PDA

View Full Version : Protocol on a Referral

popmuze
05-12-2016, 02:01 AM
About ten days ago a fellow writer was kind enough to recommend me to his agent. At the agent's request he forwarded him my query and first five pages. Since then I haven't heard anything. Now I know most agents these days don't respond to queries unless they're interested in seeing more, and I know ten days may not be much time to make a judgement, but I always thought getting a referral from one of the agent's own writers meant at least some kind of (fairly quick) response, if not an automatic request for a full. I'm wondering if I should follow up somehow, either with the agent or with my friend. If so, how should I word the follow up?

Siri Kirpal
05-12-2016, 02:23 AM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I'd wait another couple of months to nudge. I'm not sure whether I'd contact the agent or the friend, but I'd word it the way I usually do, inquiring if the email was received and a reply sent, because I hadn't heard and was concerned the critter was rambling alone out in cyberspace.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

popmuze
05-13-2016, 11:03 PM
I just dropped the agent a quick note to see if he got the manuscript. To me it's a new low if an agent doesn't respond at all to a referral from a client. I think that's how I got at least three agents in the past.

elinor
05-15-2016, 09:05 PM
I just dropped the agent a quick note to see if he got the manuscript. To me it's a new low if an agent doesn't respond at all to a referral from a client. I think that's how I got at least three agents in the past.

You think that's how you got three agents in the past? I don't understand this sentence. You've had more than three agents already, and you don't remember exactly how you got them?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic or whatever, I just honestly don't understand what you mean.

Agents AFAIK treat referrals exactly the same as slush. Just because their client referred an author doesn't mean it's something they're looking for. It doesn't obligate the agent to read something they don't want to read.

popmuze
05-16-2016, 01:42 AM
You got that right. At least it was a quick rejection. The other times I landed the agent. I think I may have had seven agents by now but none in the last couple of years. They all blur into one after a while.