PDA

View Full Version : The Returned

mellymel
06-20-2016, 09:39 PM
I was wondering if anyone has watched this. I am completely addicted. I mean, you have to be open to a tiny bit of suspension of disbelief for a few things, but overall, I'm finding it a bit unpredictable. The shows jumps back and forth to various years before and the present as the stories unfold and connect. Some nice twists I didn't see coming and some great characterization. It's on Netflix and there is only one season so far.

cornflake
06-20-2016, 10:15 PM
There's only one season, period, of the American version. I watched it, though my interest flagged a bit over the latter half. I've yet to watch the original, which I presume is better and has at least another series.

I think I got bored of the twists that began to seem ever more telegraphed. The brothers thing was especially meh (I'm being vague as I'm not sire how much you've seen), and I wanted some explanation for some basic stuff, like the injury thing. I liked the boy's hook most.

mellymel
06-21-2016, 02:20 AM
Ooh, didn't know there was another version. Will have to look into it. The boy's story is definitely my favorite--he's so creepy in an Omen sort of way--and I enjoyed the whole Simon story. I do agree there is some unexplained stuff, but I'm enjoying the format of the show with the past/present jumping and seeing how the puzzle pieces fit together.

telford
06-21-2016, 04:48 AM
The original (French) version is far more creepy. In a good way.

mellymel
06-21-2016, 07:30 PM
I will have to check it out because, omg, I didn't realize there were only 10 episodes of The Returned (American version), and when I posted my original post I was at epi 9 and holy mother effing cliff hanger with the show not getting picked up. I'm so disappointed and upset and...ANNOYED. I cannot believe they left it like that. UGH.

I will check out the French version for sure. They have it on Netflix as well. But, I think first I'm going to check out Bate's Motel because it's the one show A&E has successfully managed to hold an audience with, which must mean it's pretty good.

cornflake
06-21-2016, 07:59 PM
I think your logic there has holes, heh.

Have you watched The Fall? It's not paranormal or anything, but it's fantastic, creepy, atmospheric, great acting...Stick with the brits.

mellymel
06-21-2016, 09:13 PM
Just added The Fall to my list. It actually looks fantastic. I think I might watched that first. Well, after I finish Jessica Jones. ;)

cornflake
06-21-2016, 09:21 PM
Jane "Scully" Bond Gibson will Blow. Your. Mind. :D

Loverofwords
06-21-2016, 09:26 PM
Just added The Fall to my list. It actually looks fantastic. I think I might watched that first. Well, after I finish Jessica Jones. ;)

Oooh yes! Jessica Jones had me laughing and biting my nails all at once. What a fantastic show.

mellymel
06-22-2016, 03:55 AM
She is a fantastic character. I almost love her as much as Debra from Dexter. Debra Morgan had a few more layers to her personality.