How do you wake up?

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I mean, what are your first thoughts or mood when you open your eyes in the morning? Is it like, "Yippee! I'm blessed with another day on earth," or "What the hell. This zhit again?" or just kinda neutral, like, "I wonder if there's any pancake mix left," or what? I realize this is a strange thing to wonder but wonder I do.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Usually it's along the lines of "Gotta pee! But I'm too comfy ... but I gotta pee." Repeat for ~5 minutes until the bladder wins.

L. OBrien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingradically.wordpress.com
Usually "What time is it?" followed by either, "Oh shit, I have to be up twenty minutes ago," or "I can probably sneak in a few extra minutes of sleep." If everyone else is up and I hear people talking in the house, add "Is this a conversation I want to join," and "Am I wearing pants?"

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I usually have a concise, but heated negotiation with myself that if I get up and do what I'm supposed to, I could get everyone off to work and school and then crawl back into bed, but that is a retreat I actually perform only about three times a year.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
My sordid confession: I am a Zippadee-Doodah person. I love mornings so much that I irritate the bejeezuss out of everyone else in the world. Can't tell you how many times I've been told to shut up and go away at 6 a.m. I usually don't use an alarm, the one I have is just a blinking light--no noise. Usually the first birdsong is enough to wake me.

I love the birds and the flowers first thing on a summer morning, the sound of sifting snow and the tea kettle on a winter morning, even if I am short on sleep. I hate to linger in bed, never have seen the point of breakfast in bed. Now that I am 65+ I do take a p.m. nap. When I was a toddler I was such an early riser that my mother painted my yellow bedroom gloomy blue because she thought the walls were waking me up. My parents and sibs are deep sleepers, not morning people. I am a sport!

I wake up hungry. Breakfast is my favorite meal. Coffee tastes nasty, only have had two cups in my life. I prefer tea. On our first week of married life, the late Mr. Shakey and i were living in an old farm house in the country--windmill for water, lots of cows across the road mooing away. I loved it. Mr. Shakey, having been raised on Long Island, hated it. He actually used to stand on the porch and curse at the cows!

I was making these huge breakfasts-- cereal, fruit, muffins, poached eggs, bacon. About the fourth morning of this, Mr. Shakey said "You are going to have to stop putting all of this shit on the table. It makes me nauseous to look at it. And stop smiling! It's not normal! You are ruining my mornings." He was a grouchy little bastard well into the afternoon. --s6

Last edited:

Adniel Lenal

Figuring Out Opinions and My Way
Registered
Reaction score
My thoughts usually go along the line of more time to do stuff. I ulook forward to waking up and rarely do I wish to stay in bed (Unless I trully absolutely need the rest.) Its only by the time I'm actually at my workplace do I start questioning why I woke up for this. :ROFL:

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
"No, no, no, no! That dream's not finished yet, I need to see the ending!" *pulls covers over face, tries to guess what happens next in the dream* (Never works as intended)... 10min later, "What was that dream about, again? Oh, well, fully awake anyway." *pouts* "Got to get up and do things, boo!"...

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
"I'm going back to sleep."

"I need to pee but I'm all warm and comfy here."

"Waking up in the afternoon isn't so bad."

"It's how late?"

"The sun went down. Well. Shit."

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Six out of seven mornings, construction noise at 7 am. So much fun.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think shakeysix and I were separated at birth.

I'm a morning person, too. Either the birds or the first rays of sun wake me, unless the day before was long/trying. 8 AM is up late for me. And I can't wait for my first cup of tea. I drink it as I check my email and FB and AW.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I could figure out how to be a morning person.

I wish I could figure out how to get to sleep before 4am.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I've been in virtually all of those modes, at various points in my life. For a while, I was regularly getting up at around 4.30am, and I loved it - the quiet house, the darkness slowly becoming light, all that free time before civilised society started making demands on my time... Lately, I've been getting up at more like 8am or 9am, often in a "I want more sleep!" mind-frame. Yesterday I woke up at 4am for some unknown reason, and it was like being back at that earlier stage - I was happy to be awake at that time. This morning, I got up just before 7am, and I've been less enthused.

The last several mornings, however, I've woken up in a cold sweat and somewhat anxious. Not sure if it's the weather, or my dreams, but yeah. Fortunately, the anxiety doesn't last that long. Or rather, it goes away temporarily when I start doing things.

I've also had points in my life where I would wake up past noon, thinking, "Damn, I want more sleep!"

Last edited:

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I usually have a concise, but heated negotiation with myself that if I get up and do what I'm supposed to, I could get everyone off to work and school and then crawl back into bed, but that is a retreat I actually perform only about three times a year.
I do the same thing basically. I tell myself I can go back to sleep after I make kiddo's lunch and drive him to school. It never happens, and I even remind myself it won't happen, yet the thought of it both bolsters and consoles me. How weird is this? Maybe I just need the "I can if I want to" rebel thoughts for motivation.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Lately, on weekdays, it's "Damn, I've got so much to do today." And then I have a hot flash.

Bleh.

On weekends, it's "Ah, I can sleep in a little." And then I go back to sleep, smiling.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I wake up mostly early (6:15 or so) but slowly. I like to hit the snooze a few times.

I used to be a night person but I had a job that turned me into a morning person. I'd get up, head in & get to the city before 8:00 and watch the city wake up. I really liked it. (The year before I worked at a nightclub in the winter. I'd wake up in the afternoon - and then a few hours later it was dark... from that to up at 6:00. That was a big turnaround.)

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'm not a morning person, so on days when I can sleep as late as I like, I sleep waaaaay too late (like teenager who is addicted to MMORPGs in another time zone late). I finally crawl out of bed still foggy brained and un-refreshed when I realize that I could sleep the clock around and probably still feel tired (I have a hard time falling asleep at night, but once I'm asleep, I could do it forever). I then experience a sense of extreme guilt and annoyance over the things I need to do that I now have less time for.

Then I make coffee, get some food, and sit in front of the computer to check e-mail, forums, social media etc., and before I know it another hour or two is gone forever.

On the days when I do have to get up (and no matter how I arrange my schedule, the world requires it once or twice a week at least), my clock radio goes off, and I have that moment of "Noooo, it's a mistake. It's too early," before that sick realization that I do have to get up kicks in. Coffee helps, but I still hate having to get up early (and for me these days, "early" is any time before 10:30. Normal getting up time for most people feels like the middle of the night).

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
I love waking up. I'll stay up late and take naps when I can so I can do it twice. That's when I write. Extra bonus points if I've been dreaming something nifty I can use as a story starter. I quite often use them later if I'm working on something else.