PDA

View Full Version : Print cover questions

Digiterium
05-21-2016, 02:38 PM
I'm creating a print cover for the first time and I've got a few questions. I'm using Createspace.

I've created my eBook cover at 1667x2500 pixels and 300 DPI.

On this page https://www.createspace.com/Help/Book/Artwork.do at createspace, you can configure and download a template to use. It gives you a few options, the first one being "Interior type", where you can choose "black and white" or "black and white with bleed" what's the difference between those two? The book I'm doing the cover for is a normal novel, no interior images, so does that mean I would choose the first option of "black and white" ?

Regarding the actual template. When I download and open it in photoshop, if I select just the front cover area (including the pink area) it is 1840 x 2776 pixels. Does that mean I can scale the template down, so its more in keeping with my already designed front cover (1667x2500 pixels) which is what I would ideally do as it means the resolution of my front cover stays the same, or do I have to scale up my own front cover to be the same as the template? which I would want to avoid as it means a slightly distorting of the pixels (which probably won't be visible but anyway) ? So in other words do I have to use that template size? Or can I submit a print cover with a front cover of roughly 1667x2500 ?

Lastly, on the templates front cover it has various size details, and "194.0 page" is that meant to be the number of pages? or refers to something else? because I put 200 pages into the createspace template builder.

Thanks for any advice.

Zombie Fraggle
05-22-2016, 03:05 AM
It gives you a few options, the first one being "Interior type", where you can choose "black and white" or "black and white with bleed" what's the difference between those two? The book I'm doing the cover for is a normal novel, no interior images, so does that mean I would choose the first option of "black and white" ?

Correct. If you’re doing a traditional fiction or nonfiction book with black text on white/cream paper, you do not want the bleed option. Interior bleed is for a book with illustrations or photographs when you want the images to extend ("bleed") off the the page so you don't have a white-space border around them.

So in other words do I have to use that template size? Or can I submit a print cover with a front cover of roughly 1667x2500 ?

I would never scale up. I make all my covers 2000 X 3000 pixels at 300 dpi to start with then re-size them down to fit the template to avoid degradation of definition and wonky stretching.

Lastly, on the templates front cover it has various size details, and "194.0 page" is that meant to be the number of pages? or refers to something else? because I put 200 pages into the createspace template builder.

Most of their templates cover a range of sizes (page numbers), which is only meant to accommodate the width of the book's spine. If you entered 200 pages for the length of your book and it spat out a template that says 194 pages, you'll be fine. Make sure you've chosen the color paper you want and stick with it, because cream paper is thicker than white paper, so a template for one won't work for the other.