PDA

View Full Version : Sounds like a cheesy novel plot, but it ain't

blacbird
06-08-2016, 08:43 AM
https://www.yahoo.com/news/can-a-talking-parrot-be-a-murder-witness-173622295.html?nhp=1

caw

RightHoJeeves
06-08-2016, 08:54 AM
Haha it sounds like if PG Wodehouse wrote a murder mystery. I love it.

rugcat
06-08-2016, 10:36 AM
I believe the parrot. Those African Grays are so smart they're frightening.

blacbird
06-08-2016, 10:54 AM

Ah, them dumb seedcrackers got nothin' on corvids.

caw

Albedo
06-08-2016, 01:04 PM
The twist is, it was the parrot wot done it.

Albedo
06-08-2016, 01:07 PM
Ah, them dumb seedcrackers got nothin' on corvids.

caw

And if a crow did it, it'd be smart enough not to blab.

ironmikezero
06-08-2016, 10:14 PM
Just wait for the second act, when the stool pigeon comes forward in search of a reward . . .

oneblindmouse
06-08-2016, 10:55 PM
Polly wants a cracker or it'll spill the beans!

jjdebenedictis
06-08-2016, 11:52 PM

YES, THIS. Some of them not only pick up phrases, they figure out how to use them correctly. True story: A friend of mine worked in a vet's office. One client had brought in their African Gray to have its talons trimmed, and this proved to be fairly terrifying and traumatic experience for the bird, the vet, and my friend, who was helping the vet keep the bird under control during the procedure.

The next time the client brought the bird in, his cage was under a sheet, but the bird was talking. The bird kept repeating, "Where are we?" until the owner said, "Shh, we're at the vet." "Are we at the vet?" asked the bird. "Yes, we're at the vet," said the owner.

Then the bird peeked out from under the sheet on its cage. The first person it saw was my friend. "Oh, shit," said the bird.

MaryMumsy
06-09-2016, 12:37 AM
Some years ago I saw a documentary about an African Grey at the U of Arizona. It could differentiate colors, shapes, sizes, material, and I don't remember what all else. It was amazing.

MM

Dennis E. Taylor
06-09-2016, 02:00 AM
They're smarter than my dog.

... but then, so is a button. :Shrug:

JeniferTidwell
06-09-2016, 02:09 AM
Some years ago I saw a documentary about an African Grey at the U of Arizona. It could differentiate colors, shapes, sizes, material, and I don't remember what all else. It was amazing.
MM

That would be the famous Alex, trained by Irene Pepperberg. Just an incredible bird. I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but I did meet Irene, and she's a gem as well.

I grew up with parrots in my household, and I have two now. We just adopted Hope, a 15-year-old rescue Eclectus with a few "issues." One issue is aggression. When she gets it into her head that a bookshelf or under-furniture space is HER NESTBOX, she will defend it by biting any hand or toe that dares to come near, and let me tell you, she hurts when she bites. So the only way to remove her is with heavy leather gloves and a large towel. I removed her this way once from a bookshelf. She hated every second of being wrapped up like a birdie burrito.

The next day, she claimed the bookshelf again, with the same aggression. I brought out the towel and gloves and showed them to her. Immediately, her aggressive posture relaxed. She looked up at me and meekly walked out to my hand.

Parrots learn fast.

noirdood
06-09-2016, 02:20 AM
Back in the Nifty 1950s, newspapers loved to run articles that told about a "silent witness" to a murder and explain in detail the (usually crummy) place where the crime happened. A silent witness might be a dog or a cat. One editor drew the line when a reporter wrote about a silent witness to a murder -- a goldfish. Whatever fish see, they are not telling...I'll give you a fin for every one that is a blabbermouth, even the Large Mouth Bass or the Viola.

blacbird
06-09-2016, 11:51 AM
This parrot will hire an attorney, and it will be a vulture.

caw

Flannel
06-15-2016, 12:55 PM
This was literally a plot point in the first Phoenix Wright game.

taraesque
06-23-2016, 09:06 PM
I feel like I need to add a parrot to my next story now....

TellMeAStory
06-24-2016, 05:45 PM
Or to read a new one, try Kill All Cats by Bylina. It's a talking cockatiel, but still...

rickbylina
06-25-2016, 02:40 AM
Or to read a new one, try Kill All Cats by Bylina. It's a talking cockatiel, but still...

Not only is there a talking cockatiel (okay, he mimics what he hears), but this cozy mystery with an edge was written without the verbs 'was' and 'were,' and is still a great read.