A nice moose story

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
We here in Anchorage, Alaska, live in the moose capital of the planet. The largest moose are found here in south-central Alaska, and in the city there are vast tracts of largely unspoiled woodland, prime moose habitat. I happen to live, literally, across the street from the second-largest city park in the U.S. of A., and it teems with all kinds of wildlife, including lots of moose. So we see them with great regularity.

Well, yesterday, I was doing some yard/garden work, and started to walk around the back side of the house, only to find myself being stared at, maybe ten yards away, by an enormous mother moose and two calves, born probably in April or early May. Now you don't want to mess around with a mother moose who stands six feet or more high at the shoulder and probably weighs eight or nine hundred pounds. So I quick ducked back into the house.

At which point I went out the back door to my deck, protected by a big spruce tree and railings all around, to watch the beasties. They saw me, too, from a similar close distance, but I was very calm and slow-moving (the latter is something I've got very good at in recent years*), and sat down on a bench, just to watch them.

After a half-minute or so, mom moose seemed to have determined me to be no threat, and went to browsing on a willow that has overgrown the fence on the back side of the yard. She clipped off a big sprig of it, and held it out toward one of the little guys, who took a bite, munched it, and decided that it was a good thing. Immediately both youngsters went to browsing on the willow branches. Mom then decided that corner of the yard was a good place to take a break, and folded herself down into a lying position, while the young'uns continued eating. After a couple of minutes, they too decided they needed a break, and joined mom in relaxed composure.

It was a lesson in moose school. She was clearly showing them what was a good thing to eat, and they learned a valuable lesson. This mom moose I have seen before. She has been around for several years, and is recognizable by a really nasty set of scars she bears on her left side, scars she bears from encounters with bears. She's also becoming gray**, but seems pretty healthy. I think she's the same one who gave birth to twins (they're almost always twins, for some reason) in my garden several years ago.

After a few minutes as I sat there sipping a glass of wine and watching them, I went inside to bed down myself. In the morning, they had moved on.

It was Alaska. An enjoyable bit of it.

caw

* Just ask my wife.

** As am I.

noirdood

Registered
Reaction score
Nice story. I glad you gave the moose family the respect and consideration needed. Too many people these days would charge the moose, turn their backs and try to take a Selfish. It would upset Mamma Moose to have to stomp such a person into hamburger -- right in front of the kids and all. Let mooses be mooses.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Aww what a delightful story blacbird. That safe eating lesson is fabulous, I would have assumed the babes just copied mama but to offer the sprig is really interesting :) .

I've been on wallaby watch the past couple of weeks, they've been grazing in the house paddock near where I feed my pet sheep. They check me out for a minute then go back to their business - perhaps they take a lead from my sheep who aren't bolting from two-legs-bad. Usually I only see single wallabies but the other day there were four of them. Must be enjoying the sweet new grass we've got after it finally rained here :hooray: .

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Nice story. I glad you gave the moose family the respect and consideration needed. Too many people these days would charge the moose, turn their backs and try to take a Selfish. It would upset Mamma Moose to have to stomp such a person into hamburger -- right in front of the kids and all. Let mooses be mooses.

Don't think too many people in their right mind would charge a Mommy moose with two calves ... at least not twice.

Alaska is he only state I Haven't been in .. near the op of my bucket list

nice story ... most wild life will live with you if you let them

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Lol, moose selfies - The next big thing.

When I read the title, I wondered if it would be a nice story about a moose, or a story about a nice moose. Turns out, it was both! Nice story about a nice moose. :)

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
You must be a trustworthy person, blacbird, if moose are giving birth and napping (leaving the calves unsupervised) in your yard. A moose knows good people.:D

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen a moose in the flesh, so to speak. But at our house in the mountains we have deer and elk. Because we are out in the woods, they tend to wander through the property. I like seeing them. Many years ago we were in Estes Park CO. My BIL and his then wife were running a dude stable. We were at their house, and when we wanted to leave for dinner, had to wait for a while. There were at least a dozen large elk grazing in the yard and the flower bed under the picture window in the living room. They were between us and the car, and there was no way I was going out there.

MM

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Awww, meeses! I love the 'just try a little' bit. Kids.

I have seen moose, meese, whatever. They're amazing. Amoosing. Ameesing. They're so large, and so gangly.

I always look for antlers, when in moose-infested territory, after I found out they're just shed, like hair or whatnot, each year. Never found any; still looking but they seem to be exceedingly rare around here.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
After reading Gary Paulsen, I'd be extra-extra careful around moose... but a nice story.

(And now I'll be stuck thinking of the Rifftrax short The Tale of Moose Baby all day... thanks a lot... ;) )

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Aw! That's so sweet, blacbird! What a nice lift in the day! Thank you for sharing.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
After reading Gary Paulsen, I'd be extra-extra careful around moose...

Moose are big, strong, unpredictable animals. We've had two people killed by moose right in town in the 25 years I've lived here.

Worse, though, is the danger from hitting one while in a vehicle. We had two of those fatalities this very winter, within a day of one another. One was in a car, the other a motorcyclist. Moose are extraordinarily oblivious to vehicular traffic, and will dash out of woods, where they can't possibly be seen, right into the path of oncoming traffic. They are tall, and if you undercut the legs of one, you have half-a-ton of live meat coming directly through your windshield. I personally have clipped two of them, fortunately just a sideswipe. One took my side mirror off the car, the other left just a scrape on the edge of the front bumper, but both were scary and close calls.

But I also see them with regularity, both in my yard, and while walking on woodland trails nearby. You do have to be alert for them here, but they don't generally charge from any significant distance. Just don't try to pet 'em.

caw

Justin K

Registered
Reaction score
if you undercut the legs of one, you have half-a-ton of live meat coming directly through your windshield.

caw

After researching likely scenarios for accidents up north, I landed on this for how my MC wrecks his car. The pictures on google images are terrifying, and I would not drive fast in moose country.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score