Do you have a much older sister?

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a scene where a little girl (six), sneaks into her older (teenage) sister's room to look at/play with... something. I'm trying to figure out what that something should be.

When I was young, I would sneak into my brother's room to read his collection of Boy's Life magazines (I loved the comics). However, he was only three years older than me, so our reading levels weren't too far apart.

So with the larger age gap, what's something that a teenager might have that would: 1) appeal to a little girl. 2) Appeal to her male friend of the same age? (They sneak in together so she can show him the cool... whatever it is).

I'm thinking makeup right now, since what kid, male or female, doesn't like smearing stuff on their face? But I thought I'd get some real-life suggestions from people who have actually been in that situation. What did your older sister have that was awesome, but she never let you play with?

Last edited:

heza

Registered
Reaction score
We had a seven-year difference.

Makeup, definitely. I don't know how many times I caught hell for getting into her makeup.

Jewelry, her "grown up" shoes, her clothes, her hair stuff.

When we got a little older, it was her sports stuff. We didn't have sports when I was a kid, at least not until you got into upper middle grade or high school (if we did, it wasn't stuff you needed much "grown up" gear for), so I was always fascinated with her gear, especially her basket ball (I had a kid-sized one, but hers was regulation) and her pom-poms from cheerleading.

Her boom box and cassettes (totally dating myself). Her books.

I think one of the problems using my experience, even if I fit the description, is that back when I was a kid, we had way less access to things that kids of the same age have today. I mean, I know six year olds with iPads who are in more league sports in any given year than I've played in my entire life... but if your six year old isn't give access to basically everything, then almost anything in a teenager's room will be fascinating, from nylons to three-year-old issues of Seventeen magazine, you know?

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
I think one of the problems using my experience, even if I fit the description, is that back when I was a kid, we had way less access to things that kids of the same age have today. I mean, I know six year olds with iPads who are in more league sports in any given year than I've played in my entire life... but if your six year old isn't give access to basically everything, then almost anything in a teenager's room will be fascinating, from nylons to three-year-old issues of Seventeen magazine, you know?

Timeline wise, this is set roughly in the mid to late 80's (mostly because some of the plot issues could be immediately solved by cell phones, which wouldn't be any fun), so dated is no problem.

This is great stuff!

Anonymouse

Registered
Reaction score
I'm the older sister. . . I had an animal clock on the wall that she was fascinated by. She was 4 when she broke it by "making it tick"

Also, we only had one Gameboy, and it lived in my room.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
No but there is a 12 year gap between my grand daughter Isabel and her brother Zekie. No siblings in between so they only interact with each other and I had a chance to observe Zekie sneak into his big sister's room many times while staying with them. He was not supposed to be there because of his dabbling in her make up. He made several messes and ruined a comforter. Isabel was told to keep her stuff out of his reach because, even crawling, he could slip into her room. An only child until she was a 7th grader, she left things out all over her room, bright tempting things, like nail polish and I-phones. The battle was over her right to privacy. She could not understand why a ten month old baby did not get punished while she did. It was a sticky situation. I believe in hand spanking and scolding a baby who has achieved mobility. My son in law and daughter did not--that is until the comforter mess. Zeke had to do some serious cat burgling to get into the nail polish and make up that ruined the beloved white fuzzy comforter. That was when the rules changed. He had a spanking and was told to stay out of Bella's room or ELSE.

I was there this spring and Zekie is walking, running really. He also has a good idea of the rules but he cannot stay away. He's good. As his babysitter, I have to say he is very, very good at stealth. He knows to stay away from the nail polish. If I catch him in there, he will show me the nail polish and makeup and tell me, very sternly, that it is a No! (Yeah, Zeke, painting walls and beds with nail polish is my problem.)
Now it is books, he has ripped one textbook and perfume. He tries to replace the bottles but never gets them right because Bella sets traps for him. And what two year old smells like a French Hoor? (My father's description of over the top perfume use) Oh, and he usually leaves evidence at the crime scene--a hot wheels car, mushy Goldfish crackers in the bed and recently Spiderman with a bra over his head! --s6

Last edited:

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on the sister; what kinds of things would she have/value?

Art/craft supplies, or a project in process. Collectibles - cards or figurines, etc. Special knicknacks - music box, nesting dolls, puzzle box. Musical instrument. Camera.

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
My big sister used to keep me out of her bedroom, and because of it, I always thought there was some great exciting mystery inside. One day my pet snake got loose and went into her room. She screamed at me to get it out. To my surprise, there were no toys inside her room! Only Michael Jackson posters, which didn't hold a candle to my My Little Pony decor. And her make up? Didn't beat a box of chalk or Crayolas. Her room was sooo boring.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, no, I have an older brother, but apparently too much older. We're 20 years apart, so he was away at college by the time I was born.

Hmm. He had a guitar I would steal whenever I got the chance. That might appeal to both a young girl and boy.

Or any kind of musical instrument. I also like the art supplies or camera ideas.

Last edited:

CindyGirl

Registered
Reaction score
My younger sisters came into my rooms to try on my clothes and shoes. My youngest sister stole my favorite bra, before she had a reason to need a bra.

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I was immediately thinking makeup before you even mentioned it. Diaries are also a big draw if the younger child can read.

Cabbit

Registered
Reaction score
My sister is six years older than me. Her room/stuff was never really off limits, but I always wanted to do whatever she was doing. I read her Sweet Valley Twins books. She had a notebook with style/hair/makeup guides that I would borrow and a giant eyeshadow palette with every color imagineable. I borrowed her hair banana clips and scrunchies. I would whine to take a turn on the Commodore 64 or the Atari (ooh, I'm dating myself here, aren't I?) I also used to play with her little porcelain dolls and get in trouble for smearing chocolate on them.
It's not really related, but I didn't like going into her room because she plastered her wall with posters and magazine clippings of the New Kids on the Block and Michael Jay Fox. I felt like they were all staring at me.

Greene

Registered
Reaction score
I am eight years younger than my sister. (We are best friends now, but things went... somewhat less smoothly for a while.)

I was insatiably curious and a very precocious reader, so I was driving her crazy by getting into all her journals and notebooks by the age of 5 or 6. I also stole her shirts to use as nightgowns (her clothes were so cool,​ of course, because she was a teenager), and once ate her Chapstick. Yes. I actually consumed it. In my defense, it smelled like candy.

It is an absolute miracle she didn't kill me. :tongue

startraveller

Registered
Reaction score
There's nearly a 15 year gap between me and my eldest sister. We didn't live in the same house so I never snuck into her room, but whenever I was able to visit I was always interested in her jewelry, cassettes and CDs. She also had an impressive collection of Disney VHS tapes. She cheered, so I always played with her pom-poms too. My sister was really accommodating though, and there wasn't much she didn't share with me when I asked - she always passed on pots of body glitter and scrunchies.

I did live with my brother (13 year difference) and that was mostly pestering him to do magic tricks, trying to convince him to give me the stuffed tigers he got from the circus, and playing with his larger set of POGS when he was at work. He also had this really cool white electric guitar he hardly played, so I took all of his picks. My other sister (10 years) had a canopy bed I would sit under when she wasn't home, I think I may have also stolen some of her barrettes.

As an alternative, my older female cousin had a really neat art set that I coveted, and my next door neighbor had a talking princess board game she eventually handed down to me.

Last edited:

cat_named_easter

Registered
Reaction score
It used to be CDs/cassette tapes for me. Me and my best friend would sneak my sister's tapes to listen to on repeat. Basically because we were too young to have our own money or be able to go anywhere to buy our own. I also weirdly used to be obsessed with my sister's collection of Garfield books...

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much everyone! This is exactly what I needed. :)

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had a much older sister but the era was earlier. We were like night and day. She had a closet full of prom dresses. By the time I got to high school, I not only never went to prom, I skipped my graduation. She had a dozen pointy toed shoes that were all the same except they were different colors. I never wore anything but bare feet or tennis shoes. She used this horrid smelling depilatory on her legs instead of shaving, I never shaved. It was a mirror of the generation gap.

Needless to say, we are not close.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Remembered something else. Once my older cousin was babysitting us. Her boyfriend was over, they were laughing at some picture in her school text book. She showed us a picture of someone with elephantiasis and said that's what they'd been looking at but I'm sure it had been a sexual pic. Could be the older sister has some sex ed materials.

vsrenard

Watching the Whales
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanithasankaran.com
I'm the older sister, and she and I were very alike in our tastes at the time. She stole my 'prized' Avon lip glass, snuck in to my room to use my desktop behemoth computer that I had bought with my own money an built myself, "borrowed" books I wouldn't let her use because she wasn't careful with them, and would sit in my room and use the record player I got for my 16th when I was away. We are very close now. We weren't then. :)

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
My daughters are 7 years apart. The younger used to sneak into her sister's room and mess with her clothes. To this day, there are still shirts and pants that one has, that she swears she doesn't have, that the other one swears she stole. Shoes, too. When the younger one was very small, the elder sister's shoes looked like dress-up shoes, and were pilfered and treated exactly that way. Sometimes only one ever re-appeared.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I was 14 when my little brother was born. In the 80's. I remember I had a prism up that I hung in the window. He used to sneak in and look at it. (rainbows!) He even stole it once and tried to tell me it accidentally fell into his laundry basket in his room. (God kids suck at lying.)

I'd say makeup too is a good one. He did get into my $120 Estee Lauder makeup set once when he was 5. He said he wanted to look like a mummy?

Last edited:

Laurasaurus

Registered
Reaction score
Makeup, clothes, music. And, I'm afraid, a join-the-dots sex positions book she had been given as a joke present by someone. I loved showing my friends that.

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
My sister is 11.5 years older than me and we shared a room until I was 7. I would say the thing that I was most fascinated with was her bras. And I got in trouble for it too, because my mom found one after my sister moved out and thought one of my brothers was sneaking around with a girl because I denied anything to do with it (truth came out eventually). One memorable moment was that I ate a whole bag of Hershey's kisses that belonged to her, because she was old enough to have a job and buy candy that I couldn't as a little kid.