PDA

View Full Version : Discussion of Outline and Character Tracking Software

Gilroy Cullen
06-03-2016, 05:00 PM
I wasn't sure if this was the right forum for this or not, so if not, Mods, please move as necessary.

So with Scrivner, yWriter and a few other software packages out there, I'm sure this won't do much for some people. BUT I know there are some of us that still use the standard Word or WordPerfect software and we don't have the optimum keep everything in one file type set up.

As such, I've started poking into some different ideas of better organization of this information. I've seen hints about OneNote, EverNote, or just more separate files (which is what I do now.) Has anyone used any of this or does anyone have suggestions for better data control when dealing with things like character sheets, outlines, setting details, et al?

beckyhammer
06-06-2016, 03:14 AM
I've found that Evernote is useful for keeping track of lots of different bits of information about your characters, timeline, setting details, etc. You can paste images into it easily and the notes can be sorted into folders/categories. Best of all, it syncs across devices, so if you make a note on your phone while you're out and about, you'll see it the next time you open the program on your computer.

Raven484
06-22-2016, 04:57 PM
I use writeitnow 5, great outline tool and place to put everything you need for your story. Timelines are created after you make events that happen in your story. You can add events to chapter and scene outlines you make. Character development sheets are outstanding. I got it on sale for $40 and consider it one of the best tools for me. I used Scrivener before, but this program is much better. The character relationship trees are also very helpful, they break down every character in relationship to your main.