• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Editing] Jodie Lee Wetherup

straightshooter

Registered
Reaction score
formally - 3 Sides publishing - Jodi Lee - OK, here's my question. I have been drowning in bad contracts and now have the opportunity to sign on with 3 sides. It appears that Jodi was in the publishing side for the past 5 years (mostly ebooks) and changed hats to agent in January of this year. There is no negative information out there - anywhere that I can find. I'm ready to sign on the dotted line. Anyone with any knowledge of this agent - please talk to me!!!

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Is there any positive information?

A good agent has sold books you've heard of.

For more discussion, read this article:

http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/004772.html

Please notice that only one of the four categories is an active scammer -- but only one of the four will do you any good.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Looks it. Here's the agency info.

http://www.sacredtriskele.net/3sides/index.html

Got burned out on being a publisher and switched to helping a friend get published. Probably has some ins with the many small/micro presses of the genre, but I doubt she'd be able to approach anywhere requiring agented submissions anytime soon.

straightshooter

Registered
Reaction score
Yes that's the website.

I've read it over many times. I'm a rookie - unknown - the only contracts I've been offered are from vanity presses. She has closed submission entries until September - doesn't ask for upfront fees - covers most expenses and has established some contacts over the years. I am going forth as the guinea pig - I think... probably.... will report to everyone. Not mailing contracts til tomorrow. Any more feedback?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
straightshooter said:
I've read it over many times. I'm a rookie - unknown - the only contracts I've been offered are from vanity presses. She has closed submission entries until September - doesn't ask for upfront fees - covers most expenses and has established some contacts over the years. I am going forth as the guinea pig - I think... probably.... will report to everyone. Not mailing contracts til tomorrow. Any more feedback?
{setvalue:subtlety=low} This agent has little chance of placing you anywhere that would sell more than a couple hundred copies. If that's all you want for your book, best of luck. If you have greater aspirations, keep looking.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Straightshooter, it's not enough for an agent not to be a verified scammer. An agent must be proven good enough for you to consider being represented by that agent. This one isn't.

Have enough respect for yourself and your work not to jump at wanna-be agents just because you think that's the best you can do. If you can't get a good agent with the work you have, then write a better book. There are no shortcuts to success in writing.

Fingers crossed for you.

straightshooter

Registered
Reaction score
Proverbial tail between legs.

Writing has been a hobby for me and was never about lots of money - just a chance to get out there.... but this stuff is turning out better than I ever thought it would. You guys are right. Nothing of value will be lost in waiting and learning. Thanks for all your helpful feedback. Now I need to push my luck with the group one last time and ask about a New Zealand (moving to california)- Publishing company. I will begin a new thread for the benefit of my fellow rookies - who will soon be asking about this new publisher coming to a theater near you !!!

Last edited:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
RobCurtis said:
Oops. Not good. You should never ever ever ever ever pay anything at all to get your book into print. Not unless you want to, of course, but if you do, make sure your eyes are W-I-D-E open.
Most agents do expect clients to bear some of the expense of submission--postage, photocopying, FedEx, long distance phone calls, and the like. They let these costs accrue and deduct them from your advance, or, less typically (and less desirably), bill them after they're incurred.

You shouldn't have to pay any submissions costs upfront, though, nor should the costs you're expected to bear include pointless extras (such as a photo of you to send to publishers) or normal business overhead (stationary, travel, general office expense).

- Victoria

straightshooter

Registered
Reaction score
I was offered a contract - but refrained because the only form of contact was email. It took her weeks to respond to questions, so we parted after she informed me that her phone and office situation was not yet on line. She would be moving her establishment to the US soon - thus making real live person contact possible. If I decided to go with her at that time - I was welcome. Last month - I contacted her again and asked if she had moved yet? Her response - " it is not necessary to be in the US to be a good agent and she was tired of the implication." She was not accepting any new MS's at this time. She is still not available and apparently (based on the above information )- full of s**t.

zizban

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.chippewapublishing.com
Even in this age, you can do a lot of things via email and cellphone but agenting takes of a lot of face to face meetings and personal contacts. In other words, you don't have to be in the US to be a good agent but it makes it much, more, much diificult.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Marked in Red is defunct, but Jodi Lee still provides freelance editing, etc.

JL_Benet

writer/teacher
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlbenet.com
It looks like the editing is part-time, with limited slots available.
Marked-LeeLite Update

28 December 2011
One of the full packages I’d posted at a discount for the holiday season has been booked, so I’ve now discounted the second one down to $325 as well.

This package is for a project that would start at the beginning of March, and run through to the end of April.
If you’re interested, please use the contact form to get in touch.
http://jodilee.sacredtriskele.net/?p=1755

The previous post mentioned there was:
Marked-LeeLite Full Package Super Sale!
8 December 2011
One of the two spots that I have available for full packages (January to April) is now available at 25% off!
A full package includes: substantive edit to 85k words*, follow-up proof*, format for self-pub or submission, full wrap cover, 2 banner ads and a trailer.
Individually these items would total $620, but I offer the full package at $500, and the spot available is discounted a further 25% for the holiday season. So, a $620 value for $375!
The other package remains at 10% off, a $620 value for $450.
Book both spots (a combined value of $1240 at a price of $825) and I’ll deduct a further 10% -for a total price of $742!
ALL bookings require a 50% deposit at the time of purchase. Prior to relinquishing completed project, an invoice will be sent for the remaining 50%.
Please use the contact form if you are interested – these would make great gifts for the writer in your family…
Offer ends December 31st, 2011.
* Word counts over 85k will have an additional charge of $1.00/page.
http://jodilee.sacredtriskele.net/?p=1669