Chinese Translation

Triangulos

Registered
Reaction score
I tried to post this on the "ESL Help & Other Languages SYW" area but got an error after putting in the forum password so hopefully someone here can help.

I need to have some dialogue translated into Chinese (Mandarin I presume; this is a distress call from some researchers doing field work in a dangerous location who have come under attack).

The dialogue is simply "Mayday!" (Or SOS or the Chinese equivalent) then "They bombed us!" or "They are bombing us".

(I'd try online translation but if the Chinese have a standard distress call like our "MayDay" it might not come out right).

Thanks!

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Exactly what are you after? Being blown to smithereens, total annihilation, bombed with survivors, targeted by fire/bombs, bombs are being dropped on the troops? Do you want to send back-up, or do you want to pull the troops out completely? Chinese is very precise here.

吸引火力,需要援助!
Xīyǐn huǒlì, xūyào yuánzhù!

Drawing fire [still alive], send back up!

OR

我们被炸毁,需要支援!
Wǒmen bèi zhà huǐ, xūyào yuánzhù

We were blown up [destroyed, nothing standing/resembling area!], rescue us!

OR
他们轰炸我们需要支援!Tāmen hōngzhà wǒmen! Xūyào yuánzhù!

They're bombing us (out) [
annihilating/disintegrating]! Rescue us!

SinoFyl

Registered
Reaction score
You write that the researchers are doing field work in a dangerous location, but not necessarily that they're in a combat situation or that they could've anticipated the possibility of being bombed. So while the sentences provided are correct and would be reasonable for soldiers to use in calling HQ for help -- they're rather formal, literal and rather long in a less military situation.

If someone is sending out a distress call in general, they'd simply say: "救命!" (jiu4ming4) ... basically, "Save my life!"

Last edited:

Triangulos

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Snitchcat and SinoFyl - both those answers are very helpful, and sorry it took ages to look back here and see your replies. In answer to those questions, the person making the call is a civilian who was travelling with soldiers for protection, but they just got killed. He's making the distress call in a blind panic, so won't be particularly formal in how he phrases it. A westerner would know to say "Mayday" so I was after the Chinese equivalent of that standard distress word (if there is one) followed by "They're bombing us!" From your replies it sounds like "Jiù Mìng! Tāmen hōngzhà wõmen!" is good. (Limited by iPhone accents - couldn't do tone 3 on "o", and hope I got the others right).
Thanks again.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Heya!

In a blind panic, SinoFyl is right: it'd just be "jiu ming! jiu ming!" (The doubled phrasing is particularly telling of panic or anxiety in Chinese.) I doubt the researchers would have the presence of mind to follow up with "they're bombing us!" unless they've had some sort of training / experience? If not, and if pressed, then it might be more realistic to say that their description would be a mess. Probably something along the lines of, "Zěnme zhīdào, ah?! Cchù yǒu zhàdàn! Jiù mìng, ah!" (How [the hell] should I know?! Bombs everywhere! Save me!")

Triangulos

Registered
Reaction score
That's exactly what I need, thanks for all replies.