PDA

View Full Version : Blog editor: A trendy new job???

razibahmed
04-26-2006, 02:38 AM
Dear all,
For the last few days, there has been some discussion about earning money through blogging. I saw this report in CNN Money (http://money.cnn.com/2006/04/20/pf/new_jobs/?cnn=yes) where the reporter says:
"Blog editor: I blog, you blog, we all blog apparently, judging from the proliferation of blogs in the past two years. The success of influential ones like Wonkette.com has companies wanting in on the perceived edginess of the blogosphere.

"Blogging" is not only starting to creep into people's job descriptions, but recruiters are starting to see blog-related job listings.

One on Monster.com seeks a blog editor "to manage and moderate blogs for clients and to write for the company blog on PR and new media topics."

Please take a look at the article and it will be nice if we can discuss about it.

Dawno
04-26-2006, 07:21 AM
Super topic! Sounds like somebody's dream job, too. I'm also very interested in hearing what our forum participants think. Thanks razibahmed!

RobCurtis
04-27-2006, 03:47 AM
I do fear that blogs are the new dot-com revolution. Everyone needs to get aboard the blog bus, yes? Why? Well, because everyone else is doing it. And the purpose? To keep people informed, yada yada yada.

By and large, weblogs are a huge information bucket, into which you pour your heart, and nothing comes out. They're like a write-only memory. Not many people have time to read all of the blogs they have bookmarked. I know I don't.

Insomnicole
04-27-2006, 04:49 AM
Hm. I work in my company's web department, and every once in a while we run into this: One of our divisions will decide they want a blog.

Great, we say. What would you like to go into the blog? What is it going to be about? Who's the intended audience, and do you want them to be able to comment?

And that's where it falls down. They know blogs are "hot" and thus, they want one. They just don't know what to do with it or have any idea what it involves.

I'm not poo-pooing the idea for every company; I think that it could even work for our company if it was done well. That seems to be a big "if", though.

RobCurtis
04-29-2006, 03:23 AM
One organisation where I sometimes work is having a conference, and one of the leaders is publishing a conference blog.

Oh dear. Unfunny quips, "I did this ...", "I did that ...", bragging about his possessions, and just total boredom. I only read it out of duty, and to see just how bad blogging can get. The danger is that he is speaheading the use of weblogs for this organisation, but no one's going to be impressed. Except him, of course.

veinglory
04-29-2006, 03:29 AM
I think it's more that peopel involves with company outreach and PR now use blogs as well as everyting else--more than a whole new job category...

JulieB
04-30-2006, 03:34 AM
And that's where it falls down. They know blogs are "hot" and thus, they want one. They just don't know what to do with it or have any idea what it involves.

It's not just blogs. Executives with too much time on their hands see these buzzwords and become completely convinced that riding the wave will be the ticket to their - sorry, the company's http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif - glory. They just point at someone and say "do it." They don't think about the ramifications; they just want it done.

Great, we say. What would you like to go into the blog? What is it going to be about? Who's the intended audience, and do you want them to be able to comment?

You're asking the right questions. Of course, the answer is that the blog is a shiny bauble, and therefore they must have it.

Gee, you wouldn't know that I was a corporate webmaster once, would you? Good luck.