Where can I find the “market information” for my manuscript?

Gladys1990

Registered
Reaction score
Hi agents! I'm Gladys and new in this awesome writer website. :hooray:

I don't know if my humble question fit in this sub-forum, but if not please somebody relocate it where it belongs, thank you in advance!

Well, one literary agent wants me to answer few questions about my unpublished books

Since the publication of a book has to be profitable according to one literary agent, she asks me who will be my buyers, what kind of reader, what ages, any estimate on the market, book sales statistics, book revenues, horror market trend, etc. How can I track those book sales?

I am searching online, but I can not find such websites. Where they are? Where is the “Box Office Mojo” for books or best-sellers (books)?

To find out information about some religious horror (or inspirational) books is not that simple, right? :Shrug:
I have to contact the publishing house of those books/films? Are they cooperative to release such info?

I found something about comic book sales statistics at http://www.statisticbrain.com/comic-book-statistics/, but for my type of novels I need something else.

My 2 books are in the genres of Inspirational Apocalyptic fiction and Christian Horror. You know, something like “What Dreams May Come” and “Megiddo”. Maybe also around “The Seventh Sign”.

Any help will be welcomed.

Gladys

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It might be different in your genre or something, but generally successful agent interactions go like this: "Ooh, I like this. Sign here."

Someone who is asking you for marketing information evidently doesn't have enough experience to eyeball it themselves. I'd go elsewhere.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Marketing info is not an auto-red flag for me. But are they specifically asking for revenues? Obviously you can't know that. Generally what they are asking for is an idea of your readership and similar titles.

L. OBrien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingradically.wordpress.com
I don't have personal experience with agents, so take this with a grain of salt, but I *think* that usually stating your target demographic and providing a few comparison titles is usually what they're looking for. I've never heard of someone being asked to provide the exact sales figures and market trends of their comparison titles. If you aren't sure how to find what the agent wants, I don't think that it would hurt to ask them to clarify where you should be looking.

Gladys1990

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Angry Guy!

Thank you for your reply. I think you are right, so right.

Gladys

It might be different in your genre or something, but generally successful agent interactions go like this: "Ooh, I like this. Sign here."

Someone who is asking you for marketing information evidently doesn't have enough experience to eyeball it themselves. I'd go elsewhere.

Gladys1990

Registered
Reaction score
Of course, obviously I do not know that. It is something so hard to find.

I thank you for reply to my question.

Gladys

Marketing info is not an auto-red flag for me. But are they specifically asking for revenues? Obviously you can't know that. Generally what they are asking for is an idea of your readership and similar titles.

Gladys1990

Registered
Reaction score
Hello L. OBrien)))

Thank you so much for respond to my thread.
I already have some comparison titles to my original 3. I have 7 in total.

But, by the way, I hate to ask, but how I research my target demographic?

Gladys

I don't have personal experience with agents, so take this with a grain of salt, but I *think* that usually stating your target demographic and providing a few comparison titles is usually what they're looking for. I've never heard of someone being asked to provide the exact sales figures and market trends of their comparison titles. If you aren't sure how to find what the agent wants, I don't think that it would hurt to ask them to clarify where you should be looking.

Luzoni

Toddler wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Gladys, I'm going to second Angry Guy. My now Ex-agent asked me for "comparison titles" and other such info before I signed with her. This may be common in the industry, I don't know, but since I only have my current experience to go on, I'd say be cautious. If the agent is asking you for these things she could be like my ex agent who was amateurish and, when we finally did part ways, behaved really unprofessionally... As in she did things without my consent like withdrawing my book from a publisher who'd accepted it and refusing to give me the publisher contact info.

I think an agent in the know (a good agent) will already have the info this one is asking you for and won't ask you to provide it. Remember that no agent is better than a bad one. Good luck!

Gladys1990

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Luzoni,

Thank you for your reply. When I was reading my eyes opened since what you say is basically the same is happening to me ;)
And, yes! The agent should know or have that information already since this is her profession.
I will be so cautious with her, believe me.

If I were her, I already should know those numbers.

Sending hugs to you, Luzoni!
:snoopy:

Gladys

Gladys, I'm going to second Angry Guy. My now Ex-agent asked me for "comparison titles" and other such info before I signed with her. This may be common in the industry, I don't know, but since I only have my current experience to go on, I'd say be cautious. If the agent is asking you for these things she could be like my ex agent who was amateurish and, when we finally did part ways, behaved really unprofessionally... As in she did things without my consent like withdrawing my book from a publisher who'd accepted it and refusing to give me the publisher contact info.

I think an agent in the know (a good agent) will already have the info this one is asking you for and won't ask you to provide it. Remember that no agent is better than a bad one. Good luck!