• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for beta readers for contemporary romance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I'm finishing up a bunch of projects this summer and am looking for beta readers for three of them. I don't expect one person to read all three, but if any one of them interest you, please PM me. They are all contemporary romance, although they vary in tone and heat level.

I'm happy to swap! Romance (historical, contemporary, erotic) or women's fiction preferred, but I'll consider other genres.

Thank you!

#1 Getting Rid of the Billionaire (romantic comedy, 50k)

Speech pathologist Allie Cameron is looking forward to her two-month summer vacation. Unfortunately, it’s off to a miserable start. Her ex-boyfriend, filthy rich developer Colton Sanders, is determined to get her back. He sends her flowers every hour, sneaks into her apartment to fill it with balloons, and surprises her with plane tickets to Paris.

Romantic? No, it’s just plain annoying.

Her ex won’t listen to her polite rejections, and Allie doesn’t want a messy confrontation, so she comes up with a new solution. A fake boyfriend. She believes if she can convince Colton that she’s in love with someone else, he’ll quietly back off.

Landscaper Josh Lam agrees to the foolish plan of the annoyingly-cheerful woman who lives in his building. He worries that if he doesn’t, he’ll regret not doing what he could to help her, especially once Colton starts spending every night on her balcony to prove his devotion. As part of their act—and to keep her safe from her creepy ex—Josh allows Allie to sleep in his bed. While he’s on the couch, unable to get any sleep because he wants her so badly.

He doesn’t even like this woman, and she doesn’t want to go to bed with him, although they’re both starting to change their minds. But if Josh lets their fake relationship develop into something real, he’ll have even more regrets than he already does…

#2 His Best Friend's Older Sister (erotic romance, 56k)

Finance whiz Emily Branson is afraid of relationships. But when she sees how happy love makes her younger brother, she wants to try dating again.

However, there’s one other hurdle: she doesn’t enjoy sex.

At her brother’s wedding, she sees his best friend, Jay, for the first time in years. Their undeniable attraction leads to a one-night stand…or what would have been a one-night stand if Emily hadn’t freaked out when he saw her naked, because of her birthmark and horrible acne.

But later she decides he could be the perfect solution to her problems. Jay assured her that she was beautiful, even when she frantically covered herself up, and he must be a good guy if he’s Nick’s closest friend. What if she gets him to teach her how to enjoy sex and feel comfortable with her body?

Construction supervisor Jay Cheng likes to go out and have a good time. He’s not into serious commitments. Emily’s idea sounds crazy, but he won’t turn down the first girl he ever wanted. Soon they’re doing some very sexy role-playing to help Emily set aside her insecurities. They become closer—and not just physically.

But neither of them has ever had a real relationship, and they’re both scared of the idea. And Nick is protective of the sister who took care of him when their mom and dad stopped acting as parents…and Emily and Jay don’t want him to know the truth.

#3 A Kiss at the Movies (contemporary romance, 41k)
**I've already had a couple of betas for this one. At this point, I am mainly looking for someone to give me feedback on the PoC hero and heroine, and how the racial issues are handled. A Chinese-American or Chinese-Canadian beta would be preferable. (Note: my mother's family is Chinese and has a similar family history to the heroine's...) The story is written in first person.

Every Tuesday, Sierra Wu goes to the movie theater to make out with David Kwong, a man she barely knows. She and David have a deal. They don’t ask each other any personal questions. It’s just kissing. It’s an escape from their real lives. She doesn’t tell him about her best friend’s suicide, and he doesn’t tell her why he looks so desperately sad.

Soon they’re doing more than kissing and watching movies, though. They have dinner on Valentine’s Day. He gives her a birthday present: a poster of the first movie they saw together. Sierra starts to wonder if David wants a relationship.

But if that’s going to happen, she needs to tell him about her life, something she really doesn’t want to do. Not only is she scared of getting close to someone again, but she’s convinced he would hate her if he knew the truth about her friend’s death, which Sierra believes she could have prevented.

Last edited:

quianaa2001

Registered
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm interested in trying the romantic or erotic romances. I'm looking for someone to swap with. Be intouch if interested.

Sonata

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm new to beta reading, but as I'm working on my first full length writing project myself, I think beta reading would be a valuable experience (and fun). I am not new to reading though. I'd love to check out your work and help another writer. All the books sound interesting, so let me know if you're interested, just please be aware that this is my first time beta reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.