PDA

View Full Version : Can I self-pub while waiting for agents to reply?

suzan528
06-16-2016, 10:51 PM
I know this process is slow, but I've had fulls out since end of March and I'm so tempted to self-publish while I wait (I design my own covers - everythings ready to go). Is that a no-no?

appreciate the advice.

Fruitbat
06-16-2016, 10:59 PM
Yes, that is a no-no. Many, if not most, publishers and agents would then consider your book already published and therefore not be interested in it.

Waiting SUCKS. But wait you must. :(

Maggie Maxwell
06-16-2016, 11:00 PM
Assuming you're asking if you can self-publish the book you're shopping, if you do, that book is no longer on the market. You've used up first publication rights, and most publishers and agents aren't going to touch it anymore unless it becomes a bestseller. Plus you will permanently destroy the bridge with any agent who gets back with you interested in representing the manuscript. You've wasted their time, not just for reading your now-unavailable novel, but for any work they did preparing and planning its submissions to publishers. Either inform them all that the manuscript is no longer available for representation, or just wait and prod when the agent's directions tell you to prod on a full. Publishing is a lot of "hurry up and wait" for authors, and impatience has destroyed many a potential agent/author relationship.

If, however, you mean self-publishing other things while this MS is out, I don't see much harm aside from potential low sales making you look bad.

Filigree
06-16-2016, 11:35 PM
The low sales pit is something to worry about. Don't do it to any mms unless you have an ulterior motive.

veinglory
06-16-2016, 11:35 PM
Self-publishing is publishing. So once you have done that the agent issue, 99% of the time, becomes moot.

Parametric
06-16-2016, 11:46 PM
If you're impatient, you could set yourself a deadline by which you'll pull all outstanding submissions and self-publish if you don't have an offer by then.

Carrie in PA
06-17-2016, 03:25 AM
I know this process is slow, but I've had fulls out since end of March <snip>

First, getting requests for fulls is a fantastic step. Getting an agent past the query and asking for your ms is not easy.

Second. An agent having your full since March is *not* that long. The three month mark is when you can start nudging - sending a polite follow up email asking if your work is still under consideration. (Note - many agents' websites list their response times. Check there before nudging.)

Third, work on something else and put this project on the back burner. It helps ease the searing pain of an empty inbox. :)

kenpochick
06-17-2016, 09:40 PM
Work on something else. :-) Like everyone else has said, self-publishing is publishing so once you decide to do this, you're done shopping this manuscript. Have patience and work on something else.

Old Hack
06-18-2016, 10:15 AM
Either look for an agent, look for a publisher, or self publish. But don't attempt to do more than one of those three things at once for the same book.

If you're finding the waiting difficult, write a new book.

suzan528
06-19-2016, 09:16 PM
Thank you all so much for responses! As suggested, Ill just start on the a new one, and prod the agents gently. xoxo