PDA

View Full Version : Should I attend a writers' symposium?

Albdantesque
05-12-2016, 07:43 PM
I just received an invitation from a NYC college to attend a writers' symposium next month. Many NYC based writers will be there, some of them very famous. There will be literary agents, also, who are supposed to meet with aspiring writers.

Anyway, I never have been in symposiums, neither in writers' meet-ups. I have no idea what one could gain from these kinds of activities. Does not writing mean to sit in front of your pc all day and to not leave your room if not necessary?

Has anyone been in these kinds of symposiums? Are a 100$ worth the attendance (for a writer who does not write in English)?

Thanks!

Toothpaste
05-12-2016, 07:49 PM
Well there are many things to be gained from such activities: a sense of community and support in a very isolating business, some tips and tricks of the trade, inspiration and motivation, networking and making connections (especially with the agents).

But it really needs to depend on what you want to do. Do you need inspiration and advice? Do you want to get to know other writers? Are you at a place in your writing where you are ready to pitch to agents?

Also do your research, make sure the names attending this symposium are legit. Usually there is a fee, and $100 isn't terrible, but it needs to be a quality event with quality people and with a good reputation.

Albdantesque
05-12-2016, 08:11 PM
Well there are many things to be gained from such activities: a sense of community and support in a very isolating business, some tips and tricks of the trade, inspiration and motivation, networking and making connections (especially with the agents).

But it really needs to depend on what you want to do. Do you need inspiration and advice? Do you want to get to know other writers? Are you at a place in your writing where you are ready to pitch to agents?

Also do your research, make sure the names attending this symposium are legit. Usually there is a fee, and $100 isn't terrible, but it needs to be a quality event with quality people and with a good reputation.

Thanks for the advice. I will consider it!

Albdantesque
05-16-2016, 04:35 AM
I went to a writers' reading at OMI International Arts Center yesterday (only because it is 20 minutes from my home). It was nice, some promising writers read their excerpts. But I could not get in touch with someone, since I have hearing loss. Hence, I decided to give up the idea of attending a symposium. It is not worth the trouble to pay money for meetings where I hear something close to nothing.

Anyway, below is the link of the symposium I was talking about (it might be helpful to other writers). OMI residencies must be amazing too. As I said, however, I could hear something close to nothing yesterday. I need special attention to hear people and when they don't know you, you shouldn't expect that special attention lol I will give more efforts in front of my pc, but Toothpaste is right: to some people meetings with colleagues and literary agents might be helpful.

http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/thewritingcenter-ce/summer-symposium