks very promising. I confess to having shied away from things described as 'Georgian' or 'Regency' because I found more often than not they were about high society, and when I'm dealing with a bunch of rebellious farm labourers, knowing how one was presented at court isn't all that useful.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
OK, so it turns out I may have less to help you than I thought... i have some books on developments after your period, and several on the medieval-to-Elizabethan range. :Shrug:

The books I have that might help:
Rural Life in Victorian England, by G. E. Mingay
Nuts and Bolts of the Past: A History of American Technology, 1776-1860
, by David Freeman Hawke
The Reshaping of Everyday Life, 1790-1840, by Jack Larkin. I can't say enough about this book. It's American, but may well still have information that could be applicable to your needs.
"The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life in..." series (series link) has volumes on "The 1800s" and "Regency and Victorian England".

Good luck!

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
There is a publisher called Shire Books. It specializes in intensely researched small illustrated paperbacks (often more like thick pamphlets or magazines) dealing with all sorts of subjects of interest to the local British historian.

I've found them to be a fabulous resource.

Some subjects: "Fields, Hedges and Ditches" (seriously, that is as country as you can get!), heritage farm animal breeds, ploughs and ploughing, beekeeping through history, country blacksmithing, peat cutting, lime kilns, mills and watermills and windmills, dairies, cidermaking, breweries, canals, gardens, agricultural hand tools, farmer's smocks and work clothing, all sorts of traditional country architecture, rope making, straw crafting and thatching, stagecoaches, wagons, country dialects and customs, hill figures and stone circles, villages and country churches.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
There is a publisher called Shire Books. It specializes in intensely researched small illustrated paperbacks (often more like thick pamphlets or magazines) dealing with all sorts of subjects of interest to the local British historian.

I've found them to be a fabulous resource.

Some subjects: "Fields, Hedges and Ditches" (seriously, that is as country as you can get!), heritage farm animal breeds, ploughs and ploughing, beekeeping through history, country blacksmithing, peat cutting, lime kilns, mills and watermills and windmills, dairies, cidermaking, breweries, canals, gardens, agricultural hand tools, farmer's smocks and work clothing, all sorts of traditional country architecture, rope making, straw crafting and thatching, stagecoaches, wagons, country dialects and customs, hill figures and stone circles, villages and country churches.
Ooooooohhhhh...
Over here, Colonial Williamsburg produced a small set of pamphlets for traditional crafts (printer, miller, blacksmith, etc), and I have all those. Shire may have to take some of my money as well, now! Pre-electric tech is completely relevant to my interests...