PDA

View Full Version : Endometriosis Infertility

SageChild
06-16-2016, 12:01 PM
Hi :)

My character was abused heavily to the point where she was near death when she was 9.

Endometriosis can be painless for some women and that causes it to go undiagnosed for a long time.

Is there anyone who can confirm that it can be diagnosed 9 years later after the abuse?

In my manuscript, she starts feeling weird pain 9 years later and then has the surgery that has her diagnosed.

Thank you!

GeorgeK
06-16-2016, 04:18 PM
If you mean, "can endometriosis be diagnosed at the age of 18?" then yes and there are presumptive diagnoses based upon responses to hormonal manipulations and there are objective diagnoses based on biopsies which would require either laparoscopic or open surgery. As to childhood abuse causing endometriosis, that is a very controversial topic. Granted I'm sure that I haven't read everything about it but the articles that I've read supporting the concept were very much less than scholarly, a lot of false premises, wrong statistical methods, failure to have objective measurements. That said, a conclusion being scientifically invalid does not mean that a conclusion is necessarily wrong, just that it was arrived at with improper means.

I was also questioning if many physicians would do an infertility work up on an 18 year old, but you said that the surgery that diagnosed it was done because of pain, that helps. Having endometriosis don't mean someone will be infertile necessarily. If they wanted to evaluate further than the surgery, the next test would possibly be a hysterosalpingogram

DeannaR
06-16-2016, 10:33 PM
There are lots of great pages on endometriosis. It can only be diagnosed through surgery. It is a leading cause of infertility, but many women are still able to become pregnant. There are various stages of endo but the stage does not always correspond with pain levels. Some women are stage 1 with dibilitating pain and some stage 4 with minimal. The most common treatment is the removal as much scar tissue as possible in surgery and to place a mirena iud (this is not a be all end all treatment, for some it works for others it makes it worse). If endo is caused by abuse? I don't think so. Perhaps it can be a factor on some level but most common beliefs is genetic. There is actually little known, and no cure.

ETA: And, to add. Most women go undiagnosed for years because knowledge is limited. 10+ years seems to be the norm. To be diagnosed at 18 is a rarity because most drs dont listen. Though it can happen if she finds a knowledgeable dr:)

Catherine_Beyer
06-16-2016, 11:41 PM
In most cases, the diagnosis is not made through surgery. Pelvic exams, ultrasounds and blood tests can all point to it to varying degrees. I'm guessing they would only confirm with surgery if it was bad enough to be considering a surgical option to fix it. Surgery is expensive and dangerous. You don't do it unless it's a necessity. Insurance won't pay for it and doctors won't do it. "Weird pain," is not going to warrant surgery with general anaesthesia.

BTW, endometriosis led to a full hysterectomy in my case. My cousin, however, was diagnosed with it in her 20s yet gave birth to three children.

DeannaR
06-17-2016, 01:12 AM
Endo can be presumed with other techniques. But as I was told, it cannot be confirmed without surgery. Though this option is a last resort as it can be dangerous (as any surgery). I had the surgery about 6 months ago in order to have it diagnosed and removal of damaged tissue. The pain had to be persistent, and gaining intensity before they would consider the surgery. my doc highly recommended it based on my history.

I have no knowledge about insurance, and my doctor had no issues of performing the surgery. Depending where OP is setting the novel, but in Canada surgery in this case doesn't cost anything.

autumnleaf
06-18-2016, 02:23 PM
Hillary Mantel's memoir Giving Up The Ghost details her struggles with endometriosis. She had a particularly bad case but it could be a good source for the psychological as well as physical side of it.

mccardey
06-18-2016, 02:45 PM
Hi :)

My character was abused heavily to the point where she was near death when she was 9.

Endometriosis can be painless for some women and that causes it to go undiagnosed for a long time.

Is there anyone who can confirm that it can be diagnosed 9 years later after the abuse?

In my manuscript, she starts feeling weird pain 9 years later and then has the surgery that has her diagnosed.

Thank you!

Are you assuming that people will think endometriosis is caused by sexual abuse? I have several friends with endo - one very severely - but I've never heard that posited as a cause.

Is this a new thing?

SageChild
07-06-2016, 08:41 PM
Thank you to all that have replied! :)