PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Queens?

triceretops
06-13-2016, 04:26 PM
I've researched my fingers off and the more I hunt the more confused I get. I need a Sumarian, Syrian or Mesopotamian queen or priestess that was all powerful, intelligent, known for her striking beauty and likened to a fertility God, but she was flesh and blood and lived. I'm staging a scene near Iraq, where a surprise discovery is made of an unknown tomb of said type of person. I don't think ancient Iraq had queens. Who was the whore/prostitute of Babylon? Was she powerful? did she have the station of priestess? I've found a Hathor, a Tamar and some high priestess of the "Temple of the Goddess." I listened to a video about a supposed queen or priestess that was named Shankchute or something close to that. I don't know the real spelling of her name but she had tons of slaves and workers. And what about Inanna--a real beautiful and powerful temptress?--I can't place Inanna's location exactly.

Any help would be appreciated. My head reels with this.

Tri

Shivana
06-13-2016, 04:56 PM
Hello,

I vaguely remembered reading about this Queen.. and managed to find her in Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shammuramat

Sammuramat was an empress regnant of Assyria between 811 and 808 BCE or from 809 to 792 BCE.She was one of the first known women to rule an empire.

Shammuramat was a wife of King Shamshi-Adad V and after he died in 811 BC, she ruled the Neo-Assyrian Empire as its regent for five years until her son Adad-nirari III came of age. Other chronologies suggest that her regency lasted from 809 to 792 BCE.

She ruled at a time of political uncertainty, which is one of the possible explanations for why Assyrians may have accepted her rule (as normally a woman as ruler would have been unthinkable). In the city of Ashur, she had an obelisk built and inscribed, which read:

Stele of Sammuramat, queen of Shamshi-Adad, King of the Universe, King of Assyria, Mother of Adad Nirari, King of the Universe, King of Assyria, Daughter-in-Law of Shalmaneser, King of the Four Regions of the World.

Associated with

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semiramis (semi legendary)

Filigree
06-13-2016, 05:01 PM
Tri, this book had some fascinating stuff in it, if I recall rightly (it's packed in a storage facility right now, so I can't check.)

https://www.amazon.com/Womens-Work-First-Years-Society/dp/0393313484

Apparently many of the ancient queens of the Fertile Crescent ran economically important fine craft ateliers, with their weavings and embroidered goods highly valued trade goods. You can bet they were shrewd business women behind their posturing peacock husbands.

Also check out some of the newer archeological ideas about the Queen of Sheba (probably Saba), and the surviving info about the Nabataeans who created Petra.

waylander
06-13-2016, 05:50 PM
Zenobia of Palmyra fits some of your requirements

triceretops
06-13-2016, 06:48 PM
You guys are nailing it. I forgot about Queen of Sheba, Filigree. I'll get after that one. Sammuramat might be a real good candidate too, Shivana.

Zenobia of Palmyra fits some of your requirements. I just found her, walander. She has everything I'm looking for. There's different theories about her death, but I can use the execution one.

I'm going to have an A-10 Warthog cross Syria, headed for Iraq during the first war. The pilot, via accident or mechanical malfunction, drops a 500 pounder in the middle of the Syrian desert outside of Palmyra and blasts open a tomb that is filled to the gunnels with the one of richest treasures in history. The pilot relays he's left a gaping hole in the earth. He's told by his superiors to do a flyby recon to make sure no friendlies were hurt or structures demolished. The pilot relays back that the area is clear but he's left a huge gaping hole in the desert and it looks like there are sun-reflected objects inside it. The US moves in swiftly, performs a quick inspection, covers the area with tarps and camo nets, puts a guarded perimeter up and starts packing everything out and transporting the artifacts to America. It's illegal as hell, but it's possible that Zenobia's tomb was inside the Iraqi border, so our military and government wouldn't feel too badly about heisting it--spoils of war.

Naturally, the involved country finds out about the theft and sends assassins and their version of special ops to somehow recover the loot (haven't figured that part out yet).

The American team finds a solid gold statue in a distant anti-room in the form of the most beautiful woman any human has ever seen--I mean Michelangelo couldn't have carved out something as stunning. The statue is so beautifully rendered it blows the minds of the male and female archeologists and they break into sweats while packing it up.

When they get home, they begin a rigorous examination of the entire treasure inventory, but burn most of their time on the gold statue. Who is she? Inside the casting of the of the statue is the de-fleshed bones of a female. X rays show that this woman was beheaded, so that fits one of the theories about Zenobia getting executed. I'm looking for kind of a Clancy-type espionage thriller, where it's possible the whole world, or at least the Middle East, becomes outraged at the US for ripping off the treasure. Hello WW III, or something.

Sheba and Sammuramat are next on my followup list.

Do you think this story line will work if I get all the research and facts right? It seems daunting, but this story has been with me for 11 years, screaming to be written. I have to figure out if any of our aircraft came from the Mediterranean area and did a flyover Syria. It just might work if I don't hit too many snags.

Sorry, mods. This might have done better in the sandbox, but I needed some help with the queens.Thanks, buds!

waylander
06-13-2016, 08:07 PM
You could have a secret cult that regard her as a demi-god and maybe some connection to the original Assassins who were from somewhere nearby.

triceretops
06-13-2016, 08:33 PM
The Romans actually captured her and brought her to Rome in chains. They pursued the Palmyreans, caught them and killed nearly all of them. But yeah, a cult could remain behind and spirit the dead body of their queen out of Rome and entomb her near her birthplace--big ritual and all that stuff.

waylander
06-13-2016, 09:58 PM
The Romans actually captured her and brought her to Rome in chains. They pursued the Palmyreans, caught them and killed nearly all of them. But yeah, a cult could remain behind and spirit the dead body of their queen out of Rome and entomb her near her birthplace--big ritual and all that stuff.

We have only Roman sources for what happened......and they would say that wouldn't they?

MDSchafer
06-13-2016, 10:52 PM
I'd go with either Ru Paul or Elton John

Shivana
06-13-2016, 11:38 PM
Sheba could be very interesting. She was the wife of King Solomon.

There is the 'Seat of Sheba' (sic) in Yemen. Recently, I read an article about the transcriptions on the wall there which refer supposedly to the 'Arc of the Covenant' having been buried there.

triceretops
06-14-2016, 05:18 AM
We have only Roman sources for what happened......and they would say that wouldn't they?

True that.

triceretops
06-14-2016, 05:19 AM
Sheba could be very interesting. She was the wife of King Solomon.

There is the 'Seat of Sheba' (sic) in Yemen. Recently, I read an article about the transcriptions on the wall there which refer supposedly to the 'Arc of the Covenant' having been buried there.

Thank you for that bit. It's worth the read.

josephperin
06-14-2016, 06:08 AM
1) Does it have to be someone in recorded history? Can she be from mythology? Flesh and blood still

2) Will Indian do?

triceretops
06-14-2016, 08:05 PM
1) Does it have to be someone in recorded history? Can she be from mythology? Flesh and blood still

2) Will Indian do?

I was thinking that maybe it could have been a worshiped Goddess from mythology, only that she is discovered to have been a real person. Like maybe Aphrodite or someone? But I had to place the personage near Iraq somehow to explain the accident.

WeaselFire
06-14-2016, 11:01 PM
You're going to need a serious reason for the US to invade a then-neutral country and steal antiquities. It just doesn't happen. If there were indications of weapons of mass destruction, you'd have an angle for it, maybe radiation or a chemical signature picked up somehow. But, once it was known there were artifacts, plausibility for removal is going to be the most serious issue to overcome.

Not knocking the plot, just saying you're going to have to get to some level of acceptable suspension of disbelief in a reader. Lord knows that Tom Clancy fans have a serious suspension of disbelief, but Clancy manages to weave it all into something extremely plausible through the circumstances presented.

Jeff

Maybe continue the WMD angle and have the radiation or chemical signature coming from the artifacts. People in charge believe someone has put WMDs in, or somehow weaponized, the artifacts. Remove them for further, detailed analysis.

triceretops
06-15-2016, 02:23 AM
Yeah, that was my biggest concern. That's why I thought I could get away with such a theft in Iraq (right smack on the border), since we were at war with them at the time. I'll think about the WMD angle, because it could prove out that the US thinks the cavern is a hidden depot for such things and really needs to investigate it. Yet, swiping antiquities is still a major plot point that needs to be fully addressed. Under even war, I don't believe the Us would do that unless another less-known, clandestine agency somehow got the mission or took it upon themselves to investigate. After the pilot is debriefed, he could rat off what he did and what he saw to some friends, and then they could spread the word about the find.

aygnm
06-22-2016, 02:14 AM
Yeah, that was my biggest concern. That's why I thought I could get away with such a theft in Iraq (right smack on the border), since we were at war with them at the time. I'll think about the WMD angle, because it could prove out that the US thinks the cavern is a hidden depot for such things and really needs to investigate it. Yet, swiping antiquities is still a major plot point that needs to be fully addressed. Under even war, I don't believe the Us would do that unless another less-known, clandestine agency somehow got the mission or took it upon themselves to investigate. After the pilot is debriefed, he could rat off what he did and what he saw to some friends, and then they could spread the word about the find.

How about a private security firm a la Blackwater? Or an NGO trying to remove ordnance a la Princess Diana's charity?

triceretops
06-22-2016, 07:45 AM
How about a private security firm a la Blackwater? Or an NGO trying to remove ordnance a la Princess Diana's charity?

That could work. I'm just wondering how this discovery could pass from the military to such a separate entity. There would have to be a conduit. Could such a team be absolved of such a theft if caught?

Deb Kinnard
06-22-2016, 07:28 PM
Responding to the original post: as I understand current thinking about the Biblical term "whore of Babylon," this is not necessarily a person, but a system. The authors of the current New Testament felt that there had been religions over time who'd perverted the Truth, and lumped most of them under this title in that they had "whored" themselves to the gaining of worldly goods and power.

triceretops
06-23-2016, 08:12 AM
Nice to see you, Deb. Yes, I had the understanding, or had heard decades ago, that the Catholic church might have been linked to the Whore of Babylon. I also vaguely remember something called "the whore of the prophets" or some such.In any case, it had something to do with organized religion?