PDA

View Full Version : How do I get out of the black-hole

NoirSuede
06-21-2016, 05:58 PM
Right now i'm going through my school's internship program, and whenever I get a task not involving the Internet I'd do the task really quickly and thoroughly, but as soon as I have to do something on the Internet, I'd procrastinate the f*** and just end up rushing the entire assignment bc I have almost no time left.

So, how do I stop getting sucked into the Internet blackhole ? I don't want to be forced to do low-pay manual labor because I can't be trusted to touch a computer man

Kerosene
06-21-2016, 06:03 PM
Do what you need to do as soon as possible so you get it out of the way. Start when it's assigned and don't stop until it's finished. Then you don't have to worry about it.

If internet is a problem, unplug from it.

After that, it's all about self-control.

NoirSuede
06-21-2016, 06:06 PM
If internet is a problem, unplug from it.
After that, it's all about self-control.

If the assignment involves using the internet (like on a research) then no that won't work.

CassandraW
06-21-2016, 06:15 PM
It's entirely about self-control. My single biggest internet vice is this place, and I'm also a news junkie. if I don't exercise some restraint, I waste far too much time here or reading articles about the election.

Try this: set yourself regular, time-limited intervals in which you are allowed to play on the internet -- but only if you've focused on your work and gotten something done during the work interval.

it can be refreshing to turn from a work task to some discussion on AW or whatever your internet vices may be. But use it as a reward for work done.

mrsmig
06-21-2016, 06:26 PM
As Kerosene said, it's about self-control. If your goal is not to end up doing manual labor, you're going to have to take responsibility for your own procrastination and stop blaming it on the siren call of the internet.

Here's a suggestion: set a timer for your research - say, one hour. Do your research, and NOTHING but your research, for one hour. You can do that, can't you? At the end of the hour, shut off the computer. Go do something else for an hour - preferably something physical. Go for a walk, clean your room, etc. Rinse and repeat until the research is done, then you can play on the internet all you want.

If you can teach yourself discipline now, it's something you can take into the workplace when the time comes.

CassandraW
06-21-2016, 06:28 PM
He's saying that his work often requires him to use the internet, So shutting off the internet to do work is not an option. However, self-control and timed intervals for internet play might be.

Kerosene
06-21-2016, 06:33 PM
If the assignment involves using the internet (like on a research) then no that won't work.

I never said unplug the internet and then get to work. Get the assignment out of the way first before doing anything else. Use whatever tools you need. Self-control comes into play to keep you from wandering off track while doing research and such. Outside of that, if internet is a problem keeping you from doing things, unplug it. You'll find yourself dying of boredom and getting stuff done.

Snitchcat
06-21-2016, 08:00 PM
Would the parental control for the internet work? Say... set a block for your favourite sites for whatever length of time you need. No matter what you do, you can't go to those sites till the time's up. At which point, you've done the assignment. And if you haven't, take a break, and reset the "ban" time.

NoirSuede
06-21-2016, 09:27 PM
If you can teach yourself discipline now, it's something you can take into the workplace when the time comes.

How do I teach discipline to a man who doesn't realize that he's making his dad mad when he obeyed his command to hit himself ? (ie me)

jjdebenedictis
06-21-2016, 09:30 PM
There are applications you can get that will block your access to certain websites during certain times of the day. You can block all your "fun" sites during work hours and still have access to what you need for research.

regdog
06-22-2016, 03:45 PM
As someone who has made procrastination and lazy into an art form, I understand your problem. My best advice, set small reasonable goals to start with. This isn't going to be fixed with an all or nothing patch. Section your work into manageable blocks and set a time for each one to be done.

IE: You have an assignment that will take one week. Break it down into 5 blocks. Complete one block first thing, then have internet indulgence time. Do it with every assignment. Good luck.

Cernex
06-23-2016, 03:33 PM
What I usually do is divide work and procastination. "Ok, I'll start research, then watch a google video, then I'll get to [X] point and then I'll hit some forums, then I'll find what [Y] is, then..."

So... make a schendule, basically. Little drips of procastination can do wonders for your health. ;)

taraesque
06-27-2016, 10:17 PM
Set goals, with breaks. Then time your breaks.... Sucks if you work for 15 minutes then take an hour break, because you want to check just ONE more thing....