em and en dashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

mesh138

Registered
Reaction score
I've finished my novel with single hypens, only to learn that when submitting a novel I am supposed to make em and en dashes. So, I'm going to go through and replace everything. Only question now is when to use an em and en dash. All the stuff I've found online is kind of confusing. Is it best to just select all the "-"s and replace them with "--" in microsoft word?

Deleted member 42

En dashes are mostly used in number ranges, for instance in dates or pages.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
dashes

Word should be set to turn a double hyphen into an en em dash automatically. It comes defaulted this way.

If you type two hyphens between words with a space on either side, Word automatically turns this into a en dash. If you type two hyphens between words without a space on either side, Word automatically turns it into an em dash.

mesh138

Registered
Reaction score
how about....

how about when a hypen is used to rbeak up text, for example

"And that one time- well, we didn't make it."

em dash? or single hypen?

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
mesh138 said:
I've finished my novel with single hypens, only to learn that when submitting a novel I am supposed to make em and en dashes. So, I'm going to go through and replace everything. Only question now is when to use an em and en dash. All the stuff I've found online is kind of confusing. Is it best to just select all the "-"s and replace them with "--" in microsoft word?

If you do that, you'll get a lot of double dashes you don't want, and you'll still have to go through the ms and delete some of them, because some should be single. Still, deleting will probably be less work than adding.

punstress

Registered
Reaction score
space or no space?

mesh138 said:
how about when a hypen is used to rbeak up text, for example

"And that one time- well, we didn't make it."

em dash? or single hypen?

Definitely em dash, but not spaced like that.

With AP style, you put a space on both sides of the dash. I would guess it's because, in newspapers, you don't want words breaking up strangely, for example:

As for that one time—inter-

estingly, we didn't make it.

I use AP style in my work, but I'm aware that other stylebooks run them all together (probably because a prof'l typesetter will make sure the above doesn't happen).

But I'm not aware of a style that would have a space only on one side, as in your example. Anybody else seen that?

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
punstress said:
I'm not aware of a style that would have a space only on one side, as in your example. Anybody else seen that?
I hope not. The only exception is the em dash that introduces a list whose elements end the sentence.

Good reasons to go to bed early include–
• Escaping dishwashing duty.
• Getting a head start on the night's dreams.
• The joy of watching the six o'clock news in your pajamas.

jchines

Got the hang of it, here
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimchines.com
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for this thread. One more bit of punctuation figured out, more or less. And well-timed, too! (I spent the day proofing an anthology manuscript.)

Status
Not open for further replies.