Querying an Agent Multiple Times

Jessica_312

Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering about the protocol for querying an agent twice (or more) for different works. Generally speaking, if an agent passes on one of your novels, can you instantly query them with another? (With a whole new email/story/query, of course). Or is there an etiquette or "wait time" that should be considered before hitting "send"?

Thanks in advance!

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
From the blogs and Tweets I've read, I think you're better off waiting a while. It's not so that they can forget you (it's fine if they remember you queried before) but so they don't think you've got a lot of 'failed' manuscripts waiting in your drawer, that you've been unable to find rep for. I'd give it a couple of months, to at least give the impression you've been busy revising in the interval.

Beware I don't think that's established etiquette--just the impression I've got from my limited reading.

Good luck!

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would go with the "abundance of caution" approach. Wait a while. At least put him/her at the end of your second query list.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
I wouldn't. Standard advice is to query one (finished and polished) novel at a time. You certainly can work on another project while querying the first, and even use any feedback you get while querying to help polish that one.

dragonfliet

Registered
Reaction score
Definitely wait. The best advice is to query EVERYONE that you are going to query for the first work. And then go write your next work, and then go ahead and query again. Unless it's been less than 3-6 month, in which case you should wait a bit more until then.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I would probably wait a couple months. I wouldn't worry about waiting for too long, especially if it's an agent that took a long point from the initial query to final rejection.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
I'd wait, unless the agent said "I'd love to see the next one you write" which you would want to point out in your new query.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Query one novel at a time. I occasionally receive two queries for separate manuscripts from the same person at the same time — hasn’t worked out yet. As others have said, wait several months before querying with a new project. Two months feels okay.