How can the police determine which way a window was broken in?

ironpony

Registered
Reaction score
In a crime scene investigation, can the police determine which way a window was broken into, from the inside compared to the outside?

If so, how would they determine this ascertainment?

Thank you for the input. I really appreciate it.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I agree, in most shows I've seen they always refer to which way the broken glass lies.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
What the others said: if the glass is on the inside, the blow that broke it was from the outside, pushing in. If the glass is lying on the outside, the blow was from the inside, pushing out. So, if someone is trying to fake a burglary, and stands in the kitchen and knocks out a glass pane on the door, the glass lying outside the door is a giveaway that the 'burglar' was not outside, breaking in.
(If it's a really big window, a little glass might fall back into the room, but this wouldn't equal the amount being pushed out.)

ironpony

Registered
Reaction score
Okay thanks. It's so obvious now and I didn't think of it that way lol. I thought maybe if you hit the window, it could likely shatter with glass on both sides. But yes the character is trying to fake a burglary so I can write that way. Thanks.

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Okay thanks. It's so obvious now and I didn't think of it that way lol. I thought maybe if you hit the window, it could likely shatter with glass on both sides. But yes the character is trying to fake a burglary so I can write that way. Thanks.

What do you want the audience to think about the character? Because smashing the window from the wrong side is a fairly basic error.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
This is true. I'm no criminal, nor have I have locked the keys on the wrong side of the door. I learned this stuff watching 'Forensic Files' and other true crime on TV. (A goldmine of information, turns out law enforcement people like to describe how they caught people, even if it takes them years.)

ironpony

Registered
Reaction score
Okay thanks. Well in my story, I want the investigators to be fooled the entire time. They end up catching the villain later, but not for the staged burglary particularly, so the villain will probably have to break the window, the right way, in order to fool them and then the police are forced to catch him on something else later.

ironpony

Registered
Reaction score
Okay thanks, I'll write it like then. Thanks.