The Returned

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has watched this. I am completely addicted. I mean, you have to be open to a tiny bit of suspension of disbelief for a few things, but overall, I'm finding it a bit unpredictable. The shows jumps back and forth to various years before and the present as the stories unfold and connect. Some nice twists I didn't see coming and some great characterization. It's on Netflix and there is only one season so far.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
There's only one season, period, of the American version. I watched it, though my interest flagged a bit over the latter half. I've yet to watch the original, which I presume is better and has at least another series.

I think I got bored of the twists that began to seem ever more telegraphed. The brothers thing was especially meh (I'm being vague as I'm not sire how much you've seen), and I wanted some explanation for some basic stuff, like the injury thing. I liked the boy's hook most.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, didn't know there was another version. Will have to look into it. The boy's story is definitely my favorite--he's so creepy in an Omen sort of way--and I enjoyed the whole Simon story. I do agree there is some unexplained stuff, but I'm enjoying the format of the show with the past/present jumping and seeing how the puzzle pieces fit together.

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
The original (French) version is far more creepy. In a good way.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
I will have to check it out because, omg, I didn't realize there were only 10 episodes of The Returned (American version), and when I posted my original post I was at epi 9 and holy mother effing cliff hanger with the show not getting picked up. I'm so disappointed and upset and...ANNOYED. I cannot believe they left it like that. UGH.

I will check out the French version for sure. They have it on Netflix as well. But, I think first I'm going to check out Bate's Motel because it's the one show A&E has successfully managed to hold an audience with, which must mean it's pretty good.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
I think your logic there has holes, heh.

Have you watched The Fall? It's not paranormal or anything, but it's fantastic, creepy, atmospheric, great acting...Stick with the brits.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Just added The Fall to my list. It actually looks fantastic. I think I might watched that first. Well, after I finish Jessica Jones. ;)

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Jane "Scully" Bond Gibson will Blow. Your. Mind. :D

Loverofwords

Registered
Reaction score
Just added The Fall to my list. It actually looks fantastic. I think I might watched that first. Well, after I finish Jessica Jones. ;)

Oooh yes! Jessica Jones had me laughing and biting my nails all at once. What a fantastic show.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
She is a fantastic character. I almost love her as much as Debra from Dexter. Debra Morgan had a few more layers to her personality.

Last edited: