PDA

View Full Version : AMC's Preacher

dragonjax
06-14-2016, 06:25 AM
Anyone watching PREACHER on AMC?

I'm still not sure what to make of it. Read/loved the comics, but so far the series feels so disjointed. Willing to stick around, but I'd like there to be some cohesion soonish.

Pterofan
06-15-2016, 02:47 AM
I probably won't be around much longer. I wanted to like it, and they did get Cassidy right, but it's just not doing it for me. Looks like it's back to Bar Rescue on Sunday nights. Maybe Jon Taffer could switch to being a Bible thumper, y'think?

And anyway, Jesse's started calling Cassidy "Cass." Sorry, but as far as I'm concerned there's only one Cas on TV.

Underdawg47
06-15-2016, 03:49 AM
I like it a lot. I like the visual look of it. I love the characters. It seems quirky and fun. I can see it being one of my favorite shows to watch on Sunday night.

telford
06-15-2016, 05:29 AM
Yeah, I like it but it needs to lift it's game. I'll hang in for a while.

Ravioli
06-15-2016, 10:17 AM
After doting on it on a geek group, I was politely informed that I was wrong because it's shit because the source reading material was better (blah blah blah). I love it. I love the character. He's my sort of male protagonist. A handsome jerk with a very vulnerable side. Also love the vampire. You don't always get this type of vulgar-ass vampire who defies the stereotype of runway model handsome.
I will enjoy me episode 3 for dinner today.

dragonjax
06-16-2016, 04:43 AM
Sorry, but as far as I'm concerned there's only one Cas on TV.

Well, yes. But just think: Jessidy.

Ravioli
06-16-2016, 10:59 AM
Well, yes. But just think: Jessidy.
Ooooooooh *slobbers disgustingly*

leifwright
06-16-2016, 11:51 AM
the vampire seals the deal for me. I loved him in that BBC show about people who mysteriously got super powers (can't remember the name), and he's even more irreverent, crasser in this.

I've never read the comics, but I thoroughly enjoy seeing Seth Rogan produce something that isn't a stoner comedy.

I'm watching for at least the rest of the season.

Ravioli
06-16-2016, 12:17 PM
the vampire seals the deal for me. I loved him in that BBC show about people who mysteriously got super powers (can't remember the name), and he's even more irreverent, crasser in this.

Misfits. He is what I like about British TV. More important than pretty faces, they tend to go for character.

Fantasyart
06-23-2016, 02:10 PM
My hubby and I watch it and love it, kind of in a way reminds me of the similar filming to that of Supernatural. Preacher is pretty funny especially, the one liners are seeing us laughing out loud.

startraveller
06-26-2016, 02:12 AM
I do like the show, but it's a bit clunky. It seems like there's so much foreshadowing going on it's hard to enjoy it one episode at a time, so I'll probably do a binge at the end of the season. I've been a fan of Cooper, Negga, and Gilgun for years and want them to succeed on a larger scale, so fingers crossed.

Pterofan
07-05-2016, 10:23 PM
I'd almost moved on from this when Sunday's episode reeled me back in. That opening fight scene was hilarious.

And, oh god help me, I can see the Jessidy. Why is it men on TV have better chemistry with other guys than they do with their designated love interests?

dragonjax
07-06-2016, 01:54 AM
And, oh god help me, I can see the Jessidy. Why is it men on TV have better chemistry with other guys than they do with their designated love interests?
You're just saying that because of the underwear scene. ;)

And yes, that opening sequence was amazeballs.

Pterofan
07-06-2016, 09:33 PM
At least the women characters got equal bonding time. "You broke my kid's art thing." Priceless.

dragonjax
07-06-2016, 10:49 PM
At least the women characters got equal bonding time. "You broke my kid's art thing." Priceless.

That was good, yes. But I had to force myself to roll with it when Tulip returned to fix the kid's art thing. I would have punched her in her teeth. But maybe I have anger issues.

Pterofan
07-06-2016, 11:37 PM
Or maybe the average TV writer has trouble writing female characters. That would explain why women on TV shows get killed off a lot.

"Hey, I can't make this scene work. How the hell do women talk to each other unless they talk about men?"

"Hell, I dunno. Just kill her off. Then we can bring in another hot guy so more women will watch. It worked on that other show."

OliverCrown
07-07-2016, 12:08 AM
Still watching this. Opening fight scene was Comedy Gold! /1998 internet

I have mixed feelings about this show. As a general rule when we find something we love - book, movie, car - we latch onto the initial version as "The Epitome Of The Thing" and walk into any subsequent version with a ton of baggage. I'm no different than most.

Preacher is perhaps my 3rd favorite comic of all time so I have to check my baggage at the door . . . and I'm glad I've done so. Watching this as a totally separate entity/Elseworlds things makes it more enjoyable for me personally. I did need a bit of a pick me up after the end of this episode. Lucky me! I own Captain America: The First Avenger and all was cotton candy again.

:tongue

dragonjax
07-07-2016, 05:46 AM
Still watching this. Opening fight scene was Comedy Gold! /1998 internet

I have mixed feelings about this show. As a general rule when we find something we love - book, movie, car - we latch onto the initial version as "The Epitome Of The Thing" and walk into any subsequent version with a ton of baggage. I'm no different than most.

Preacher is perhaps my 3rd favorite comic of all time so I have to check my baggage at the door . . . and I'm glad I've done so. Watching this as a totally separate entity/Elseworlds things makes it more enjoyable for me personally. I did need a bit of a pick me up after the end of this episode. Lucky me! I own Captain America: The First Avenger and all was cotton candy again.

:tongue

Yeah, it definitely deviated from the comics. But did you catch the reference when Cassidy asked Jesse where he got the ink on his back, and Jesse replied that "A mean old lady" gave it to him? I'm very hopeful that's a reference to Miss Marie/Grandma.

- - - Updated - - -

Or maybe the average TV writer has trouble writing female characters. That would explain why women on TV shows get killed off a lot.

"Hey, I can't make this scene work. How the hell do women talk to each other unless they talk about men?"

"Hell, I dunno. Just kill her off. Then we can bring in another hot guy so more women will watch. It worked on that other show."

:ROFL:

Calla Lily
08-02-2016, 03:14 PM
Tell me this gets better. I'm 1/3 through ep one and b-o-r-e-d. And I like the actor playing the MC!

nighttimer
08-02-2016, 04:48 PM
First season is done and while Preacher had moments I liked, I never loved it. It's just too uneven as it wobbles from comedy to drama and trying to be off the wall. I don't know whether its because Dominic Cooper in no way makes me think of Jesse Custer who was Texas down to his toes.

The guy who plays Cassidy is fine, but Ruth Negga's Tulip isn't getting it done for me at all. The Cowboy/Saint of Killers livens up the proceedings, but all n' all, Preacher only earns a "C" from me.

The story of Jesse's Godquest entertained me for every one of the 66 issues of the Vertigo comic book. This only mildly held my interest. I'd come back for a second season, but I'm going to need a better reason to program the DVR than what season one gave me.