Information about a Portland, OR location - preferably from a local.

MurderOfCrows

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a story that's going cross-country from a little south of Fort Clatsop through Portland and onward. Right now I need some good ideas for locations that would:

A: Be long-standing landmarks that one would expect to probably be there in the next ten years
B: Not be an important enough landmark that a supervillain would blow it up (important for this particular setting)
C: That is somewhat off the beaten path, but would be an ideal place to have a brief meet up with a shady character AND have a place our intrepid travelers could have grabbed lunch at nearby beforehand before one of them sneaks off to meet with said Shady Character.
D: Bonus if it is outdoors, but not necessary. A clandestine meet in a book store, comic shop, or tea grotto would be just as cool.
D2: Bonus if this place has a WEBSITE or something I can look at for research, or pictures on the net (or poster suggested/taken pictures!)

Where does my aging prison escapee meet with his shady contact in Portland, and how much weird will he see when he deals with it?

MurderOfCrows

Registered
Reaction score
Wandering around on Google Street View ghas given me some ideas, but nothing like first hand account of the city and it's oddities & color will.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Powell's books. But if you blow that up everyone will be sad.

Saturday market

Pioneer Square

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Voodoo Donuts.

It's right near the river, it's famous enough to be iconic(ish) but not as famous as Powell's books, and it's in a somewhat sketchy bit of town (at least, it was last time I was there!).

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

All of the following are outdoors, or have extensive grounds.

The Grotto. AKA National Sanctuary of Our Sorrowful Mother.

Leach Botanical Garden.

Pittock Mansion.

Oregon Zoo.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.3doorsdowncafe.com/#comein

They're on a waterfront. You can watch the people training on dragon boats (sort of like crew but with giant multi-people kayaks) have outside tables and have excellent bloody mary's. Instead of the usual celery stick, there was a skewer with salami, cheese and olives

Not a native, just had a nice vacation there

Last edited:

MurderOfCrows

Registered
Reaction score
Right now it seems to be a hot running between Powell's books (easy to get through from central portland, not far from a gas station, good landmark lots will recognize) and The Grotto (the man whose death they're investigating was a devout catholic but his lover's a secular Jew with problems/conflict with faith.)

I just want a map of the Grotto so badly. Powell's is easy to fiddle with visually, but I really want an idea of the Grotto layout.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

It's been years since we've been to the Grotto. And we're now 2+ hours away. I do remember that the Grotto itself is open, not enclosed, with a high rocky backdrop with a mild overhang. The usual Catholic paraphernalia, but not being Catholic, I don't remember the statue, just that there was at least one. The grounds are fairly, but not hugely extensive. It was an uphill walk to the Grotto itself.

That's the best my memory is doing.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Los Pollos Hermanos

Craving the next chocolate hit...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm definitely not a local, but Voodoo Donuts was delicious! I bought the voodoo doll one and the "rude" one, headed out to Mt St Helens and stuffed my face. I also stayed in Hood River if that helps with any other part of the story?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I couldn't find a map either, but if you want one, you might try calling the friars who maintain the site and asking if they have one they could email.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
So I'm a local and have been to the Grotto and Voodoo Donuts etc. What season are you thinking for the scene? It's rainy here a lot, and snows some in the winter.

The Grotto might be a good spot. It's off the beaten path but easy to get to and has a lot of garden areas with all sorts of little shaded spots on the upper level. There's an elevator that takes you to the top. There's a gift shop on the lower level. I've gone a few times and there's usually other people walking around but not many, except in December when they have Christmas lights and choirs.

https://thegrotto.org/visit/

Please don't blow up Powell's Books!

Last edited:

MurderOfCrows

Registered
Reaction score
I will not blow up Powell's books! But I might leave a dead drop in The Grotto for a Radioactive Jerk left by a technologically advanced Squid in it. Hopefully he won't set fire to anything important when the Squid pisses him off.

A friend of mine in Portland is apparently sending me a ton of maps and items, bless his soul, so hopefully I can plot these scenes out nicely (And provide refs to the eventual artist for the script.)