~Handwrite everything~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natasya

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone here still handwrite your short stories, poems, script, novels, etc at all?

I still handwrite my work but only for it's first draft because when I type it on the computer I usually review it and add or delete more but everything has to be handwritten first. It takes me ages and my wrist usually hurt so I'm trying to change. It's a bad habit ... I guess. At least I have to handwrite the first few chapters or tiny chapters before continuing it on the compie.

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
I was *just* talking to someone about this the other day! Here's what I wrote:

While computers really do offer a lot of time saving convenience, I feel the art of actual writing has been lost, so I have notebooks:

• a notebook (those spiral bound single subject notebooks you can get really cheap at Wal-Mart during their back to school sales) for brainstorming
  • a small Ampad project organizer for "on the go" outlining, notetaking and idea organizing (it's small enough to fit in a backpack, but large enough not to get lost). I love the way the paper is broken up into sections so I can make notes easier and revisit old ideas without feeling like I'm messing up the page.
  • a coil-top Ampad writing pad -- this is easier for me to write out outlines and rough drafts with because I'm left handed and, when writing lengthy material, the coil in a traditional notebook or binder gets in the way . . . and I won't want to finish. This notebook is perfect because not only does the coil stay out of the way, but the cardboard backing is hard enough for me to write in the car with or anywhere else a desk/table isn't available
I keep a paper journal, too, for off the computer ramblings and other ideas.
smile.gif

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to handwrite a lot, though not all, because that way, my brain has time to think before the words must be on the page. Also, the physical act of writing helps jog my brain so that the words that come out are often better.

Handwriting isn't a "bad habit," as you say. Different writers need to do things in different ways. If your wrist hurts, you might try writing on different surfaces, etc. Is the table on which you write the correct height for you? Are you trying to write with nothing to support your notebook? If so, one of those laptop desk things might help (basically a cushion on the bottom, with a hard surface on top.) Experiment to find what works best for you, but don't give up writing by hand just because you have a computer available.

As far as the time taken to type it in, you're editing as you go. It's a job that needs to be done no matter what form your first draft takes, and many writers (myself included) type the second draft out in total just as we did the first, so you won't be saving any effor that way...

rich

If I had to hand write everything I don't think I could be a writer. I hand write poems. Prose gets inputted then I rewrite both from hard copy and screen.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I might jot notes down on paper, but I prefer to type my rough drafts. My hand gets tired and the tip of my middle finger hurts from the pen if I handwrite a lot. Besides, the story comes out faster when I type than when I try to handwrite all of it. Plus it gets difficult to read some of my own handwriting.

allen

Annabella5780

Registered
Reaction score
I handwrite my poetry and notes, but I do the actual writing on the computer because the pace of typing is almost the pace of the ideas and words going through my mind. Plus, I'd hate to have to stop writing because my hand cramps up.

Natasya

Registered
Reaction score
I like that idea Jennhollowell. I always carry a big notebook with me, a long one or usually with a smaller bag - a smaller notebook. I have many notebooks but that idea of the organiser is pretty cool. It's nice to keep track of old ideas and compare it to the new. I'm getting that tomorrow! I'm a pretty disorganised person so all my notes are in a jumble.

The only advantage to typing is that it's faster and doesn't hurt the wrist if you get overexcited with writing. I think what makes my wrist hurt is that I have a habit on pressing on the paper more when I start getting sucked in to my own story. Never hurts when I write poems. I think more and have some time to rest my poor wrist nerve. But the computer is BAD for the eyes! I'm young but my vision is already blurry. Computers fault I must say! I write essays and do lots of research on the computer. Need some remedy for that *grin*

I still love handwriting things though...

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
I like that idea Jennhollowell. I always carry a big notebook with me, a long one or usually with a smaller bag - a smaller notebook. I have many notebooks but that idea of the organiser is pretty cool. It's nice to keep track of old ideas and compare it to the new. I'm getting that tomorrow! I'm a pretty disorganised person so all my notes are in a jumble.
Yay! Here's a link to the one I have:

Gold Fibre Project Planner (says Organizer on the notebook, but Planner on the site)
20_817.gif

:)

AOD23

Resident Hoplite
Registered
Reaction score
The only thing I really handwrite is story idea's when they come to me, I have a notebook that I write down the main idea's of any story idea's I get, this way I can keep it organized and keep track of them all, figure this way when I have writers block for one story, I can switch to a new idea until I finish it or get writers back and then go back and forth like that. Tends to help me get rid' of that.

But I generally type up the actual stories, partly because my handwritting is horrible, partly because handwritting tends to hurt my hand, and partly because I can type a helluva lot faster than I can write, I can type almost as fast as I can think, so it tends to make the writting go alot faster.

General Joy

general soothsayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cassandrazaruba.net
I handwrite everything. All my novels have been written on paper first... I don't think I could do it any other way. I can write easier, and I can transport my work, which I could not do if I only typed it (I don't have a laptop).

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Since the advent of online billpay, I don't even handwrite checks any more. I use a pencil for grocery lists. Otherwise I haven't had a pen in my hand to REALLY write fiction since 1984.

That was the year I took a college English course and they introduced us to computers and forced us to use them for our assignments despite my rather loud and obnoxious rants about how "word processing" is like "food processing." You throw things together and call it edible.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
What Mr. Ferret said.

I do jot notes, and an occasional poem, but handwriting cramps my wrist and little finger. I even used a typewriter in High School whenever possible. I can write a page or two, but after that my writing gets illegible because my hand hurts.
Funny, cause I can sketch, draw, paint, or chop (veggies) for hours, no problem.

Natasya

Registered
Reaction score
jennhollowell said:
Yay! Here's a link to the one I have:

Gold Fibre Project Planner (says Organizer on the notebook, but Planner on the site)
20_817.gif

:)

Awww that's really sweet of you! Looks like a nice book but I don't think you can get them outside the USA...I'll try and look for one though or similar. Oh if only I own a credit card *smile*

oh yes as one of you lovely people replied on this thread...notebooks are PORTABLE...wayyy more portable than laptops. No bloody battery needed, no plug. It's always nice to write everywhere and plus you get more pretty words out when you're on a green endless hill with winds blowing under your hear and your hair dancing with each other...

rich

My fear has always been that I write a book and have to go on book signings. As much as my handwriting sucks I would not be able to sign many because my hand will tire, and even the first book signed would be illegible. In business I had secretaries who needed a month or so to decipher my scribbling.

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on circumstances. I'll handwrite if I'm on vacation or at the beach or something like that. Yesterday I wrote a column for this week in the middle of a very boring training class for work. Benefit: I looked like I was taking notes on the "safety first" video. Now my managers think I'm very safe. But I missed the part about running with scissors... Can anyone fill me in?

BottomlessCup

Getting settled
Registered
Reaction score
I handwrite everything.

Nothing in this world holds more potential than a fresh, white notebook.

I like the physicality of it - the ink on the page, the coffee stain on he back cover, the smudge on my pinkie. I like seeing them on my bookshelf, feeling their weight in my backpack.

From an improve-your-writing standpoint, transfering it to a computer provides a sort of "half step draft."

As for brand, I prefer Mead's Five Star notebooks - steno size. I loathe fancy pens. You can't write quickly with them. For a serious, divine-inspiration jag, nothing beats a cheapo Bic medium-point. Black, of course.

special needs

Resident Airhead
Registered
Reaction score
I type because I can type wayyyyy faster than I can write. Plus, it doesn't hurt my hand so much and I don't have to retype it when I'm done.

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
I write every first draft long hand in a Hilroy 5-subject coil notebook (I like the weight and size of it) then edit as I transpose it on to the computer. It gives me the freedom to write whenever and wherever I like. I don't have to worry about low batteries, losing anything I don't save, or a short circuit. My only worry is if I run out of ink.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
It's always nice to write everywhere and plus you get more pretty words out when you're on a green endless hill with winds blowing under your hear and your hair dancing with each other...

This is always a big plus for me...

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
When you figure it out, will you let me know?
Cat Scratch said:
Depends on circumstances. I'll handwrite if I'm on vacation or at the beach or something like that. Yesterday I wrote a column for this week in the middle of a very boring training class for work. Benefit: I looked like I was taking notes on the "safety first" video. Now my managers think I'm very safe. But I missed the part about running with scissors... Can anyone fill me in?
When you run, point the scissors towards your body. That way you don't hurt anyone when you fall.

luxintenebrae

Registered
Reaction score
Maddwriter said:
It gives me the freedom to write whenever and wherever I like. I don't have to worry about low batteries, losing anything I don't save, or a short circuit. My only worry is if I run out of ink.

This is a big bonus for me as computers continually try - and sometimes succeed - to wipe out something I've written. I always vow to write more in notebooks, but that never lasts long. I still jot things down all the time (filling several notebooks), any random thoughts I have or bits of dialogue here and there, but that's it. Any more than 2 pages and I get lazy and start abbrieviating the words. Typing it out is just so much quicker, and I like to see the words and paragraphs on the page as they really would be. Though it doesn't really matter, it gives me a better sense of length as well.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote my first novel in six spiral bound black notebooks. I love a blank notebook...it seems so full of promise. I've written 3 since then (or tried) but I wrote them directly to my laptop and they're missing something. I may have to go back to handwriting them first. One of my biggest problems is that I get ahead of myself when I'm typing and skip descriptions and such in my hurry to get the story out. I don't do that when I'm writing it by hand.

I'm very picky though...it must be a black 1 subject spiral notebook and UniBall Vision Elite pens in blue-black. Otherwise...forget it.

Status
Not open for further replies.