• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Wanted: Beta Reader for Upper MG/Lower YA Fantasy - The Shadow War

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
I've recently finished edits on a manuscript, and I think it's ready for it's first look. :) The Shadow War is an upper Middle-Grade/lower YA novella, complete at 45,000 words. This is the second book in a fantasy series. I self-published the first book (Magic's Stealing) last September and I will be self-publishing this one as well.

I'm looking for general feedback at this point. Are there plot holes? Questions left unanswered? Do any of the characters act out of character? (Of course, if you see a typo, feel free to let me know). Any sections that seem bogged down or confusing? Sections you absolutely love or hate? I can take fairly blunt criticism, and I understand if you start to read it and realize it's not your thing. (Just let me know, though, if you decide not to continue reading).

Here's a very rough blurb:

With ribbon magic stolen from Cirena, the two remaining mages head to the local port city to warn them of an impending attack by shadows, beings who are impervious to mortal weapons. But a sinister plot is already underway, and when one of the young mages is captured by the shadows, they realize the situation is far worse than they imagined.

I'm hoping to have notes back within 2-4 weeks.

I would be happy to have someone read it and see if it makes sense without having read the first book, but if you want to read the first book before taking on the second one, I can send you a free ebook copy. Also, if you want to do a beta exchange, I can do that. But I do tend to be extremely slow unless it's only one or two chapters. (I particularly enjoy young adult books, especially science fiction and dystopia, but I can offer help in grammatical editing and making the flow of the writing sound better--that's the part that usually slows me down when beta-reading.)

Thanks for looking! Let me know if you're interested. :)

anthonymbriggs

Registered
Reaction score
Hi SBibb! Sounds interesting, I'll take a look at it. I'm normally pretty good at spotting plot holes, and I'm working on my on MG series as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.