Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Last edited:

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'd consider a more truncated title (I think less can be more) . . .

Short Story Prompts That Work: 52 Proven Examples

CindyGirl

Registered
Reaction score
It is a bit long. I don't think you need detailed or tested. If something is guided, that means to me they should be detailed and tested. I'm not sure that you need for adults and teens either. I would only specify age if it were for teens or younger. Best of luck!

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My comments in blue:

"Story Prompts That Work: 52 Guided, Detailed, Tested Prompts for Short Stories (or Flash Fiction)- With Examples. For Adults or Teens."

1) I'm not sure if using both "guided" and "detailed" is good or too much. How are they guided? Will the writers interact with you in some way? If the guidance is given in the text, is not so much guidance as prescription? Given the variety of directions any writing prompt can go, I'm really intrigued on how you do this. Who has tested them? The title implies that you are a workshop leader (which you might very well be) and have used this approach with many writers (which you might have). Just be sure the words you use mean something specific and can be backed up.

2) I'm not sure if "for adults and teens" should be there. I thought it might expand my market to make it clear that the prompts will work for teenagers, too. But who knows if it might actually turn adults off by coming across as too "kiddie." I don't think it's necessary to include the "adults or teens" verbiage.

3) I have "or" twice in the sub-title. Maybe one of them should be changed to "and," but "or" seems more accurate. Removing part of the subtitle will take care of this

4) I'm not sure about "or flash fiction." However, flash fiction is kinda my thing and without it, I'm not sure people would think it's also for flash fiction. How about ". . .Prompts for Short Fiction"?

5) Also, as far as the main title, from my study of the competition, I find that many of the prompts are just simple one-liners, so I'm trying to make mine stand out by letting them know that it's more than that. A lot of the others are things like "1,000 prompts" so I want to make it clear that mine is not less just because it's only 52, that the prompts are more detailed and such. But I'm not sure if that makes it stand out or not Hmmm, I see more what you're getting at now. How about "Making the Most of Story Prompts" with a subtitle? Or "Getting from Prompt to Story: 52 Exercises to Develop Short Fiction." Something along those lines.

Thoughts?

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
Stealing from Chris P:

Prescription Prompts, a Guide to Targeted Short Fiction

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious who tested your prompts or how they were tested and what that even means. I know you've published yourself, but "tested" implies that others have gone through and been successful with your prompts. Maybe they have. Also, if flash fiction is your thing and these prompts were designed with flash fiction in mind, I would use that in the title. I think that the idea of going through 52 writing prompts is a lot. I did W1/S1's weekly challenge for a year, but I wasn't writing flash and it was a ton of work. I'm just thinking that if you say it's for flash fiction in the title, it might seem less intimidating and more inviting. When you started the thread about writing a short story every day in May, I thought there was no way I could do something like that. I really didn't see how anyone could. If I had known (my fault for not looking into more) the prompts were designed for flash fiction, I think I would have tried it.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Just saw this thread Fruitbat. I agree you need something shorter and snappier. I'd also try to make it sound like fun. I'm wondering if you order the words Flash-Short Story you can work in the flash (flair) angle at the same time.
52 Flash & Short Story Prompts and How to Use Them ??

Oh, and I wanna buy this book :)

Status
Not open for further replies.