PDA

View Full Version : River Monsters

CapnJack
06-03-2016, 07:40 PM
Does anyone else here watch this awesome show?

- - - Updated - - -

And if so, what's your favorite River Monster?

jimmymc
06-03-2016, 08:46 PM
I watch it and all the reruns. It's a good show... considering all the garbage on TV these days.

Favorite is probably the series on the Amazon. Biologists don't know all the dangerous critters swimming in that chocolate water.

CapnJack
06-03-2016, 08:51 PM
I think it's a good rule of thumb, that if you happen to be in an area where Jeremy is fishing, it's probably not a good idea to go swimming there.

aleighrose
06-03-2016, 11:43 PM
I love the show. I don't have a TV, so I buy the episodes through Amazon. I really like the current season probably because I'm more interested in marine wildlife than freshwater wildlife. (I haven't seen the latest episode yet, though, because Amazon takes its dear, sweet time in releasing the videos.) I thought the oarfish in the season premier was pretty amazing. It's a beautiful fish, and I can certainly see how people would think it's a sea serpent.

Friendly Frog
06-05-2016, 03:42 PM
I love River Monsters. I learned of so many impressive fish I didn't even know ever existed. The Congo giant tigerfish still boggles the mind. Those teeth were unlike anything I have ever seen on a fish!

I also really like the way Jeremy Wade goes out of his way to keep his catches safe until release.

Luzoni
06-06-2016, 08:20 PM
River Monsters is awesome! I don't watch it with any dedication but they're almost always addictively watchable. My younger sister had a huge crush on Jeremy Wade and briefly decided she wanted to be an angler. That was fun. She never caught anything but we had fun bullshitting as we cast from shore. "FISH ON! Fish On!"

My favorite is a bit hazy to me now as it must be an older episode but it was some river in Africa that had a few sightings of fish that were like deep sea fish, blind and whatnot. But the river wasn't all that vast or deep that anyone knew of, though it was remote and fairly unexplored. So JW goes in to investigate and discovers that sections of this river are absurdly deep, enough that blind fish made sense. It was just bizarre because the river was smaller than like the Mississippi and tons of other rivers and yet...super deep in pockets. Blew my mind.

veinglory
06-06-2016, 08:41 PM
I rather enjoyed it until I saw the episode on NZ eels and realized how ridiculously overblown and inaccurate it was. He was acting like freshwater eels were like wild dragons. Yes eels can be quite large in remote areas but they simple are not dangerous to any able bodied person.

Friendly Frog
06-09-2016, 01:57 AM
They're not? Well, that's a bummer (well, not for the people there, obviously) but I was kind of enjoying the lack of 'look at this murderous killing machine!' vibe this show had compared to other programmes that can feature sharks and other watery predators. Disappointing to learn that dispite that I'm still not getting an accurate idea of predatory fish.

Ravioli
06-09-2016, 02:25 AM
I loved the one that left the huge burn marks. Terrifying!