Question about U.S. laws when it comes to terrorism.

ironpony

Registered
Reaction score
For my story, I was having some trouble coming up with a method for the villains to get caught by the police, since the police cannot legally record anything they do, or search any of their property, without violating their amendment rights, since I was told in my research that the police did not have enough on them to get court orders to do so. I was researching the legal scenarios further and one legal expert gave me his opinion, which was a new take on the law, and I was wondering if he was right on this or not.

In my story, there is a group of people who are have poor social skills because of their conditions while growing up. Conditions that would prohibit them from developing relationships with people and also romantic relationships of the opposite sex. This causes them to suffer from their involuntary celibacy, and they form a group of... I guess you could say serial rapist killers and going around getting revenge on people on society because of they are looked upon and treated as inferior, or at least inferior from their points of view.

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]However, the new person I asked said that legally, what the group is doing counts as terrorism, and the FBI can therefore, bypass fourth amendment rights when it comes to terrorism. The FBI can record conversations without needing enough evidence that you would to get a warrant, in other situations.

However is this true? I looked up terrorism laws such as The Patriot Act, but could not find fourth amendment's being the exception to the rule, when it comes to terrorism crimes. What do you think?

Thank you for all the legal advice, now and before. I really appreciate it.
[/FONT]

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure this would be terrorism, although it could be.

Anyway, let's talk about Tsarnaev, who is the Boston marathon bomber. He was captured after the police shot the shit out of him (justified by any standard) and immediately rushed to the hospital. Massive pain, medication, surgery, isolation. And the Feds determined that he was a terror suspect, and therefore, subject to questioning without being given his Miranda rights. The Feds questioned him for a couple of days before finally advising him of his right to counsel, at which point he shut up.

The Feds original argument is that because of the terror act provisions that these statements would be admissible at trial. As time went on, the US Attorney, while not saying that the statements were not admissible at trial, decided not to use the statements. Hence the issue of the admissibility of the statements was never contested.

This approach is consistent both pre- and post- the anti-terror act. Basically the Feds can wire tap our phones. (See the issues involving the NSA.) As long as the Feds don't use this in a trial against us, there is no consequence.

So the Feds can wiretap to their heart's content, but will not produce usable evidence at trial. Even with the expanded rights contained in the anti-terror act, the Feds don't seem to be pushing this stuff. They seem to be relying at trials on the evidence gained using normal procedures. Somewhat of an exception is the military commission, but even there limits seem to apply.

If you want to use the Patriot Act, I admire your willingness to do lots of research. I've looked into Title III of the Act involving money laundering (I believe there are ten titles to the Act.) and sunk a lot of time into it for my work in progress. You're looking at Title I, II, V, VII, and VIII. The Act is over 300 pages long.

Jim Clark-Dawe

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
To keep it simple, there is a difference between evidence and intelligence. Evidence is that which is considered (potentially) admissible in a court of law; procedures related thereto must conform to the applicable Rules of Evidence. Intelligence is any information, corroborated or otherwise, that may assist in any type of investigation, proactive protective planning, anticipated countermeasures, etc., and may or may not be subsequently used in a future court/tribunal proceeding. In short, if it's evidence follow the rules - if not . . . welcome to the intelligence game.

ironpony

Registered
Reaction score
Okay thanks for the input. Let's say that the FBI can listen in on their conversations with a parabolic microphone, and do not need wire tap orders to so do, cause it's considered terrorism. Let's say through listening in on the mic, they uncover where certain evidence is hidden that can implicate the gang in past crimes. Can the FBI get a warrant to search and seize that evidence and use it in court, or can they not, since they recorded the conversation without a wire tap order, and it would be fruit of the poisonous tree, therefore?

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Dude. This isn't terrorism.

Besides which, I thought the whole thing was about the local cops. Now you've got the FBI. Did you just decide to make the local cops FBI agents?

ironpony

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I mean if the plot makes more sense legal wise, for them to be FBI instead, than I can make them FBI, if this case would fall under their jurisdiction.

ironpony

Registered
Reaction score
Yep for sure. I was just told by a cop the FBI could use terrorism as a means of recording conversations without the regular evidence you would need to get court orders to do so. The reason they can use terrorism is because they are kidnapping and killing people, so it counts cause it's threatening the public, or that is what the cop said at least.

Last edited:

ironmikezero

Registered
Reaction score
You might be well advised to avoid trying to make your gang of deviants violate federal laws--especially federal terrorism laws just to get some sort of questionable evidence woven into your story. Everything you've so far described them doing constitutes violations of existing laws (mostly state, although there could arguably be some concurrent federal jurisdictional overlap). Even if the gang establishes a kidnapping/murder for hire business, it's still not terrorism--think racketeering or the equivalent. Now if you want to give them a world domination agenda and access to weapons of mass destruction--now you can reasonably play the terrorism card (but you'd better know the deck from which you deal).

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Serial rape will never amount to terrorism on its own. The FBI will get involved in serial rape cases, basically serial anything gets the FBI involved because few local agencies would have the ability to investigate, let alone profile. It's not a question of jurisdiction, it's a question of resources.

As for negating fourth amendment rights by calling it terrorism, there are a lot of legal community members who debate this. Until there is solid case law on admissibility this really isn't a clear area. So far, there aren't any prosecutors eager to push this to where it becomes a test case.

A major problem is the lack of adequate legal definitions of terrorism. Hate crimes took a long time to get defined by case law, terrorism may take even longer. And, at best, this serial rape scheme can elevate to a hate crime. If even that.

What do you need for your storyline?

Jeff

ironpony

Registered
Reaction score
Well basically the villain's crimes are all done in indoor settings, and they do it in masks, and gloves, leaving no evidence, and cleaning up the crime scenes, forensically.

I would like the police to be able to catch what they are doing indoors, by either recording the audio with a parabolic mic, or seeing it somehow. But the law says no court orders can be given to record conversations, unless there is prior evidence, which the police do not have, and they just have reasonable suspicion on two suspects. So I need to take things to the next level but not sure how since the law says that the police cannot enter a private residence or listen in on a conversation without more evidence, than just reasonable suspicion.

Plus the the gang already knows the police have suspects so they are no longer committing crimes against any victims and keeping a low profile. All they are pretty much doing is talking about the situation, and getting rid of any evidence that can implicate them. But the police cannot legally do anything before all the evidence will gotten rid of. That's my problem.

Last edited:

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
You're trying to take a short cut. As a defense attorney, I loved when the prosecutor or police took a short cut. My client got a dismissal and I looked good.

So the "crime" was only in a sealed room, which is completely cleaned afterwards. The victims magically appear in this room? Or are they snatched from somewhere?

Let's say you have five victims. How were they snatched? Based on what you're saying, the snatches occur in locations where the perpetrator can't be seen. So how is the perpetrator defining such a location? This is not as easy as you think. But the snatch locations are crime scenes, and can have lots of evidence. What are the geographic limits to the snatch locations? Are they within a hundred miles of each other? A thousand? Three thousand? Are they connected by highways? What do they have in common? What's different to each location? How many perpetrators were involved? Where did they park their car?

You say they wore masks. So where did they acquire the masks from? There aren't that many mask stores where I live, but maybe you're surrounded by big box mask stores. That just means you need to assign more officers. And if you bought the mask from Amazon, a search warrant is easily acquired and Amazon will tell the police everybody who bought a mask within XXX miles of the crime scenes.

By the time the police get done working all of this, and finding enough evidence to identify suspects, the police are probably going to have enough evidence to get a warrant for a surveillance operation. If the police suspect that the crime is occurring at X and is being done by the three stooges, how did they acquire that suspicion? You answer that question and you'll see the amount of evidence the police have to have.

Unless the police are throwing a dart and want to do a surveillance operation wherever it hits, and by coincidence, that's where the crime occurred, the police have evidence. If they don't have enough, they work to get more. They don't take short cuts.

Jim Clark-Dawe

Last edited:

ironpony

Registered
Reaction score
Okay thanks. Well the masks could have been made in several places, and the cops cannot tell what store a mask came from just by looking at them, especially if they are the traditional ski mask type mask, that is made by several companies? Or can they tell by looking?

Also even though the victims were snatched in places before, that was before, and the cops did not have anything to connect them to any of the suspects. The distance between all the places where they were snatched have nothing to do with each other?

How can the police determine who a kidnapper is, just because of how far away two locations were, where the victims were kidnapped from. If a kidnapper has a car with a phony plate that is untraceable, the kidnapper will not mind spending extra gas, to go to a further location.

But the kidnapper is going to smart enough to by the gas in gas cans, and then filling up the car later. Can the police get a warrant search everyone in a whole city, who gets his gas in gas cans?

I don't think that the distance between the locations is going to actually get the police to look at particular suspects, unless I am wrong?

Also as far as the sealed rooms go, the police do not know of any of the locations that the victims were held at. The victims were blindfolded the whole time, and the police never knew where they were. Now that the suspects have gotten off in court for lack of evidence, they know the police are watching them. So they will not commit anymore kidnappings, and the only way the police can catch them now, is by listening in to what is going on behind closed doors, or searching for evidence on their properties before they get rid of it. But the police not have any more kidnapping evidence to go by since they cannot get a warrant to get in to look for anything, now that there are two suspects.

Last edited:

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have any idea how the police investigate a crime? Unless the police catch someone in the act, then the police put together pieces of the jig saw puzzle that is the crime. You work piece by piece to develop the evidence. You keep saying there is NO evidence. That's wrong.

What you're trying to come up with the evidence that conclusively proves guilt. It rarely happens. You might want to read or watch THE FRENCH CONNECTION. Slow building of the evidence leading to a grand final scene.

Okay thanks. Well the masks could have been made in several places, and the cops cannot tell what store a mask came from just by looking at them, especially if they are the traditional ski mask type mask, that is made by several companies? Or can they tell by looking? How many places sell ski masks in the summer? If you went to stores, how long a list do you think you'd get? But let's go shopping in January. So you get 10,000 transactions from all the stores. Cool. You now have credit card numbers. Who are the repeat numbers? Or they're using cash. How many cash transactions for ski masks do you think there are? Most store transactions are visually recorded on the security system. You can match the video to the transaction.

Is this guaranteed to produce usable evidence? Maybe. Maybe not. But if you've got the manpower, why not check and see what you get? If nothing else, maybe you can reduce the suspect pool.

Also even though the victims were snatched in places before, that was before, and the cops did not have anything to connect them to any of the suspects. The distance between all the places where they were snatched have nothing to do with each other? How many people do you know that have been in multiple locals separated by a 1,000 miles in the past year? How much faith do you have to have in your car to do crimes where you need to travel a hundred miles? Location can give some more pieces. You look to MO and you try to connect. You connect the absolutelys, the probablys, the maybes, the not likely but let's not exclude them.

How can the police determine who a kidnapper is, just because of how far away two locations were, where the victims were kidnapped from. If a kidnapper has a car with a phony plate that is untraceable, the kidnapper will not mind spending extra gas, to go to a further location. But how much further? And that involves time. How much free time does this guy have? Are there toll booths in the area? Run a check to see what phony plates show up. That isn't available, try running traffic cams for phony plates.

But the kidnapper is going to smart enough to by the gas in gas cans, and then filling up the car later. Can the police get a warrant search everyone in a whole city, who gets his gas in gas cans?

I don't think that the distance between the locations is going to actually get the police to look at particular suspects, unless I am wrong? It's going to rule out suspects. Anything that helps narrow down the pool of suspects is important.

Also as far as the sealed rooms go, the police do not know of any of the locations that the victims were held at. The victims were blindfolded the whole time, and the police never knew where they were. Now that the suspects have gotten off in court for lack of evidence, they know the police are watching them. Okay, let's see if we can define something here. What do you mean that they get off for lack of evidence? First off, there had to be sufficient evidence for an arrest warrant. After the arrest warrant is issued, there are basically three options -- dismissed by prosecutor, dismissed by judge for lack of evidence (in other words, a piece of evidence could not be used), or not guilty by a jury. In all three cases, there's lots of evidence, just not enough, but more than enough to justify a search warrant.

So they will not commit anymore kidnappings, and the only way the police can catch them now, is by listening in to what is going on behind closed doors, or searching for evidence on their properties before they get rid of it. But the police not have any more kidnapping evidence to go by since they cannot get a warrant to get in to look for anything, now that there are two suspects. Okay, maybe I understand this now. Without jeopardy attaching, the case got dismissed. Bad guys have been scared straight (Please excuse me while I laugh. The chances of this happening with a sexual deviant is somewhere between a snowball in hell and less.) but have evidence they need to destroy. (Also extremely unlikely to happen.) So the police figure that if they can find this evidence, they can now get a guilty.

What is the basis for the police believing that the bad guys have evidence (probably souvenirs) that the bad guys are going to want to destroy? And somehow the destruction of this evidence is somewhat complicated. Without a reason for believing this, no one is going to watch them. But once you've got that, you've pretty much got a search warrant.

All you do is argue to the judge that these bad guys had the charges dismissed because of ???, that the police have developed information that the guys are going to destroy some evidence they have, and that the police believe that a wire tap will enable the police to identify where this evidence is.

Jim Clark-Dawe

ironpony

Registered
Reaction score
I also asked a cop about getting the credit car numbers to all the masks purchased over the years, but the cop told me that the police are not allowed to this cause it invades people's rights to privacy laws, and the police cannot go digging into every joe citizen's credit card accounts.

I already wrote that the police have been checking toll booths and things like that, but it it didn't get them a specific suspect. That's how I wrote it.

In my story what happens is, is that the police were not able to find enough connections between the locations, the cars, and the masks to narrow down a specific suspect, after a these crimes have been going on for months. It's kind of like in the movie M (1931), where the police were not able to get anything specific enough after several kidnappings.

One night a cop on patrol, gets a glimpse of some suspicious activity, he decides to watch, such as two guys search another guy for weapons or a wire, or doing that type of search. The cop decides to follow them very discretely in his unmarked car, not to far, to a secluded location near by. He cannot identify faces from his distance, but he sees they meet up with more men wearing masks and gloves.

It's a 'blood in', which is a term for when a gang gets a new member they are recruiting to spill the blood of another person in order to see if that person can be relied upon to be a fellow member. In this case the new member has to assault the new kidnap victim.

As the cop observes, he sees that an innocent kidnapped hostage is about to be likely harmed, so he intervenes, saves the kidnap victim, and manages to arrest one of the suspects, while the others get away in the process.

Unbeknownst to the investigators though, the hostage, was actually a fellow gang member posing a hostage, as part of the blood in. The member posing as a hostage, agreed to part of a staged assault, where she wouldn't really take much damage, since it was just a test to see if he could do it.

The reason the gang did this, was in case the new recruit may not have been an undercover cop or something, they did not want to be caught with a real kidnapped hostage, and can create deniability of a crime, should the blood in be a set up.

So when the cop, arrests one of them, and saves the hostage, the hostage then makes up the story, that she and the arrested suspect are actually friends, and they were playing a role playing.

They say that they went out drinking the night before, met the others, and then brought them back to her property for a role playing fantasy game. The police ask her who the other's are and why they ran, and she says that since she met them and brought them back after a night of drinking, she didn't get their names, and just brought them back to play. Why they ran, she doesn't know and assumes they must be wanted for something else, she says. She of course does not want to name the others.

She also reports a complaint towards the cop who rescued her, saying that he threatened her into testifying against her arrested friend, or he will make things bad for her in the future. Even though it's her word against the cops, she still wanted to complain anyway, just to save face to help her look innocent. The prosecutor, thinking that these two suspects could be part of the same gang, still tries to take it to a judge to see if there is anything more they can do, but a judge dismisses it on lack of evidence of a crime actually happening, aside from maybe mischief charges.

So there is not enough evidence to charge her or the other suspect, with any crimes, since it was just role playing, on her property, and there is no crime, and no victim of a crime. After the other gang members get away and escape, they gas down the car with the phony plate and burn it. The building that the cop also spotted the fake blood in in, was also owned by the woman, so it doesn't lead to any other suspects, other than her and the on guy.

Now I showed my story two people in law enforcement and they said that this is all reasonable suspicion that these people would be connected to that same gang, but since they committed no crime with no real victim to determine it, a judge cannot give out search warrants or wire tap orders to continue further in the case.

So since the two suspects know that they are now on the police's radar, they are not going to participate in any more criminal activity with the rest of the gang and are going to law low. The only thing they are going to do, is have conversations with the gang on what is happening, and where their progress is at. The cops need to record these conversations to get more, but legally cannot get wire tap orders to do so, I was told.

As far as evidence that the gang needs to make disappear, I am not sure yet. I was throwing it out there as an idea, for the cops to be able to acquire something they could use. The cops' basis for believing that there is evidence that is going to be destroyed would depend on where I go with the story from here, but not sure where to go, since I was told that the cops could not get warrants to record conversations to find out more. I was told by a cop that this is not enough to get legal warrants or wire tap orders to move further. If that is the case, then what?

I am also looking back in the case seeing if I can find any jigsaw puzzle pieces that will build towards a suspect particularly. When it comes to the masks for example, can the police actually check every citizen for who bought one, all around the city, or state even?

Last edited:

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Based upon what you're saying, the alleged victim is quickly believed by the police to be lying to them. Based upon that assumption, most likely the police will talk to her, get a statement from her in writing, confirm with her that she's telling them the truth (believing that she's lying to them but forming a basis for a subsequent charge), and send her on the way. This assumes that the dude they catch tells them basically the same story.

I'm assuming they don't believe the victim in part because of other crimes of a similar nature going on. There may be another reason. But it doesn't seem that this incident matches the crimes. The MO is significantly different. The crimes occur inside rooms, not outdoors. There's also a question of how they are cleaning the crime scene. Normally bleach is used to destroy DNA, and one thing that the police would be looking for is a substantial amount of bleach. Of course, it could be sitting in the trunk of a car.

The basic idea works here, but details in the process get you in trouble.

I also asked a cop about getting the credit car numbers to all the masks purchased over the years, but the cop told me that the police are not allowed to this cause it invades people's rights to privacy laws, and the police cannot go digging into every joe citizen's credit card accounts. Police cannot investigate individual transactions without a warrant. Stores can, and do, provide police with a list of transactions for a specific item that will include how they got paid for. Credit card number may appear and possibly names. A search warrant can be obtained for this information if the store doesn't want to turn it over. This list is meaningless until you have a suspect. But once you find a suspect, you can check their credit cards against the list. If you find their number on your list, it's some evidence that shows the suspect bought ski masks. Not much by itself, but it's a brick in the wall. Police can do an inventory of her purse or wallet and see what she has for credit cards.

I already wrote that the police have been checking toll booths and things like that, but it it didn't get them a specific suspect. That's how I wrote it. But now they have suspects, and they can check their vehicle registrations. Again, not enough to give you a lot, but another brick.

In my story what happens is, is that the police were not able to find enough connections between the locations, the cars, and the masks to narrow down a specific suspect, after a these crimes have been going on for months. It's kind of like in the movie M (1931), where the police were not able to get anything specific enough after several kidnappings. But now that they have suspects, you check again. You don't exclude them if they're not on your lists, but it's rare that you don't find them somewhere.

One night a cop on patrol, gets a glimpse of some suspicious activity, he decides to watch, such as two guys search another guy for weapons or a wire, or doing that type of search. The cop decides to follow them very discretely in his unmarked car, not to far, to a secluded location near by. He cannot identify faces from his distance, but he sees they meet up with more men wearing masks and gloves. But he's taking pictures. He's calling for back up. He's going to record car registrations. More and more data to work with.

It's a 'blood in', which is a term for when a gang gets a new member they are recruiting to spill the blood of another person in order to see if that person can be relied upon to be a fellow member. In this case the new member has to assault the new kidnap victim.

As the cop observes, he sees that an innocent kidnapped hostage is about to be likely harmed, so he intervenes, saves the kidnap victim, and manages to arrest one of the suspects, while the others get away in the process. A bit iffy without backup, but it's plausible. But the suspects that escape are going to be telling us stuff. Assuming they use cars, you start looking at traffic cams in the area. You're going to get some registrations. Fingerprints and DNA will be all over the place. Suspects you can put there are especially helpful if they say they have an alibi. You then ask who was with them and that expands your suspect list.

Unbeknownst to the investigators though, the hostage, was actually a fellow gang member posing a hostage, as part of the blood in. The member posing as a hostage, agreed to part of a staged assault, where she wouldn't really take much damage, since it was just a test to see if he could do it. So if this is completely unbeknownst to the police, the police believe the victim at face value and move on. Police have to have some reason to doubt her story.

The reason the gang did this, was in case the new recruit may not have been an undercover cop or something, they did not want to be caught with a real kidnapped hostage, and can create deniability of a crime, should the blood in be a set up.

So when the cop, arrests one of them, and saves the hostage, the hostage then makes up the story, that she and the arrested suspect are actually friends, and they were playing a role playing. So the police can investigate this and see if this is true. And this helps develop your suspect list. She's going to be hanging around gang members.

They say that they went out drinking the night before, met the others, and then brought them back to her property for a role playing fantasy game. The police ask her who the other's are and why they ran, and she says that since she met them and brought them back after a night of drinking, she didn't get their names, and just brought them back to play. Why they ran, she doesn't know and assumes they must be wanted for something else, she says. She of course does not want to name the others. The police ask where she was drinking. Presumably she's going to say some bar. The police then talk to the bar tender. Again, they can get a search warrant to look at all the transactions, including the credit card information.

She also reports a complaint towards the cop who rescued her, saying that he threatened her into testifying against her arrested friend, or he will make things bad for her in the future. Even though it's her word against the cops, she still wanted to complain anyway, just to save face to help her look innocent. The police will investigate, but that takes her story and gives a lot of justification for the police to search further without looking like they're investigating her.

The prosecutor, thinking that these two suspects could be part of the same gang, still tries to take it to a judge to see if there is anything more they can do, but a judge dismisses it on lack of evidence of a crime actually happening, aside from maybe mischief charges. This doesn't go to the judge. There's nothing here to charge them on, and any prosecutor who passed the Bar exam would know this. You send the woman home, with a warning to get a check to see if she has an STD and a warning that this sort of behavior can get you in trouble. Guy receives the male version of this warning. This would be accomplished in about two to six hours.

So there is not enough evidence to charge her or the other suspect, with any crimes, since it was just role playing, on her property, and there is no crime, and no victim of a crime. True, but lots of evidence for the police to search through and work on. After the other gang members get away and escape, they gas down the car with the phony plate and burn it. Which leaves a VIN number for the police to track down, and an arson charge. The building that the cop also spotted the fake blood in in, was also owned by the woman, so it doesn't lead to any other suspects, other than her and the on guy. Again, more information to work on.

Now I showed my story two people in law enforcement and they said that this is all reasonable suspicion that these people would be connected to that same gang, but since they committed no crime with no real victim to determine it, a judge cannot give out search warrants or wire tap orders to continue further in the case. I agree, but now you start working with all your new information. Unlikely you develop absolutely nothing from it. In this type of case, the big problem is getting that first break to the suspect. Once you have that, the police can use their massive resources and work everything. One search warrant I'd request, and fairly easy to get, is to put a GPS tracker on both of their cars. I'd also set up the traffic cams and cruisers to record whenever their cars are seen, which doesn't require a warrant.

So since the two suspects know that they are now on the police's radar, they are not going to participate in any more criminal activity with the rest of the gang and are going to law low. Which is why the police act like they believe her story. Second is I doubt they'll lay low for long. But you're looking for that contact. She said she met them at a bar and now you're getting evidence that they actually knew them. She lied. That's grounds for a wire tap with all the rest of this. Even without the GPS tracker, you can do a lot of tracking of vehicles. Lots and lots of traffic cams and many cruisers are equipped to do it. The only thing they are going to do, is have conversations with the gang on what is happening, and where their progress is at. The cops need to record these conversations to get more, but legally cannot get wire tap orders to do so, I was told.

As far as evidence that the gang needs to make disappear, I am not sure yet. I was throwing it out there as an idea, for the cops to be able to acquire something they could use. The cops' basis for believing that there is evidence that is going to be destroyed would depend on where I go with the story from here, but not sure where to go, since I was told that the cops could not get warrants to record conversations to find out more. I was told by a cop that this is not enough to get legal warrants or wire tap orders to move further. If that is the case, then what?

I am also looking back in the case seeing if I can find any jigsaw puzzle pieces that will build towards a suspect particularly. When it comes to the masks for example, can the police actually check every citizen for who bought one, all around the city, or state even?
They could, and have in some extreme cases. More it's to put together lists. The more little pieces you can put together, the better the case develops.

Jim Clark-Dawe

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Do more research on how cops and FBI actually investigate crimes. Research how criminals work. Research actual cases, or how criminal courts work. Research what qualifies as "terrorism", and how people investigate such terrorism. Look at real-life terrorism cases and the outcomes of such cases, etc.

I refuse to believe that there is absolutely no evidence for the police or FBI to look at. Without evidence of some kind, (which is unbelievable to me), you have absolutely no reason for an investigation, and thus, no story.

The criminals (and suspect) also don't make any sense to me. I doubt such criminals could be scared like that. I would think some criminals would find some workarounds or find other ways to commit their crimes, etc.

Be flexible in your story. Do some more research. Build your scenes on this new knowledge. (You can fudge it a little, but it's up to you on how "realistic" you want the scenes to be.)

Last edited:

ironpony

Registered
Reaction score
Based upon what you're saying, the alleged victim is quickly believed by the police to be lying to them. Based upon that assumption, most likely the police will talk to her, get a statement from her in writing, confirm with her that she's telling them the truth (believing that she's lying to them but forming a basis for a subsequent charge), and send her on the way. This assumes that the dude they catch tells them basically the same story.

I'm assuming they don't believe the victim in part because of other crimes of a similar nature going on. There may be another reason. But it doesn't seem that this incident matches the crimes. The MO is significantly different. The crimes occur inside rooms, not outdoors. There's also a question of how they are cleaning the crime scene. Normally bleach is used to destroy DNA, and one thing that the police would be looking for is a substantial amount of bleach. Of course, it could be sitting in the trunk of a car.

The basic idea works here, but details in the process get you in trouble. The car got away though. The cop only managed to arrest the one suspect. The car got away, and the other suspects, who are not identified burned the car. The woman hostage suspect makes up the story that she didn't get their names while drunk at the bar. So the police have no names to go on when it comes to who was in the car, that has no traceable plates, since the car was meant not be traceable. The M.O. is suppose to be different. Before the gang was committing real kidnappings, where as this is a blood in. So the difference in M.O. is intentional, and why the cops have trouble connecting the M.O. to the previous kidnappings. I haven't figured out how she is going to successfully lie about the bar, when it comes to the bar cameras though. Perhaps she could talk to a lot of people there, to the point where the police do not know who to look for?

And the male suspect who is arrested, does not say anything, remains silent and let's her do the talking since it's easier for one person to tell a lying story, compared to two people, where there could be a mismatch in the lies. The police cannot charge the suspect with burning the car though, cause he surrendered when the cop came into arrest them, and the others escaped, cause the cop can only hold him under arrest while protecting and rescuing the hostage. So the others escape in their car and then later burn it. So that suspect cannot be charged with that, cause the woman lies and says that she and him met the others while drunk the night before, do not know who they are, and did not make the decision with them, to burn their car.

I couldn't copy the quote you have below, but I will try to explain some insight on what happens in my scenario.

Yes, the police, once they have a suspect can use the credit car receipt as a brick in the wall, when it comes to that point.

As for checking the suspects vehicles, the suspects would not use vehicles that could be traced back to them, and I assume they would use ones with phony plates, and well as other identifications removed, that can be traced back to any owners.

When you say that when the police will check up on the woman's story and she will be hanging around other gang members, what do you mean by that? Do you mean she will be before or after, the blood in was discovered?

As for the police talking to the bartender the night before, I assume that the gang, if they were to create such a lie, would use cash only. The blood in lies are designed to be used in case the new recruit is an undercover cop and they don't know it. It's always a risk with a blood in. So when coming up with such a lie in case it is, wouldn't the gang already have the drunken night before covered, and pay cash? Also if the suspects lie successfully, and get away with it, are the cops allowed to look up credit card information, if their is no evidence to prove that the suspect is guilty of a crime? Can the police search a credit card based on reasonable suspicion alone, or do they need probable cause?

The police can look further into the woman, cause she files a complaint, but what will they find based on her filing a complaint only? She doesn't really give them anything specific to fish off of, does she?

And yes although a prosecutor would not normally go to court with case on such evidence, the prosecutor has his reasons to try, even though they are not what a prosecutor would normally do, I think his reasons are explained in his character, as he is under pressure, election wise, to stop this violent gang, and at least wants to show that he tried harder, rather than dismissing the only suspect in possible relation to the case he has, in two to six hours.

As for the police using the VIN number off the vehicle, since the gang is using this vehicle not only for kidnappings, but also for a blood in, they have no reason to keep the VIN number one, and would logically remove it. As for the Arson charge, the cops cannot charge the one suspect they have for that since that suspect surrendered immediately, while the others got away, cause the cop could only detain one, while rescuing the woman. The police cannot prove that this suspect was in collusion with the others, since the woman lies about she and him, meeting them while drunk and not knowing who they are.

How is the woman owning the house more information to go on though? All she does is own the house. It was never used in any of the other crimes, so how is that helpful, evidence wise?

The fact that the woman lied about meeting the guy in the bar, and they find that out though could work. You say that this and the other evidence is grounds for a wire tap. But if the vehicle has no VIN number on it, and the suspect surrendered long before the others get away and there is nothing to tie him to the suspects, would that still be grounds for a wire tap?

It seems to me, that maybe the bar evidence is all they have to go on, cause I think the other things you mention, might not have been logically left there as evidence, cause I don't know if the villains would have not covered those. Unless I am wrong?

You got me to think about a lot though. Thank you for your input.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score

The basic idea works here, but details in the process get you in trouble. The car got away though. The cop only managed to arrest the one suspect. The car got away, and the other suspects, who are not identified burned the car. How did the suspects get away? Flap their hands and fly? If they ran, that means they live close by or had cars hidden. If they drove, they'll show up on traffic cams. Do you have any idea how many traffic cams there are these days? Many places you can't drive without going a mile without hitting a traffic cam. The woman hostage suspect makes up the story that she didn't get their names while drunk at the bar. That's fine. Did everybody in the bar pay in cash? Bar tender doesn't know any of them? They never plan on going back to the bar? Bar owner is going to give up the bad guys so fast it will make your head spin, or bar owner loses his license. So the police have no names to go on when it comes to who was in the car, that has no traceable plates, since the car was meant not be traceable. The M.O. is suppose to be different. Before the gang was committing real kidnappings, where as this is a blood in. So the difference in M.O. is intentional, and why the cops have trouble connecting the M.O. to the previous kidnappings. Somehow the police have to connect this or they don't have any reason to question her story. I haven't figured out how she is going to successfully lie about the bar, when it comes to the bar cameras though. Perhaps she could talk to a lot of people there, to the point where the police do not know who to look for? They look at everybody. They find one she knows, and they've got proof she's lying.

And the male suspect who is arrested, does not say anything, remains silent and let's her do the talking since it's easier for one person to tell a lying story, compared to two people, where there could be a mismatch in the lies. Then the police are not going to believe her at all. If this was some kinky sex thing, he'd be talking his head off. If he doesn't talk, you know there's a reason for it and they'll start busting his balls. They'll figure she's lying because she's been threatened, and charge him with gang rape and hit him with a million plus bail. He's got to support her story or it isn't going to work. The police cannot charge the suspect with burning the car though, cause he surrendered when the cop came into arrest them, and the others escaped, cause the cop can only hold him under arrest while protecting and rescuing the hostage. So the others escape in their car and then later burn it. So that suspect cannot be charged with that, cause the woman lies and says that she and him met the others while drunk the night before, do not know who they are, and did not make the decision with them, to burn their car. True, but it makes it look like her story is bull shit. Police approach here to getting warrants is the "victim" was lying through her teeth.

I couldn't copy the quote you have below, but I will try to explain some insight on what happens in my scenario.

Yes, the police, once they have a suspect can use the credit car receipt as a brick in the wall, when it comes to that point.

As for checking the suspects vehicles, the suspects would not use vehicles that could be traced back to them, and I assume they would use ones with phony plates, and well as other identifications removed, that can be traced back to any owners. Many police cars now have a camera that reads license plates. If the license plate isn't legit, the cop is notified. You can't remove VIN numbers without removing the entire car. They'd be using stolen vehicles, and that gives the police another line to work. And there's a limit to how long you can work stolen cars without getting caught.

When you say that when the police will check up on the woman's story and she will be hanging around other gang members, what do you mean by that? Do you mean she will be before or after, the blood in was discovered? Presumably they are her friends. People tend to hang around with their friends.

As for the police talking to the bartender the night before, I assume that the gang, if they were to create such a lie, would use cash only. The blood in lies are designed to be used in case the new recruit is an undercover cop and they don't know it. It's always a risk with a blood in. So when coming up with such a lie in case it is, wouldn't the gang already have the drunken night before covered, and pay cash? And they go to some strange bar? You don't think the bar tender would wonder why all these strangers were showing up unless there is a convention is in town. And they're all paying in cash? Bars have to be licensed. They don't want to be involved in crimes. They're likely to ask the cops to send an undercover down to check out the situation. Also if the suspects lie successfully, and get away with it, are the cops allowed to look up credit card information, if their is no evidence to prove that the suspect is guilty of a crime? Once you buy something in a store, the record of the transaction belongs to the store. Many stores will happily give this sort of information to the police. Can the police search a credit card based on reasonable suspicion alone, or do they need probable cause? Neither of these standards are that high, but to investigate a specific bank account they need a search warrant.

The police can look further into the woman, cause she files a complaint, but what will they find based on her filing a complaint only? She doesn't really give them anything specific to fish off of, does she? Because with the complaint, the police can go asking for witnesses at the bar to investigate her complaint.

And yes although a prosecutor would not normally go to court with case on such evidence, the prosecutor has his reasons to try, even though they are not what a prosecutor would normally do, I think his reasons are explained in his character, as he is under pressure, election wise, to stop this violent gang, and at least wants to show that he tried harder, rather than dismissing the only suspect in possible relation to the case he has, in two to six hours. I'd like to be running against this incompetent. Why is he announcing this? This is part of an ongoing investigation and would not be released to the public.

As for the police using the VIN number off the vehicle, since the gang is using this vehicle not only for kidnappings, but also for a blood in, they have no reason to keep the VIN number one, and would logically remove it. Do you know how many places the VIN number is on a car? There are at least two on the engine block, neither of which can be removed and keep the engine running. As for the Arson charge, the cops cannot charge the one suspect they have for that since that suspect surrendered immediately, while the others got away, cause the cop could only detain one, while rescuing the woman. The police cannot prove that this suspect was in collusion with the others, since the woman lies about she and him, meeting them while drunk and not knowing who they are. But if the woman is telling the truth, why torch the vehicle? Both the woman and the man could be charged with conspiracy to commit arson, conspiracy to destroy evidence, lying to the police, and obstruction of justice. Based upon where you want the plot to go, I'd hold off on those charges, but there's enough here for an arrest warrant, and a good chance of winning at trial. And a good likelihood of them being stuck in jail because of a very high bail amount.

How is the woman owning the house more information to go on though? All she does is own the house. It was never used in any of the other crimes, so how is that helpful, evidence wise? Where did she get the money to buy it? Who does the repair work on the house? Who insures it? Who comes over there to visit her?

The fact that the woman lied about meeting the guy in the bar, and they find that out though could work. You say that this and the other evidence is grounds for a wire tap. She signed a statement that says the facts that she wrote in the statement are true. If the cops are really good, they'll get her to swear to it under penalties of perjury. Then they start looking for where they can find out she lied. Did she drive off in a blue car and it was really red? Did she order Manhattans and not Jello shots at the bar? Does she meet any of the dudes involved? As I'm setting this up, lying to the police is a crime. Once they can show she lied on her statement, and can present a coherent argument that she's connected to these rapes, there's enough evidence for a wire tap. But if the vehicle has no VIN number on it, and the suspect surrendered long before the others get away and there is nothing to tie him to the suspects, would that still be grounds for a wire tap?

It seems to me, that maybe the bar evidence is all they have to go on, cause I think the other things you mention, might not have been logically left there as evidence, cause I don't know if the villains would have not covered those. Unless I am wrong?

You got me to think about a lot though. Thank you for your input.

Jim Clark-Dawe

ironpony

Registered
Reaction score
Okay thanks.

I will think about the traffic camera one, and do some research there.

As for the blood in, not having the same M.O. as the other crimes, the police still suspect that it's the same people, cause of the masks and clothes of the suspects, who got away, as well as the arrested suspect. The clothes look the same and the cop saw a kidnapped woman about to be sexually assaulted by the new recruit for the blood in, before he intervened.

The other kidnappings had sexual assaults in them as well, so the cops think it COULD be connected, but they are really wanting to bust the gang and hoping they are.

As for the arrested suspect not opening his mouth to support her story, the suspect has the right to remain silent and does not have to talk. So even though she is the only one who tells the story, he is not breaking any laws, and they cannot charge him because there is no witness saying he gang raped anyone. All the police have is a witness who said it was just a fantasy role play. So how can they charge him and give him a million bail, with just that one witness, who is not going to accuse him of any crime?

I was told by a lawyer, when researching that they would have to let him go, because remaining silent is not enough to prove guilt for the charges to stick, especially if there is a witness, who says it was a role play. Is the lawyer I asked, wrong?

Even if her story looks like bullshit, can they get warrants cause it looks like bullshit or do they need more since again, no crime occurred with this suspect. Basically the way I wrote it, is that the cop's ask her why the other guy is remaining silent, and she says she doesn't know, and maybe his lawyer advised him not to talk for some reason, but she is just guessing. So basically the cops do not know why he is remaining silent, but there is still no crime. Even though the story is bullshit, there legally has to be a crime of some sort to move further, doesn't there?

You say the police can get a warrant cause the victim was lying through her teeth, but how do they know she is lying through her teeth?

What does the bar being licensed have to do with it? The bar is not involved in the crime and wouldn't know anything. The bar tender has a lot of customers to serve and would not be paying attention to the suspects who were there, compared to all the other people. Why would he/she?

When you say the cops will send a cop undercover, what would the undercover cop do exactly?

If the police can go asking at the bar to investigate her complaint, perhaps I can use that then.

Aside from the prosecutor not announcing it to the public, could the public find out another way? Well if the prosecutor will not take it to a judge then I will write it so that the case the suspect is let go, for lack of evidence of crime, before it reaches the point where a prosecutor takes it to a judge.

You say that there is a good chance of the suspects going to trial and loosing, but you haven't said on what charges exactly. There is no evidence of a kidnapping, assault or unlawful confinement crime since the supposed victim is denying all of it, so what charge would it be?

How can they be charged with conspiracy to arson? For example, if I went to a bar, picked up a woman, then took her home, let's say the next day the cops come, she sees them, and runs out to her car, drives away and burns. The cops will not charge me with conspiracy to arson, because I will tell them that I picked her up last night, and I do not remember her name cause I was drunk, and she took me home.

That will not be enough for a conspiracy to arson charge to stick, so why would it stick in this case? As far as lying to the police, if the police can prove they are lying, then yes. But is their any other proof other than checking with bar staff, who may have been too busy to remember those two specific people, and who they may have met, since they are too busy serving everyone?

Thanks for all the evidence ideas though. Some of them can be enough for a wire tap then. But I still do not understand how they can be charged with conspiracy to arson, or how the crime will stick, just because one told a story, where as the other exercised his right to remain silent and legally didn't have to talk at all.

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
No one has to talk to the cops. Remaining silent doesn't mean they can't, or won't keep asking questions or that you won't be charged with something. If that were the case, a lot of criminals would be wandering around free. If her story makes no sense, they'll keep investigating. If he's not talking, does he call a lawyer? Is his big plan just to sit, silently, and hope the cops throw up their hands and say 'oh well, he's not saying anything, might as well let him go?'

As for the traffic cameras - it's not just traffic cameras. There are cameras everyplace. Watch the news and see how many times they show footage of suspected criminals walking down the street, entering a building, driving off. This is the same as the gun thing - he buys it off the street so it's untraceable? It is very hard to make a gun untraceable. They have serial numbers, they're registered to dealers, to people, etc. They fire bullets. Even if someone uses a gun in a crime, then files off the serial number, the bullet may match bullets in a db, or the number can be restored, or etc. Police work.

Same as the room people are killed in - it's teeming with evidence.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Okay thanks.

I will think about the traffic camera one, and do some research there.

As for the blood in, not having the same M.O. as the other crimes, the police still suspect that it's the same people, cause of the masks and clothes of the suspects, who got away, as well as the arrested suspect. The clothes look the same and the cop saw a kidnapped woman about to be sexually assaulted by the new recruit for the blood in, before he intervened.

The other kidnappings had sexual assaults in them as well, so the cops think it COULD be connected, but they are really wanting to bust the gang and hoping they are.

As for the arrested suspect not opening his mouth to support her story, the suspect has the right to remain silent and does not have to talk. Absolutely. But that doesn't mean the cops are stupid. If he's not talking, there's a reason. So even though she is the only one who tells the story, he is not breaking any laws, and they cannot charge him because there is no witness saying he gang raped anyone. What about the cop??? He saw it, he busted in and interrupted it. All the police have is a witness who said it was just a fantasy role play. So how can they charge him and give him a million bail, with just that one witness, who is not going to accuse him of any crime? Rape victims frequently deny that a rape has occurred. You've got a cop who witnessed a rape, or he didn't have probable cause to break in on the situation. And the police suspect he's connected to multiple rapes. Might lose this at trial, but he's going to stay locked up on high bail. And police are allowed to develop evidence after an arrest.

I was told by a lawyer, when researching that they would have to let him go, because remaining silent is not enough to prove guilt for the charges to stick, especially if there is a witness, who says it was a role play. Is the lawyer I asked, wrong? Did you mention to the lawyer that a cop witnessed this rape? Cop testifies that there was a rape. "Victim" gets up and says it was role play. Couple of experts testify that victims often "minimize" and "deny." Who is the jury going to believe? And the woman's story is going to sound strange to the jurors, who are upright members of the community. They're going to have a hard time understanding a woman volunteering to be gangbanged.

Even if her story looks like bullshit, can they get warrants cause it looks like bullshit or do they need more since again, no crime occurred with this suspect. Have to prove that it is bullshit. Basically the way I wrote it, is that the cop's ask her why the other guy is remaining silent, and she says she doesn't know, and maybe his lawyer advised him not to talk for some reason, but she is just guessing. So basically the cops do not know why he is remaining silent, but there is still no crime. The cops know exactly why he's staying quiet. How dumb do you think the cops are? Even though the story is bullshit, there legally has to be a crime of some sort to move further, doesn't there? A cop witnessed a rape. That's a crime.

You say the police can get a warrant cause the victim was lying through her teeth, but how do they know she is lying through her teeth? Because they work every lead she gives them. This is what the police do. Her story has so many problems that it's going to unravel fairly quickly.

What does the bar being licensed have to do with it? Bars like to keep their licenses. Otherwise, they go out of business. They like to cooperate with the police. The bar is not involved in the crime and wouldn't know anything. The bar tender has a lot of customers to serve and would not be paying attention to the suspects who were there, compared to all the other people. Why would he/she? Bar tenders have to be good at identifying trouble. Bar tenders pay attention to their patrons.

When you say the cops will send a cop undercover, what would the undercover cop do exactly? Look. Listen. Record license plates. Pay attention. Listen for names.

If the police can go asking at the bar to investigate her complaint, perhaps I can use that then. Of course the police can go to the bar to investigate.

Aside from the prosecutor not announcing it to the public, could the public find out another way? Not unless a cop blabs. Well if the prosecutor will not take it to a judge then I will write it so that the case the suspect is let go, for lack of evidence of crime, before it reaches the point where a prosecutor takes it to a judge.

You say that there is a good chance of the suspects going to trial and loosing, but you haven't said on what charges exactly. conspiracy to commit arson, conspiracy to destroy evidence, lying to the police, and obstruction of justice There is no evidence of a kidnapping, assault or unlawful confinement crime since the supposed victim is denying all of it, so what charge would it be? And the cop is a witness to an assault and unlawful confinement.

How can they be charged with conspiracy to arson? For example, if I went to a bar, picked up a woman, then took her home, let's say the next day the cops come, she sees them, and runs out to her car, drives away and burns. The cops will not charge me with conspiracy to arson, because I will tell them that I picked her up last night, and I do not remember her name cause I was drunk, and she took me home. The car is burned so the police can't trace it. It has no plates (plates survive fire.) Here's how this plays out at trial. Cop testifies he saw a rape, busted in, captured the defendant, but a lot of suspects escaped. Then the police discovered a van on fire at the scene or immediately after leaving the scene. The van had no plates. The only reason the police can think of for the van to be torched is to destroy evidence.

Defendant says nothing.

What do you think the jury is going to do?

And upon conviction, the prosecutor is promising the defendant he's going down for ten or more years. Probably at a super-max prison. Of course, if the defendant wants to do some talking, maybe the state could live with a year county time.

What do you think the defendant is going to do?

That will not be enough for a conspiracy to arson charge to stick, so why would it stick in this case? As far as lying to the police, if the police can prove they are lying, then yes. But is their any other proof other than checking with bar staff, who may have been too busy to remember those two specific people, and who they may have met, since they are too busy serving everyone?

Thanks for all the evidence ideas though. Some of them can be enough for a wire tap then. But I still do not understand how they can be charged with conspiracy to arson, or how the crime will stick, just because one told a story, where as the other exercised his right to remain silent and legally didn't have to talk at all. I've defended reasonable doubt cases. They're extremely hard to win. And the police will have a burned van sitting in the parking lot of the courthouse for the jury to look at.

Jim Clark-Dawe

ironpony

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, if he is not talking there is a reason. But I was told by legal experts that I ask before, that the police cannot charge someone with a crime just because they are not talking, and that is not enough to go to trial.

The cop will say he saw a rape, but the woman will say she was acting and putting on a performance in roll play. Even if a jury thinks she might be in denial, the jury still needs her to actually say she was gang raped in order to find the defendant guilty.

The way I wrote it is, is that the case does not even go to to trial, because a judge decrees that there is not enough evidence of a crime, since the victim will not actually admit that any rape happened. So the judge does not take it to trial. The cops word is not enough, if the woman says she was acting and totally contests what the cop said.

And yes the cops know why he is staying quiet, but that the same time, it's not enough to go to trial. The way I wrote it is the defendant is being held on bail, until the woman talks. But since the woman talks right away, the prosecutor takes it to a judge, and the judge says not enough evidence, since it's the cops word against hers, and there needs to be a victim.

And yes the bar will cooperate with the police. If the bar tender noticed something, then I can put that in.

As for the defendant saying nothing, as to why the people who were there with him destroyed the car, yes that will look suspicious. I guess I could write it so that the defendant confirms what she says, after she tells the story if it's more logical for him to do so.

Even if the jury has a burned van to look at, is that enough to tie the two suspects to if, if they say they met those people when they were drunk at the bar? The cops would follow up on that, but I was told that a judge would not be able to take the case to trial, and the defendant would be free to go, until the investigation developed more. Is this true what I was told that the defendant would be let go, after the woman says she was acting and no rape happened? They cannot charge him if there is no victim who will say she is a victim. So how long can they hold someone in jail on bail, if there are no charges laid.

I asked a group of cops this, in my research before and they all said that if a judge drops the charges cause there is not enough evidence, then they can no longer hold the suspects in jail on bail. Is this true?

But I think we should start at the root of the evidence. The root being that in order to charge the suspect with rape, there has to be a victim. Will a jury convict someone of rape, if the court cannot produce any victim? Would the defendant's lawyer argue that unless the court can produce a victim, then there is no proof that any rape occurred. With that argument, would a judge bother to go to trial, and would a jury convict on a rape charge, if there was no victim? The cop says he saw a victim. But is that enough? The court cannot produce this victim to corroborate what the cop said.

Now I know you are a lawyer, and I don't mean to tell you what I know because you are the expert. But I don't understand why a jury would convict someone of rape, where the cop saw a woman tied up and struggling, but woman said it was consensual and she was just acting.

I do not understand how this is enough evidence for 12 people, to agree that this person is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, but that's me. Can you help me understand it so I know how the law works, and why a judge would feel confident in taking the case to trial with no victim?

Even if they torch a van, there is still not victim that says she is a victim, and is that still not a problem for the rape charge itself?

Basically I wrote it so that at the deposition, the prosecutor asks the woman why would the men burn a van if there was no rape and she it was a consensual act on her part. She says that she has no idea why they fled arrest and burned their vehicle. She says that since she does remember their names from being drunk before, that maybe they fled the police cause they were wanted for a separate crime. So she pretends to guess as to why.

Again her story is suspicious but is it enough to land a rape charge, if the does not say she was raped at all?

Also when it comes to the defendant not saying anything, I was told before, that usually defense attorneys prefer that the client doesn't talk. Is this not true though, and the lawyer would advise the client to talk and tell the same lie as the woman, since that was the story they both made up, in case the blood in were to fail? Would a defense attorney tell his client to lie to the police and court, so he doesn't appear guilty? Or would he tell him to not say anything?

Last edited:

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
First thing to make very clear is that an attorney cannot advise a client to lie. Ever. If we advise an attorney to lie in court, we can (and should) be disbarred. We don't have to cross-examine a client to insure that they are telling the truth, we can have doubts about their honesty, but we cannot advise the client or any witness to lie.

Second is that many states have amended their domestic violence and rape statutes to specifically not require the victim to testify. The victim can refuse to testify. Many experts will tell you in copious detail about why the victim won't testify. And the cop witnessed the assault. He might even have pictures of it on a body cam. And the cop has any ropes or other equipment used. Torn and damaged clothing will be introduced. Any bruises on the victim will be recorded on film and it's hard to do a consensual gangbang without bruising. A rape examination will be done, and there will almost always be tearing of the vagina and anus even with consensual gangbangs.

Understand that the porno films involving gangbangs are significantly different from even a consensual gangbang. There are lots of breaks in the filming, as scenes are cut to be filmed from different angles. The actress is given time to re-orient herself, as well as eat, drink, and go to the bathroom. So even in consensual gangbangs, the woman will have some damage.

Defendants don't testify at trial for two basic reasons -- they have a history we don't want the jury to know about and/or they are just really bad witnesses. Although a jury cannot infer anything from a defendant not testifying, they like to hear a defense from the defendant. Here the defendant can call the "victim" but she's probably going to be a bad witness. I doubt her story is going to improve with age, and I doubt she's going to be able to stand up to cross-examination. I also doubt that she's going to like that I'm going to have to paint her as a slut to the jury. Even sex addicts don't like to be portrayed as sluts.

So at trial, the cop puts in some physical evidence and testifies he saw a rape. Prosecutor also puts in the burned van. Defense calls the slut who loves gangbangs and says it was consensual. And the prosecutor, at the end of his closing, asks a simple question (that the defense knows is coming but can't answer) -- if this was so innocent, why was the van torched? The case isn't a slam dunk for the prosecutor, but the prosecutor can win it.

Now let's go back to the night this all happened. The guy isn't talking. If it was consensual, he'd be blabbing his head off. The woman has a story that's iffy. And there have been some serial rapes. Police will hold the guy for 48 hours, and then arrest him. The prosecutor starts off with, "The victim says it was consensual, but here's what we have that it wasn't" and goes through the list. The prosecutor is allowed to reference the other rapes. Defendant says nothing about the crime, other than pleading not guilty. (That's not the same thing as "innocent.") Prosecutor asks for a lot of bail, arguing the guy is probably connected to the serial rapes. Defense says there's no evidence of that and the prosecutor gets to repeat all of the evidence. Judge slams the defendant with a crap load of bail. All the judge has to have at this point is a reasonable belief that a crime occurred and that the defendant did it and that the defendant is a danger to society.

Later on, the defense files a motion to dismiss for insufficient evidence. At that point, the prosecutor has to present a prima facia case that there's enough evidence to convince. The cop testifies he saw a rape, and that's all the evidence the jury will need to support a conviction. The victim doesn't have to testify nor does she have to be believed by the jury. There's more than enough evidence to have this go to trial.

Two things I want to point out. The first is you're trying to cherry pick the evidence. In other words, if we ignore A and B, then C and D make the case we want. It doesn't work that way. Prosecutors and police are rather predictable people. They are going to look at the evidence in a way that is favorable to them. Applying pressure to this guy is a likely way to get at the gang. They're going to work at him.

Second is this forum isn't into telling people what they want to hear. If we met in person, I'd probably be agreeing with you as well. It would make my life easier.

A defendant has to be released if there is not enough evidence to hold the defendant. But the fact that the victim is denying that a crime occurred is not sufficient, in and off itself, to say that no crime occurred. You look at the totality of the circumstances. Here a cop says there was a crime that he witnessed. Victims are frequently known to deny that a crime occurred for many reasons. Victims of rape are especially known to deny that a crime occurred.

If the guy doesn't talk, they're going to charge him. If he says it was consensual, and she says it was consensual, the police, even if they don't believe it, are going to have to let the guy go. And both of them are going to be very separated at the police station.

Jim Clark-Dawe

Last edited: