Someone I know now has the craziest story I've ever heard.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
My ex-brother-in-law is now the proud owner of possibly the craziest goddamn thing I've ever heard. (Although, it may take some time before he can get good mileage out of the retelling of it. He'll have to get over the trauma first.)

C is a DJ. Three weeks ago he was working a fundraiser party that was held at the top of a big office building up in the Washington, DC area. The party wound down a bit after 11pm and C began to pack up his kit to leave. The guests dispersed and C loaded up the first trip to the garage. He called the elevator. When the doors opened, there was a woman already in there. They rode down to the garage in silence. The woman remained onboard and C got out with his handtruck and loaded his stuff into the trunk. He went back to the elevator, called the car, and when the doors opened, the same woman was still in the elevator. They rode to the top in silence. (Remember, this is getting on midnight in an essentially empty office building on a Saturday night.) C got out and gathered up the last few of his things. He called the elevator to leave for good.

As you might have guessed by now, the woman was still in the elevator.

C got on and as they descended he, by now feeling awkwardly familiar with this thrice-present stranger without any comfortable reason to go all the way to "friendly", broke the ice. "So, are you just riding the elevator tonight?"

The woman replied without inflection, "Yes. So I can kill you."

Then she stabbed him in the left side of his neck with a five inch knife.

C jumped back from her, arms raised. He knew there was a problem. Knew even that there was pain, but in that first instant, he didn't know what the hell was going on or even where in his body the pain was exactly. Helpfully, the woman stepped in and clarified the emergency by plunging the knife in under C's left armpit. (At some point he was also stabbed in the left forearm, but he has no idea when that happened. His left lung and left external carotid were miss by a frighteningly small margin.)

C, as it happens, is a blackbelt in Tae Kwon Do. After an eternity of a couple of seconds, his training came back online and he got right on with kicking her ass.

They, apparently, were making a hell of a racket coming down to the garage, careening off the walls of the elevator and screaming at each other, so that by the time the doors opened in the basement, security was already running up (as was the town's mayor, one of the party stragglers still in the garage.) As the doors opened, the woman started calling out, "He's trying to rape me!" C, at this point, had pulled her shirt up over her face (apparently, a self-defense technique to subdue and disorient an attacker) and had pinned her against the elevator wall. Of course, this looked terrible for him.

The mayor gawped and the security guard tried shouting my ex-brother-in-law off the woman. C yelled back, "I'm not letting her go until you get some help over here." The scene came into focus for everyone and C's injuries were distracting from the woman's claim to victimhood. When they peeled them apart, she started wailing, "They fired me, but they should have fired you!" Then she dove for the cement floor and tried to swallow a bottle cap discarded there.

It turns out that the woman had worked in the building and had been recently fired from her job. Whether it was a drug-induced psychosis or a sober psychotic break, we don't know. My ex-brother-in-law is recuperating from his injuries. The woman spent a little time in the psych ward and was denied bond and I guess we'll see what happens from here.

What's funny is that the book I'm writing now has two main characters who each has an incredible story of near-miss survival under bizarre circumstances. Their separate traumas have been integrated into their worldview and, if I write it right, should show up in how they handle the action of the story I'm inventing for them. It's weird to know someone who now, whenever the party conversation turns to crazy shit that happens on Planet Earth, will have an untoppable tale. Truly nuts.

Last edited:

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
ain't life great? ... The voices speak to us in SO many ways ...

Yikes!!!

Hope c recovers well and can ride in elevators without fear again someday.

There a book segment for you ...

"How come you always take the stairs, C ?

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Wow. Truth is sometimes stranger than fiction.

C is lucky he didn't get shot. Also probably "lucky" that she'd actually managed to stab him, or it might have been harder to prove he was the victim.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
It's so crazy. I don't know how he's going to turn his back to strangers. You know, just stand in line or in an anonymous group. It's the nuttiest thing I've ever heard.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
There's also an interesting male/female dynamic mapped out in this story. It if had been a woman taking stuff down to the garage and a man already in the elevator, most women I know would not have gotten back on the second time.

I've never not gotten on an elevator because there was a lone man on it. But if I got out and he didn't, and then he was still there when I wanted to ride back up, there's a pretty strong chance I would have pretended to need something from my car. If I did get on the second time, there's no way in hell I'd get on a third.

But a healthy, six foot tall man isn't conditioned to have any fear of a 5' 6" female stranger, even under bizarre circumstances.

I do also wonder if she would have done anything if he hadn't spoken to her? There's no way to know what was going through her mind in the moment. She was already armed, either in preparation to attack or in a paranoid state, primed to defend herself. But somehow her trigger got pulled. Was it an internal decision that she worked herself up to? Or when he spoke, did it snap her to action? I doubt we'll ever know, but it's both fascinating and terrifying.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's also, parenthetically, a lesson to those who consider themselves "prepared" for anything. Even a black belt doesn't make you superhuman. She stabbed him before he could react because she was already at medium to close distance. Weapons training doesn't help, a gun wouldn't have helped.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
ain't life great? ... The voices speak to us in SO many ways ...

Yikes!!!

Hope c recovers well and can ride in elevators without fear again someday.

There a book segment for you ...

"How come you always take the stairs, C ?

Great opening sentence. :)

Lousy for your ex BIL though. Hope he heals fast, Perks

Last edited:

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
That is crazy, Perks. Yeah, hope he heals fast.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Heck, I'm frozen just reading your post, Perks! Oh, my gosh. Best wishes he heals quickly with no problems. Wow.

When I read the part about the novel you're writing that's so similar I thought, "Meh. Nobody'd believe it!" :)

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
When I read the part about the novel you're writing that's so similar I thought, "Meh. Nobody'd believe it!" :)
I know. It's nuts. I think he must be reeling and it would be interesting to chronicle his metabolizing what has happened to him, but we don't have that kind of relationship.

Physically, he should be fine. Apparently the bruising around those kinds of wounds is hideous, though.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
It's also, parenthetically, a lesson to those who consider themselves "prepared" for anything. Even a black belt doesn't make you superhuman. She stabbed him before he could react because she was already at medium to close distance. Weapons training doesn't help, a gun wouldn't have helped.

Absolutely. It's one of the things he's mentally wrestling with, that all of his training should have done more. But it's too crazy. You can't hope to react like lightning when there was zero indication there was a problem.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Fascinating, if horrific.

Hope the ex-BIL recovers well, especially with the mental wrestling!

I'm still fascinated and that's one excellent opening line!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Holy crap! When I read that first post, at first I was assuming some sort of psychosis - but I had assumed that the woman was about to do something hysterical, rather than violent.

Good luck to his healing. :)

*stays out of elevators for at least a month*

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that's some story. Truth is stranger than fiction sometimes.

I wonder if he'll have a cooling-off period before he feels comfortable on an elevator again, or maybe just anywhere if there's only one other person present.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
At first I thought we were gonna find out she was a ghost. Crazy story. Hope he heals quickly, both physically and mentally.

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that sure is something. Sounds like a scene out of a movie. Here's to a speedy recovery for your ex brother-in-law.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Holy scrap, that is unbelievable. I'm glad C is okay and wish him best on his recovery physically and mentally.

JeniferTidwell

Birdie wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
First of all, yikes! What a terrifying situation. I hope and pray that your BIL heals fast, both physically and emotionally.

So true. I'm no black belt yet (maybe someday), but my senseis have repeatedly taught avoidance as the most important part of self-defense because of this very thing. Whoever makes the first move in a violent confrontation usually wins. More often than not, the victim doesn't even get a chance to fight back. I'm so glad that in this case, C. was able to fight back and prevent worse injuries!

That being said, part of weapons training is disarming someone who's in close range, like in this situation. In our dojo, they drill us on disarming techniques until it's all muscle memory -- you don't even think about it after a while. So in this case it probably saved his life, assuming you mean "weapons training" to include defending oneself against them. (I agree that if C. had had a gun, it would have been next to useless.)

JeniferTidwell

Birdie wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, Perks, do you mind if I send your story in an email to my sensei? He uses real-life stories like these as instructive examples.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Of course. I know that he somehow got the knife out of her hand, but I'm not sure that he even knows how it happened.
Actually, Perks, do you mind if I send your story in an email to my sensei? He uses real-life stories like these as instructive examples.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
So true. I'm no black belt yet (maybe someday), but my senseis have repeatedly taught avoidance as the most important part of self-defense because of this very thing. Whoever makes the first move in a violent confrontation usually wins. More often than not, the victim doesn't even get a chance to fight back. I'm so glad that in this case, C. was able to fight back and prevent worse injuries!

That being said, part of weapons training is disarming someone who's in close range, like in this situation. In our dojo, they drill us on disarming techniques until it's all muscle memory -- you don't even think about it after a while. So in this case it probably saved his life, assuming you mean "weapons training" to include defending oneself against them. (I agree that if C. had had a gun, it would have been next to useless.)

I am a black belt, and we do similar stuff - we even talk about "elevator scenarios" exactly like this. Of course no one knows how well their training will actually serve them until they are in that situation.

The main thing is if someone is close enough to stab you before you see the knife (or the threat), it's already too late. Unless you're Spider Man, you do not have the reflexes to stop it. Situational awareness is more important than technique.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
Wow Perks, that's totally insane. Glad he's recovering well though but whether male or female, that sort of situation would eff you up definitely. Hopefully he'll recover just as well mentally as physically. =/

One thing I was wondering was why she waited for the third time to do anything to him.. I mean, would she have assumed/known he needed to ride the elevator so many times? If she was so desperate why didn't she strike the first time?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
One thing I was wondering was why she waited for the third time to do anything to him.. I mean, would she have assumed/known he needed to ride the elevator so many times? If she was so desperate why didn't she strike the first time?

I don't know. I mentioned that upthread in one of my comments - would it have happened if he hadn't spoken to her? She didn't know him. She wasn't at the party. He wasn't a specific target. To me, it's the most mind-bending thing, the randomness of of it.