PDA

View Full Version : Rockabilly Hair Poof

Fruitbat
05-12-2016, 06:39 PM
Does anyone know what that big hair lump on the top front of the head is called? I'm thinking of it on rockabilly women but it seemed kind of popular otherwise too, a few years back (or maybe now too, idk). I'm thinking it has a name and want to use it in my story. All I can find is "front bump" but I think it has another name. Yeah yeah, I know, I get the dumb question of the day award! :p

P.S. Also, any ideas on what would be a good town or city for a rockabilly story to take place in. I'm thinking somewhere near Appalachia but I don't know and I don't know if there's any one city that typically comes to mind with the word "rockabilly."

Don't want to spend too much time on research since it's a "Story a Day in May" flash story and once I start researching I tend to keep researching rather than get my story done. So any other rockabilly tidbits would be great, too. Thanks!

Katharine Tree
05-12-2016, 06:42 PM
I'm no expert, but "pompadour" and "bouffant" are the words that come to mind.

ironmikezero
05-12-2016, 07:36 PM
I think Katharine nailed it. As a kid in the '50s, I remember the pompadour & duck-tail for the cool & slightly sinister guys, and the bouffant & beehive for the cool & stylish girls. There was little stylistic difference between Rock'n'Roll and Rockabilly at the time.

Maryn
05-12-2016, 11:08 PM
Yeah, the front poof is a pompadour and the back flipping up a little is the duck-tail.

Maryn, who knows the same people ironmikezero does, obviously

Fruitbat
05-12-2016, 11:46 PM
Thanks, everyone so far. :)

Los Pollos Hermanos
05-13-2016, 02:07 AM
Found this piccie:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/58/38/70/583870e34428d68809f69a434aafd3d0.jpg

I know the DA was called the duck's arse in this neck of the woods! ;)

Bren McDonnall
05-13-2016, 03:27 AM
I'm no expert, but "pompadour" and "bouffant" are the words that come to mind.

Pompadour is the thing. Bouffant is the beehive hairdo the girls wore. Brylcreem or Vitalis were the grease and non-arasol hairspray respectively (Vitalis was literally the same concoction you got in hair spray, but in a bottle). The real big ones needed Brylcreem. Vitalis was for us regular kids with just that little speedbump.

Helix
05-13-2016, 03:34 AM
In men, the back was a DA and the front was a quiff (in UK and Aus, anyway). If you use 'quiff', make sure you spell it correctly.

Roxxsmom
05-13-2016, 03:38 AM
My mom was a teen in the 50s, and I remember her telling me that they called the back of the head (with those hairdos) a "duck's ass." I suppose it would be a bit too early to call the front the "Bob's Big Boy (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/86/Bob's_big_boy_statue_burbank_2013.jpg)" look, eh? I could ask her if there was a special word for the front of the hairdo in the 50s era US next time we talk.

Katharine Tree
05-13-2016, 04:09 AM
My mom was a teen in the 50s, and I remember her telling me that they called the back of the head (with those hairdos) a "duck's ass." I suppose it would be a bit too early to call the front the "Bob's Big Boy (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/86/Bob's_big_boy_statue_burbank_2013.jpg)" look, eh? I could ask her if there was a special word for the front of the hairdo in the 50s era US next time we talk.

The Big Boy's name changes with the franchise, interestingly enough. In my hometown it was Azar's Big Boy, which got me funny looks from my grandma, who was sure he was Frischer's Big Boy.

Roxxsmom
05-13-2016, 04:17 AM
The Big Boy's name changes with the franchise, interestingly enough. In my hometown it was Azar's Big Boy, which got me funny looks from my grandma, who was sure he was Frischer's Big Boy.

Every one I've seen has been Bob's Big Boy*, but maybe that's a CA thing?

*Not to be confused with the Bun Boy (http://barstow.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/20140215-025736.jpg), which used to be in Baker City, CA, next to the world's tallest thermometer (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/ca/Tallest_thermometer.jpg/240px-Tallest_thermometer.jpg). I'll admit, we always snickered when we drove past that place on road trips.

Maryn
05-13-2016, 04:39 PM
Where Mr. Maryn grew up, it was Shonie's Big Boy. For me, Bob's. Same logo and all. Weird.

mrsmig
05-13-2016, 04:50 PM
Does anyone know what that big hair lump on the top front of the head is called? I'm thinking of it on rockabilly women but it seemed kind of popular otherwise too, a few years back (or maybe now too, idk). I'm thinking it has a name and want to use it in my story. All I can find is "front bump" but I think it has another name. Yeah yeah, I know, I get the dumb question of the day award! :p

P.S. Also, any ideas on what would be a good town or city for a rockabilly story to take place in. I'm thinking somewhere near Appalachia but I don't know and I don't know if there's any one city that typically comes to mind with the word "rockabilly."

Don't want to spend too much time on research since it's a "Story a Day in May" flash story and once I start researching I tend to keep researching rather than get my story done. So any other rockabilly tidbits would be great, too. Thanks!

Rockabilly music has its roots in Memphis, TN. Think Carl Perkins, Elvis Presley, etc.