PDA

View Full Version : Seeking experiences with BBS/forums

aygnm
06-22-2016, 03:02 AM
I'm writing a book about Internet dos and donts. Does anyone have any juicy--good or horrendous--stories about Internet forums you post on? How to deal with trolls? How to be nice to moderators? Hilariously or egregiously bad behavior? PM me or reply here. I will plug your book, business or whatever you feel appropriate.

King Neptune
06-22-2016, 04:17 AM
Troll baiting used to be good sport, but it has gone out of fashion. I assume that you are planning to write about today, rather than the history of BBs, etc. But you wouldn't even use that term if you were just dealing with the present, or would you?

aygnm
06-22-2016, 06:18 AM
Troll baiting used to be good sport, but it has gone out of fashion. I assume that you are planning to write about today, rather than the history of BBs, etc. But you wouldn't even use that term if you were just dealing with the present, or would you?

Troll baiting is still the #1 Internet sport. That's a good point. I mainly deal with forums and message boards--I guess I used BBS interchangeably with message boards, but that's inaccurate. Thanks for pointing that out. I do have one anecdote about BBS that I refer to, but mostly this is about the present state of the Internet.

King Neptune
06-22-2016, 05:41 PM
Well, there was a forum that I was on for a while where the moderators would customarily change posts. Then there was and there is Pravda English Forums, where the strange go to post; I just saw the title of a thread "Why are tinfoil hats a common object of ridicule?" I'm not going to post on that.

What sort of stuff are you looking for? And for what purpose?

aygnm
06-22-2016, 10:23 PM
Well, there was a forum that I was on for a while where the moderators would customarily change posts. Then there was and there is Pravda English Forums, where the strange go to post; I just saw the title of a thread "Why are tinfoil hats a common object of ridicule?" I'm not going to post on that.

What sort of stuff are you looking for? And for what purpose?

OK, without giving away the book's secrets, I'm looking for dos and donts in the way we use the internet, because we forget that this stuff is out there permanently. It's a how-to/self-help book.

King Neptune
06-22-2016, 11:21 PM
OK, without giving away the book's secrets, I'm looking for dos and donts in the way we use the internet, because we forget that this stuff is out there permanently. It's a how-to/self-help book.

Here are two:
Don't continue to use forums where the moderators change your posts (other than to remove unacceptable language on sites where tender ears or eyes may be), and don't use forums where only a small minority of participants demonstrate any signs of intelligence, sanity, or education.

I think your book might end up being no more than a small leaflet. The general rules are wide, so there don't have to be all that many.

aygnm
06-28-2016, 10:05 PM
Here are two:
Don't continue to use forums where the moderators change your posts (other than to remove unacceptable language on sites where tender ears or eyes may be), and don't use forums where only a small minority of participants demonstrate any signs of intelligence, sanity, or education.

I think your book might end up being no more than a small leaflet. The general rules are wide, so there don't have to be all that many.

I love both of these.

I didn't explain that the book covers all aspects of the Internet, not just forums--Twitter, Facebook, videos, blogging, photos, scams, dating sites--as well as our digital life, including cell phones...

King Neptune
06-28-2016, 11:57 PM
I love both of these.

Those examples are from forums that still exist. I left one after I noticed that my posts had ceased to be my posts.

I didn't explain that the book covers all aspects of the Internet, not just forums--Twitter, Facebook, videos, blogging, photos, scams, dating sites--as well as our digital life, including cell phones...

Have a merry time writing it. While it seems that anything posted might be permanent, that is not necessarily the case, and even more things turn out to be in file formats that are not longer supported by anything. For example, much of what was on the Prodigy service is gone forever.

R.Barrows
06-29-2016, 12:13 AM
Don't ever promote a blog unless you know what the author actually stands for. I once promoted a piece that I liked written about a specific subject. The blogger was ranting about something I agreed with. I didn't look at the rest of his site. Eventually someone noted that this dude was a major a-hole, and when I took a closer look at his actual blog, I discovered he was a white supremacist extraordinaire. Needless to say, I removed the link. But if I were on a forum, I might not be able to. A lot of forums don't let you edit your post once someone has replied to it. (Nano is like that). So you're basically stuck and you have to reply to yourself and state your retraction.

Some forums (similar to this one) allow you to quote a person. Additionally, some forums are threaded, meaning that your post shows up intended and below the one you are responding to. As a general rule, and a polite one, if you disagree with the poster above you and you don't want to start a direct conflict with them, don't quote them and don't reply directly to them. Simply start a new post in the thread and state your position on the subject. If you quote someone, you are responding to the quote and referencing them. If you respond directly to them, then again, you are engaging them specifically. None of that is necessary if you only need to state your position of the OP (original poster). You want to give your advice, cool, and maybe that conflicts with others who have given different advice, but you don't need to argue with them.

Similar to the one above, you don't need to engage with people who have responded to your post by accident. This happens all the time.

Bad Form: A thread has been started in a threaded forum where people can respond to each other and their response goes directly beneath. It appears as subordinate to the person they are responding to. Some people post a reply to the OP instead of to the entire thread. They do this to get their post at the top of the thread. What this says to everyone else is, "what I have to say is more important than what you have to say." It's like being cut off on the freeway, and everyone in the thread will look at you as the asshole that cut them off. Furthermore, they'll remember you as the asshole OP responder. Don't expect a lot of help from them when you need it.

Ziast
07-01-2016, 08:27 AM
At least for the forums I frequent, chat speak, poor grammar, walls of text, run on sentences, odd capitalizations, all caps, and other strange typing styles will at best get you ignored, at worst you will be called out for it.

Citing sources and fact checking. If you make a claim be prepared to back it up. You will be called out or challenged.

Don't go to /b/