Need a Little Advice

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I received an e-mail today from this lady who supposedly works at New Media Strategies. She claimed that her company is working in conjunction with the SciFic Channel, promoting the new season of Ghost Hunters. She offer to I guess sponsor a couple of contests on my Ghost Stories blog, providing the prizes and covering all shipping costs.

Of course this would be a great opportunity. However, since becoming a serious writer, I've learned to check out great opportunities like this and make sure it's legit. I went to the website and it looks legit but I still wasn't sure. So, I checked the Better Business Bureau and came up with nothing and I even went as far as emailing the group marketing director of the advertising company at the SciFi Channel. I'm waiting for his response.

I guess what I am looking for here is a little advice on if I'm covering all my bases here or is there something else I should do?

Last edited:

Flood

I would suggest getting a phone number to discuss the issue, as well as ask for references from sites that have participated from such sponsorship and seen some benefit.

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I think my main concern is that all the stuff she's promising like t-shirts, key chains, etc. either isn't real Ghost Hunter merchandise or the people who win the stuff ends up not getting the prizes at all.

I just don't want to promise my readers stuff. Then, all this turns out to be some kind of a scam and they not get what I promised them.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
Yes, that is something to be concerned about. I'd ask for references to contact who are real winners of the contest. Contacting Ghost Hunter and asking about it couldn't hurt either.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
It wouldn't hurt to Google them as well and see what the press and other sites are saying about them. It turns out that the studios and producers are turning to PR companies to help promote shows in non-traditional ways. I manage web site that's dedicated to a different TV program, and the producers have hired a similar company to promote the show via web sites. They've sent a few news items along, but so far they've all been items I would have posted had I found them via other sources.

So I wouldn't be surprised if this is legit, but do check into it just to be sure. The production office would be glad to verify.

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I haven't had a chance yet but I'm going to take some of y'alls advice. As I said before, I contacted the advertising company with the Sci Fi Channel. I have yet to hear back from them; Not sure if I will or not. I'm going to email back this woman and see if I can get a few reference sites from her and I'll also contact Ghost Hunters and see if they know anything about it. I'll probably also contact New Media Strategies just to make sure this woman works with them. Then, go from there.

I'll let y'all know about any new developments with this. Thanks for the help.

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I got a response today from the lady and although she wouldn't give me several references cuz of confidentiality rules or whatever, she did provide one:

http://www.movieweb.com/tv/news/98/11898.php

Of course, I also asked a few questions in regards to what she was offering. According to her, the prizes are actually one prize pack (i.e. one DVD, t-shirt and key chain) to be given away as a whole or can be separated for one contest.

She included her phone number so that I could reach her.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Google her number and make sure it goes where she says it does. You might also try the [email protected] address and see if that gets you anywhere.

They look legit - apparently they did some work for a few FOX shows - but it doesn't hurt to check 'em out.