Where is a place to get stabbed that won't kill a person but land them in the hospital?

Kinzel

Registered
Reaction score
Title pretty much says it all. What type of blade, and where in the body, could a stabbing put a person's life at risk and land them in the hospital yet still allow them to live in the end? And what type of damage would be done, and what measures would have to be taken to keep them alive?

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Right flank, nicking the liver. Lots of blood, fair risk of death without quick treatment, but survivable. I'd have to check my notes, but the liver would be either stitched or possibly resected, depending on the damage. Blood and fluid replacement.

How/why are they being stabbed? An experienced knife guy or street fighter is going to be able to make a surprising number of cuts in a disturbingly short period of time. Someone trying to defend themselves with a weapon of opportunity would be less likely to make a bunch of wounds, but would still probably make more than one.

Kinzel

Registered
Reaction score
Right flank, nicking the liver. Lots of blood, fair risk of death without quick treatment, but survivable. I'd have to check my notes, but the liver would be either stitched or possibly resected, depending on the damage. Blood and fluid replacement.

How/why are they being stabbed? An experienced knife guy or street fighter is going to be able to make a surprising number of cuts in a disturbingly short period of time. Someone trying to defend themselves with a weapon of opportunity would be less likely to make a bunch of wounds, but would still probably make more than one.

It's kind of like a warning if that makes sense. I just imagined one stab wound but I suppose there could be more.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

You can die just from bleeding to death, so even a wound to the thigh could do it.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Actually, I can picture one good stab for a warning. Might do a slice across the belly. That would be very painful, screw up the muscle easily if it's deep enough, and require a bunch of stitches.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lower abdomen is nasty but often non-fatal, deep lacerations might require a brief stay, severing major arteries or a windpipe could put you in more jeopardy. You can live through any stabbing, if the doctors are good, you don't mind reduced functions and you're really lucky. What do you need for your story?

Jeff

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
I agree with Cmhbob, a slash makes sense to me as a warning to back off. A good slash could need doctor's attention for stitches and whatnot, so an Emergency room trip would be needed.
If they have to stay in the hospital for some reason, then it could be any wound that's more serious, including nicking a vein which leads to blood loss. Easy to stitch up, but would be kept at least overnight for the blood loss, I would imagine.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, traditional warnings would include a digit being severed, ear removed, lip or nose cut or, my favorite, a knife stabbed through the hand. :)

Jeff

Anonymouse

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't suggest the thigh, actually. There is a fairly non-significant chance of hitting the femoral artery, which can result in bleeding out.

A slash deep enough to require surgery would land a person in the hospital for a bit. Generally people don't mess around with hand/arm wounds.

Lower abdomen would probably require a fair bit of recovery time before the person is able to hobble around.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Anywhere, as long as it avoids damaging major arteries and major organs. Even if a major organ or artery is damaged, if they receive prompt medical attention they can still survive. How much time the person has depends on exactly where they got stabbed. The more important the artery, the quicker they'll bleed to death. Being stabbed in the heart is even worse. Being stabbed in the lungs would result in severe bleeding and a collapsed lung or two (two collapsed lungs = just minutes to live without major medical intervention). Being stabbed in the head will likely result in brain damage and death, however, people have survived and gone on to lead fairly normal lives after things like this.

If you get stabbed in the torso by something blunt, like falling on a metal pole that doesn't have a pointy end, then there's more chance of it passing through the torso between the organs and not actually piercing any organs, leaving to someone surviving an accident that you think they'd have no chance at all of surviving. It's a bizarre phenomenon but has actually happened. Sharp objects however just cut right into organs/arteries, therefore your chances of surviving are much less. The sharper the thing inside you is the more damage it's going to do.

People can survive limbs being amputated if it's done with something that's not that sharp, or through a tearing/searing motion rather than a clean cut. In this circumstance, the muscles of the arterial wall contract and prevent the person bleeding to death. If it's from something sharp like a shark bite or a sharp blade then this doesn't happen and the person bleeds to death. You'd be surprised how much injury humans can potentially survive without medical intervention - although it's dicey as the wrong bacteria getting into what seems to be a fairly minor wound can kill you pretty quickly.

Just to echo what's already been said - a stab wound to the thigh can potentially be fatal pretty quickly if the femoral artery is severed. Medical intervention can prevent death. Similarly, a stab wound to the arm can be fatal if it severs the brachial artery.

The most plausible one for story purposes is a stab wound to the arm, leg, butt or lower abdomen where it misses the artery. Maybe have a doctor comment that it's a good job the stab wound didn't hit the artery or something. If it's the lower abdomen, they'd need medical intervention to repair the damage to the gut or they'll risk a slow and unpleasant death from peritonitis or some other nasty consequence of a damaged gut. Stab wounds to the thorax risk punctured lungs, wounds to the heart or any of the major arteries/veins close to the heart (I haven't mentioned veins but a stab wound to the vena cava (the main vein that goes to the heart) would result in bleeding to death without medical attention) and while most scenarios are those that could still be fixed by a skilled surgeon, if you want the character up and about reasonably quickly I'd stick to the arms, legs or butt, and the knife missing the arteries.

- - - Updated - - -

The butt.

As long as you miss the femoral artery - it's harder to hit this in the butt, especially if it's a fairly ample butt, than in the thigh.